Lightworks, an Academy and Emmy award winning professional-grade editor with over 20 years of history in the film and broadcast industry. Having cut hundreds of films such as Pulp Fiction, The Departed, Centurion and Shutter Island, it includes a full feature set of editorial tools -- from advanced trimming and media management, to stereoscopic support and realtime effects including multiple secondary colour correctors. Lightworks has an advanced effects pipeline, utilizing the power of your GPU. And with support for up to 2K workflows with realtime effects, it is the most advanced editing application available. Lightworks Pro costs $120/year, more features, see version comparison.
OS:Windows Mac Linux
Version:14.0 / 14.5 Beta
14.0 / 14.5 Beta (March 21, 2018)
Visit developer's site
Download Lightworks 14.0 [64.4MB] [Win]
Download Lightworks 14.0 64-bit [ca 64.4MB] [Win64]
Download Lightworks 14.5 Beta [Win]
Download Lightworks 14.0 Mac [Mac]
Download Lightworks 14.0 Linux [Linux]
Download Lightworks old versions
14.5 revision 104711 PDF Icon
View full changelog
Welcome to the Version 14.5 Beta page
Here you will be able to view the list of fixes/changes between Beta builds. Please pay particular attention to the "Limitations and Known problems" list, as this may change with each new build.
To submit feedback on issues you find in the Beta versions:
Please start a Forum thread using the appropriate link below based on the operating system you are testing on. The Forum will allow you to submit issues you find or discuss how the application should be working:
Please make sure you have searched for the issue before creating a new thread, this should help stop duplicate threads being created. The more feedback we get, the faster we can resolve issues.
Cross Platform Fixes and Features Since 220.127.116.11 revision 104508 RC1
Added support for AC-3 audio in mp4/mov/m4v/m4a wrappers
Added support of variable frame rate files (.mov .mp4, .m4v)
Added new setting to the import panel for detecting variable frame rate media
Increase bitrate for higher frame rate YouTube/Vimeo/H.264 in line with YouTube recommendations
Fixed poor audio quality on YouTube/Vimeo/H.264 exports
Fixed MPEG-1 Layer2 audio in .MPG files not importing
Mac OS X Specific Fixes and Features Since 18.104.22.168 revision 104508 RC1
Windows Specific Fixes and Features Since 22.214.171.124 revision 104508 RC1
Linux Specific Fixes and Features Since 126.96.36.199 revision 104508 RC1
Cross Platform Limitations and Known Issues
Proxy files will not be created for files shorter than one second in length when set to H.264
Potential crash if attempting to export an image sequence from a sequence containing 16-bit DPX files
There is no ability to stream/play MP3 files on the import panel
Some MTS files will show pixelation on the start frames.
There is currently no way of searching for Groups
MTS files with two video streams (3D) will cause the MainConcept decoder to crash and Lightworks to close
The screen capture function is not currently working
CDDA ripping is no longer available
Potential crash importing QTRef files
Potential crash importing WMV files
Audio monitor delay setting will not be accounted for during export
There is no Firewire support
AVID DNxHD 10bit encode is not possible
Make sure any other applications are closed before attempting to install Lightworks
Video track can turn red after removing certain FX
.VOB files appear as "Sound" only on the import panel, but yet import with picture. Performance will be slow
Image quality on playback may be poor when project card set to NTSC Fields
You will not be able to transcode 1080p 60fps files on import to AVID DNxHD (MPEG AVI works correctly)
Blu-ray VC1 export does not generate a valid file. It imports back as Sound only
Audio on exported AVCHD files cannot be played by Windows Media Player it is just mute
The Record panel format must match the output format for successful recording to take place
Limitations and Known Problems on Mac 10.9 (Mavericks) and Higher
There is no ability to Import or Export .BMP image sequences
Any users running Macbook Pros MUST disable "Automatic graphics switching" under "Energy Saver" in the "System Preferences"
Lightworks will only run and 10.9 (Mavericks) and above
There is no H.264 MOV export
There is no Quicktime/MPEG4 export option
There is no FX Plugin support
There is no .WMV import
There is no Apple ProRes 4444 export option
There is no MPEG AVI option on Record/Render/Transcode/Export panels
There is no support for Matrox I/O hardware
The shared project feature is not currently working
Video overlay may change brightness on playback when running dual monitor setups
MTS playback may be poor
Limitations and Known Problems (Windows 32bit)
If the Matrox VFW codecs are installed on a Windows 8/8.1 system then you will not be able to open the export panel. Please uninstall the VFW codecs for the time being
Image on viewers and SDI output may look very poor on old ATI graphics card when set to 10-bit precision
Limitations and Known Problems (Windows 64bit)
