Lightworks, an Academy and Emmy award winning professional-grade editor with over 20 years of history in the film and broadcast industry. Having cut hundreds of films such as Pulp Fiction, The Departed, Centurion and Shutter Island, it includes a full feature set of editorial tools -- from advanced trimming and media management, to stereoscopic support and realtime effects including multiple secondary colour correctors. Lightworks has an advanced effects pipeline, utilizing the power of your GPU. And with support for up to 2K workflows with realtime effects, it is the most advanced editing application available. Lightworks Pro costs $120/year, more features, see version comparison.
OS:Windows Mac Linux
Version:14.0 / 14.1 Beta
14.0 / 14.1 Beta (January 19, 2018)
Visit developer's site
Download Lightworks 14.0 [64.4MB] [Win]
Download Lightworks 14.0 64-bit [ca 64.4MB] [Win64]
Download Lightworks 14.1 Beta [Win]
Download Lightworks 14.0 Mac [Mac]
Download Lightworks 14.0 Linux [Linux]
14.1 revision 101109 PDF Icon
View full changelog
Welcome to the Version 14.1 Beta page.
Here you will be able to view the list of fixes/changes between Beta builds. Please pay particular attention to the "Limitations and Known problems" list, as this will change with each new build.
To submit feedback on issues you find in the Beta versions:
If your issue is not repeatable or you are unsure about how the application should be working, please first discuss the issue in the relevant category on the Lightworks Beta Forum sections:
Cross Platform Fixes and Features Since 18.104.22.168 revision 93145 Release
Added export option to Reaper (Lightworks Pro only)
Added Histogram graph to the Video Tools panel
Added Frame Rate search criteria to the Content Manager
Added ability to "slide" an effect crossfade trim so that the trim can be moved up/down the timeline without damaging the sequence as it currently does
Added ability to drag a dissolve up off removing it like when right clicking and selecting "Remove"
Added support for Quicktimes with Alpha Channels on Mac, Linux and Windows 64bit
Added new Italians wording file to the installer (Courtesy of Carmelo Batagglia)
Added new config entry: "stripv_insert_dropped_tiles 1" for changing Replace to Insert, when dragging tiles from a bin to a sequence
Added ability to scroll the sequence timeline without changing the current timeline marker position
Added ability to adjust RED R3D RAW metadata parameters (.rmd)
Added individual clip R3D decode settings panel next to the Metadata panel in Log view
Added project wide R3D Decode settings to the Video tab of the project card
Added 16-bit GPU precision replacing 10-bit
Added ability to acknowledge project wide LUT setting on export
Added ability to set a Ranged Cue Marker (Start and End point) Add a Mark/Park region then click the Cue Marker icon to create one
Added ability to restore deleted clips from Milestones (which restores the entire clip with media link)
Added support for media structures:
Added support for XDCAM HD folder structure
Added support for AVCHD folder structure
Added support for GFCAM folder structure
Added support for JVC folder structure
Added support for IkegamiFieldPak
Added support for GOPRO/FlipVideo/Canon folder structures
Added support for chunked Canon XF clips
Added 'Reveal > Media files' on timeline segments
Added support for creating proxies from 60fps media
Added right click "Render" option for clips in the sequence timeline in both layouts. Render button has been removed from the timeline in Flexible layout
Added keyboard shortcut commands for 'clipboard insert/replace & next'
Added new trimming functionality to prevent a trim being extended beyond the media available at the head or tail
Added support for Quicktime MOV files with Alpha Channels on Mac, Linux and Windows 64bit
Added an "Alignment" option on the BITC panel to prevent text appear in the wrong area
Added ability for title effect text to appear as a comment in EDL's (32 character limit)
Added ability to export a bin of contents to XML and JSON
Enhanced the Media tab of the Project Card
Added ability to set Proxy creation settings
Added abilility to set Transcode settings (Now removed from the Import cogs menu)
Fullscreen-preview can now be inhibited with the config.dat entry "doubleclickfor_fullscreen 0"
Increased the limit of undo/redo's in a project to a default of 20
Resurrected the timeline sync function in Fixed layout
Audio Effects can now be added to the Favourites list (Flexible layout)
Adding video tracks now respects stereoscopic sequences
Fixed various issues surrounding media management
Media files are now moved correctly
Proxy files are now moved and not deleted
Index files are now moved
Audio waveform files are no longer deleted when moving files
Fixed potential crash clicking Undo multiple times after deleting all the keyframes on a Curves effect
Fixed AAF export potentially failing if the sequence contains a dissolve at the very start
Fixed potential crash importing an AAF containing dissolves
Fixed Blend effect not removing the Alpha channel on clips that contain one
Fixed colour shift when playing back DPX sequences
Fixed invalid hyperlinks in the export log when the filename contains an '=' character
Fixed copy/paste on Clipboard timeline not always work as expected
Fixed potential crash moving mouse over tile
Fixed incorrect display of 960x720 anamorphic MP4 media
Fixed Effects nodes not always reconnecting correctly after removing a node
Fixed P2 AVC-Intra 'CONTENTS' folder causing all other media files alongside it to be hidden
Fixed Find clip to fill sequence not working if the clip has 32 or more characters as the Reel ID
Fixed deformed image and/or black frames on a clip after cancelling a transcode during file import
Fixed The 'Make subclip' key assignment not working on Prints
Fixed Lightworks.archive restores not restoring all the media links
Fixed Clipboard .ed5 growing very large over time affecting project performance
Fixed Unicode text copied from a Lightworks text-entry box not being correct when pasted
Fixed potential crash clicking undo after adding and grouping video tracks
Fixed Unicode BITC text not showing correctly
Fixed crash making an audio only Kemroll from audio only files
Fixed potential crash deleting a project with a corrupt .odb file
Fixed Incorrect duration/speed for image-sequences in 25fps projects
Fixed auto switching from Edit to VFW tab when dragging out an inline effect to it's own FX track (Fixed layout)
Fixed crash after using 'Make source into sequence' (Flexible layout)
Fixed creating a sequence of matches from the find matching clips panel from removing crossfades
Fixed archives containing multiple copies of the same file
Fixed floating Bins appearing in Fixed layout when dragging them outside the interface window
Fixed drag and drop of a Stereoscopic clip to an edit sequence not creating a stereoscopic sequence with a V1/2
Fixed create-link imports requiring forcible extraction not being revealed in the interface
Fixed odd behaviour importing a folder of clips more than once
Fixed AAF from AVID Media Composer not importing with the correct start timecode for V1 clips
Fixed potential crash changing the "Fullscreen preview monitor" setting
Fixed dropped frames on playback and audio drifting out of sync
Fixed the 'Make subclip' command not working for syncs
Fixed user interface not fitting correctly on 1366x768 monitors in Fixed layout
Fixed Fullscreen display not displaying a video when first entering a project
Fixed incorrect clip length in mixed rate projects, resulting in distorted audio and incorrect clip lengths and waveforms
Fixed misleading error message when exporting an archive to a location that is no longer available
Fixed black frames at the end of XDCAM MXF files
Fixed timecode not being continuous on .MP3 audio imports
Fixed Drag/drop of transition to head of sequence not always working
Fixed Vectorscope YCrCb tab showing the incorrect information when giving focus to a tile in a bin
Fixed the appearance of the out-point on the timeline for new sequences (with no defined length)
Fixed appearance of image-matte thumbnails on the routing panel (for non-matching aspect-ratios)
Fixed video routing panel not coming to the front when clicked on
Fixed incorrect colour on exported AVCHD files
Fixed incorrect sequence created when popping a tile out of a sequence viewer
Fixed alpha value resetting hue/saturation on colour effects
Fixed inconsistent menu lists appearing through other panels
Fixed Key assignments panel not updating correctly after adding a macro
Fixed "Cue Marker' shortcut not working from inside a macro
Fixed Offline audio-only clips not showing as 'Offline'
Fixed Lightworks Pro features requiring a software restart after upgrading from Lightworks Free to Lightworks Pro