There is no QuickTime Movie/MPEG4 import/export via Apple SDK
Premiere and After Effects plugins are not supported
Limitations and Known Problems (Linux 64bit)Audio content analysis is disabled
Limitations and Known Problems (Linux 64bit)
Please uninstall any previous Beta build before installing a new one
Tested distros (Other distributions may work, but have not been tested):
You may experience audio clicks/crackles when previewing Audio Network media
There is no Quicktime Movie/MPEG4 export option
There is no Mackie Audio Mixer support
There is no .WMV import
ATI and Nvidia cards are supported. EditShare recommends Nvidia for the best performance
Fraps AVIs will not import
There is no FX plugin support
No audio imported from OMFs (that do have embedded audio)
Audio may not be present on some Uncompressed AVIs
Do not use linux default GFX driver. If you experience the viewer playing at a reduced size then the Linux default graphics driver is installed. Please make sure the Nvidia driver is loaded an the system is restarted
Limitations and Known Issues With Matrox Hardware I/O (Windows only)
If your system is not fast enough or does not have enough memory, the captures using MXO2 will stop with a "dropped-frame" message
If the drives you are recording to are not fast enough the captures using MXO2 will stop with a "dropped-frame" message
Limitations and Known Issues With Blackmagic Hardware I/O (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X)
Input or Output only devices cannot be used. Lightworks requires both an Input and an Output to be present on the device.
The SDI output may flash when stopping playback if set to an interlaced output
Audio monitor level control has no effect on Blackmagic recordings
You will not be able to view video on the Blackmagic output if Precision is set to 10bit. Change to 8bit
There will be no audio playback when the project card is set to 1080p59.94
Limitations and Known Issues With AJA Hardware I/O (Windows and Mac OS X)
Audio monitor level control has no effect on AJA recording
There is no E-E when using the KONA LHi during recording
If your system is not fast enough or does not have enough memory, the captures using AJA devices will stop with a "dropped-frame" message
If the drives you are recording to are not fast enough the captures using AJA devices will stop with a "dropped-frame" message
On Kona 3G SDI 1 output must be used with Windows 32bit and SDI 2 output must be used with Windows 64bit
* Resolution, format and codec independent timeline
* Edit at 23.976, true 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, or 60 fps
* Advanced Multicam editing with unlimited sources
* Source/Record three-point editing
* Insert and Overwrite editing
* Replace, t to ll, backfill
* Drag-and-drop replace editing
* Extend and Split edits
* A/V Sync indicators on timeline
* Single-click re-sync of whole timeline
* Multi-colored markers for edits and clips
* Matchframe for clips and subclips
* Slip and Slide
* Remove and Delete
* Asymmetric, multitrack trimming
* Dynamic trimming during playback
* JKL trimming
* Trim window
* Timeline trimming
* Keyboard and numeric moving and trimming
* Close Gap
* Third Party Plugin Support
* Alpha Channel Matte Transitions
* Global Transitions adds effects between In and Out points
* Real-time effects in SD, HD and 2K
* Speed Tool for varispeed changes
* Keyframe graphs
* Transitions, effects, and filters included
* Unlimited effects user templates
* Copy and paste effect attributes to multiple clips
* Effects layers with node-based compositing tool
* Bezier curves with movable motion paths
* Numeric control and keyframe capabilities
* Real-time, hardware accurate video vectorscopes and waveform monitors
* Multitrack Audio Mixer with full bus routing and multiple mixes
* Keyboard and user interface customization tool with templates for Avid and FCP keyboard mappings
* On-screen console controls
* Voice Over tool for adding narration directly to timeline
* Multi-split screen Viewer for original shot comparison
* Shot Sync - sync two sources for playback comparison
* Customisable BITC timecode and film footage overlays in Viewer
* Real time Primary color correctors
* Real time Secondary color correctors
* Image control filters
* Subframe audio keyframing
* Real-time audio adjustments during playback
* OMF audio export with pan and volume levels
* Real-time, software-based audio normalization
* Onscreen multitrack mixing console
* External Mackie control surface support
* Real time fader automation
* Real-time audio filters and effects
* Mixed bit-rates and samples on timeline
* Audio level meters per track
* Pan controls
* Mute and solo controls
* Pre and Post Audio waveform display with realtime update
* Full-screen, real-time SD, HD, and 2K preview on single or secondary display
* Multiple timelines open simultaneously
* Unlimited undo levels
* Unlimited video and FX tracks
* User preferences that can be moved from system to system
* Customizable keyboard and user interface buttons
* Customizable real-time effects settings
* Customizable render settings
* Customizable layouts