Fixed align marks when more than one track is unjoined
Fixed bin modification handling in shared projects
Fixed timecode not appearing when inserting a clip into a new empty sequence (flexible layout)
Fixed out-point calculation error when generating Fusion comp files from multi-segment timelines
Fixed Clipboard Source keyboard shortcut key not working as expected
Fixed AAF exports with embedded audio
Fixed reading of PCM audio on AVI sample files
Fixed issues dragging the record sequence to the source viewer
Fixed incorrect image on Fullscreen output after closing and re opening after moving the timeline marker
Fixed incorrect number of frames reported for still images on the list of sources on Assistant Applications
Fixed the import panel opening larger than the screen
Now respect the PGUP keyboard shortcut in fixed layout mode
The list of available Fonts is not sorted correctly
Resurrected the "Fix sync" functionality ( now 'Align > Video and audio' )
Resurrected the Render functionality in the (Fixed layout)
Avoided creating shared media paths with double slashes in them
Ensured that it's possible to transfer sequence ownership from one user to another (using classic project sharing)
Don't allow sequence metadata to be changed when locked by another user
Don't try to enter an occupied room when double-clicking a project
Make sure that repeated nudging does not cause current - time to be incorrect
Use smallest size when duplicating image - should be the same
Make sure that it's possible to click cues which are coincident with the current-time
Fixed possible crash deleting the last cue in an edit / clip
Swap function now works as expected if you have an 'Out' mark
Fixed sequence cues in 24 fps project
Fixed additional added V track breaking multicam syncing on sequences
Fixed potential hang changing the video output format
Fixed decoding of 16bit DPX files
Recognise more compre...
* Resolution, format and codec independent timeline
* Edit at 23.976, true 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, or 60 fps
* Advanced Multicam editing with unlimited sources
* Source/Record three-point editing
* Insert and Overwrite editing
* Replace, t to ll, backfill
* Drag-and-drop replace editing
* Extend and Split edits
* A/V Sync indicators on timeline
* Single-click re-sync of whole timeline
* Multi-colored markers for edits and clips
* Matchframe for clips and subclips
* Slip and Slide
* Remove and Delete
* Asymmetric, multitrack trimming
* Dynamic trimming during playback
* JKL trimming
* Trim window
* Timeline trimming
* Keyboard and numeric moving and trimming
* Close Gap
* Third Party Plugin Support
* Alpha Channel Matte Transitions
* Global Transitions adds effects between In and Out points
* Real-time effects in SD, HD and 2K
* Speed Tool for varispeed changes
* Keyframe graphs
* Transitions, effects, and filters included
* Unlimited effects user templates
* Copy and paste effect attributes to multiple clips
* Effects layers with node-based compositing tool
* Bezier curves with movable motion paths
* Numeric control and keyframe capabilities
* Real-time, hardware accurate video vectorscopes and waveform monitors
* Multitrack Audio Mixer with full bus routing and multiple mixes
* Keyboard and user interface customization tool with templates for Avid and FCP keyboard mappings
* On-screen console controls
* Voice Over tool for adding narration directly to timeline
* Multi-split screen Viewer for original shot comparison
* Shot Sync - sync two sources for playback comparison
* Customisable BITC timecode and film footage overlays in Viewer
* Real time Primary color correctors
* Real time Secondary color correctors
* Image control filters
* Subframe audio keyframing
* Real-time audio adjustments during playback
* OMF audio export with pan and volume levels
* Real-time, software-based audio normalization
* Onscreen multitrack mixing console
* External Mackie control surface support
* Real time fader automation
* Real-time audio filters and effects
* Mixed bit-rates and samples on timeline
* Audio level meters per track
* Pan controls
* Mute and solo controls
* Pre and Post Audio waveform display with realtime update
* Full-screen, real-time SD, HD, and 2K preview on single or secondary display
* Multiple timelines open simultaneously
* Unlimited undo levels
* Unlimited video and FX tracks
* User preferences that can be moved from system to system