* Customizable track layouts
* Full Unicode support
* Import RED media and DPX image sequences directly
* Include timecode and keycode in the same list
* Support for 35mm 3-perf, 35mm 4-perf, and 16mm-20 and mixed film formats
* View feet and frames in edit
* View keycode and ink number overlays on video
* 24-fps EDL import and export
* 24-fps EDL conversion to and from 29.97 fps
* Import ALE, FLX, and CSV files
* Track key numbers, ink numbers, video and audio timecode
* Output Cut list, Change list, Optical list, Pull list, Dupe list, Audio EDL
* Media management tools for moving, copying, and consolidating media at edit or project level
* Powerful search capabilities
* Rename Clips to match media and vice versa
* Maintain master clips across multiple projects
* Clip colors in edit (match by source, reel or timecode)
* Custom comment fields
* Automatic reconnect to high-resolution media
* EDL and AAF import and export for metadata exchange
* Instant Save – no need to save project
* Batch export
3rd Party Support
* Inscriber Titlemotion
* After Effects
* Premiere Plugins
* Digital Fusion
* MXF Op1a, MXF OpAtom, Quicktime and AVI
* DV25, DVCPRO 25, DVCPRO 50, and DVCPRO HD
* MPEG-2 I-Frame SD and HD
* Uncompressed SD and HD at 8 bit and 10 bit
* Avid DNxHD*
* Apple ProRes*
* RED R3D*
* DPX 10 bit* and 16 bit*
* Sony IMX
* Sony XDCAM HD*
* Sony XDCAM EX*
* Sony XDCAM HD422*
* Panasonic P2
* Image Import and Export as stills or sequences (DPX, BMP, TARGA, JPEG, GIF, PSD, TIFF, DPX, JPEG2000, PICT, QT Image, SGI, and PNG)
* Export presets for Apple TV, iPhone, iPod
* Broadcast Wave Format with drop and non-drop frame timecode options
* Import and Export OMF I and OMF II
* Import and Export AAF
* MDA support for Edit While Capture with Geevs servers
* Telecine 29.97i to 24p pulldown removal
* 30fps and 25fps import to 24fps project
* Frame-accurate capture tool with support for batch, clip, and on-the-fly capturing
* Frame-accurate insert and assemble edit-to-tape
* Serial device control (RS-422, RS-232)
* FireWire device control
* available separately at extra cost
Acronyms / Also Known As
Lightworks Pro, Editshare Lightworks,Lwks
Notify me when software updated or report software
Email me when it has been updated
Report this software (dead link/new version)
I installed LightWorks 11.5.1 in Linux Mint 16 x64. It runs great and is a very feature rich NLE. Using the free version, you can only export to YouTube ready 720p h.264/aac mp4. Very good editor overall for free and works great in Linux....
Apr 6, 2014 Version: 11.5.1
OS: Linux Ease of use: 9/10
Value for money: 10/10
|1 tool hits, Showing
= New tool since your last visit
= New version since your last visit
= New comment since your last visit
= New version
Type and download
NO MORE UPDATES?
= The software hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
NO LONGER DEVELOPED
= The software hasn't been updated in over 5 years.
= The software has been updated the last 31 days.
= Download Free software.
= Download Free software and also open source code.
= Download Free software but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation.
= Free Download software and open source code but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation.
= Also called shareware or demo. Free Trial version available for download and testing with usually a time limit or limited functions.
= No demo or trial available.
= A portable/standalone version is available. No installation is required.
v1.0.1 = Latest version available.
Download beta = It could be a Beta, RC(Release Candidate) or an Alpha / Nightly / Unstable version of the software.
= A direct link to the software download.
= Windows download version. It works on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.
= Windows 64-bit download version. It works only on 64-bit Windows.
= Mac download version. It works on 32-bit and 64-bit Mac OS.
= Mac OS download version. It works only on 64-bit Mac OS.
= Linux download version.
= Portable version. No installation is required.
= The software is bundled with advertising. Be careful when you install the software and disable addons that you don't want!
Visit developers site = A link to the software developer site.
Download (mirror link) = A mirror link to the software download. It may not contain the latest versions.
Download old versions = Free downloads of previous versions of the program.
Download 64-bit version = If you have a 64bit operating system you can download this version.
Download portable version = Portable/Standalone version meaning that no installation is required, just extract the files to a folder and run directly.
Portable version available = Download the portable version and you can just extract the files and run the program without installation.
Old versions available = Download old versions of the program.
Version history available = Complete changelog on our site.
= Windows version available.
= Mac OS version available.
= Linux version available.
Our hosted tools are virus and malware scanned with several antivirus programs using www.virustotal.com
Rating from 0-10.