* Customizable keyboard and user interface buttons
* Customizable real-time effects settings
* Customizable render settings
* Customizable layouts
* Customizable track layouts
* Full Unicode support
* Import RED media and DPX image sequences directly
* Include timecode and keycode in the same list
* Support for 35mm 3-perf, 35mm 4-perf, and 16mm-20 and mixed film formats
* View feet and frames in edit
* View keycode and ink number overlays on video
* 24-fps EDL import and export
* 24-fps EDL conversion to and from 29.97 fps
* Import ALE, FLX, and CSV files
* Track key numbers, ink numbers, video and audio timecode
* Output Cut list, Change list, Optical list, Pull list, Dupe list, Audio EDL
* Media management tools for moving, copying, and consolidating media at edit or project level
* Powerful search capabilities
* Rename Clips to match media and vice versa
* Maintain master clips across multiple projects
* Clip colors in edit (match by source, reel or timecode)
* Custom comment fields
* Automatic reconnect to high-resolution media
* EDL and AAF import and export for metadata exchange
* Instant Save – no need to save project
* Batch export
3rd Party Support
* Inscriber Titlemotion
* After Effects
* Premiere Plugins
* Digital Fusion
* MXF Op1a, MXF OpAtom, Quicktime and AVI
* DV25, DVCPRO 25, DVCPRO 50, and DVCPRO HD
* MPEG-2 I-Frame SD and HD
* Uncompressed SD and HD at 8 bit and 10 bit
* Avid DNxHD*
* Apple ProRes*
* RED R3D*
* DPX 10 bit* and 16 bit*
* Sony IMX
* Sony XDCAM HD*
* Sony XDCAM EX*
* Sony XDCAM HD422*
* Panasonic P2
* Image Import and Export as stills or sequences (DPX, BMP, TARGA, JPEG, GIF, PSD, TIFF, DPX, JPEG2000, PICT, QT Image, SGI, and PNG)
* Export presets for Apple TV, iPhone, iPod
* Broadcast Wave Format with drop and non-drop frame timecode options
* Import and Export OMF I and OMF II
* Import and Export AAF
* MDA support for Edit While Capture with Geevs servers
* Telecine 29.97i to 24p pulldown removal
* 30fps and 25fps import to 24fps project
* Frame-accurate capture tool with support for batch, clip, and on-the-fly capturing
* Frame-accurate insert and assemble edit-to-tape
* Serial device control (RS-422, RS-232)
* FireWire device control
* available separately at extra cost
Acronyms / Also Known As
Lightworks Pro, Editshare Lightworks,Lwks
Notify me when software updated or report software
Email me when it has been updated
Report this software (dead link/new version)
I installed LightWorks 11.5.1 in Linux Mint 16 x64. It runs great and is a very feature rich NLE. Using the free version, you can only export to YouTube ready 720p h.264/aac mp4. Very good editor overall for free and works great in Linux....
Apr 6, 2014 Version: 11.5.1
OS: Linux Ease of use: 9/10
Value for money: 10/10
|1 tool hits, Showing
= New tool since your last visit
= New version since your last visit
= New comment since your last visit
= New version
Type and download
NO MORE UPDATES?
= The software hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
NO LONGER DEVELOPED
= The software hasn't been updated in over 5 years.
= The software has been updated the last 31 days.
= Download Free software.
= Download Free software and also open source code.
= Download Free software but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation.
= Free Download software and open source code but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation.
= Also called shareware or demo. Free Trial version available for download and testing with usually a time limit or limited functions.
= No demo or trial available.
= A portable/standalone version is available. No installation is required.
v1.0.1 = Latest version available.
Download beta = It could be a Beta, RC(Release Candidate) or an Alpha / Nightly / Unstable version of the software.
= A direct link to the software download.
= Windows download version. It works on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.
= Windows 64-bit download version. It works only on 64-bit Windows.
= Mac download version. It works on 32-bit and 64-bit Mac OS.
= Mac OS download version. It works only on 64-bit Mac OS.
= Linux download version.
= Portable version. No installation is required.
= The software is bundled with advertising. Be careful when you install the software and disable addons that you don't want!
Visit developers site = A link to the software developer site.
Download (mirror link) = A mirror link to the software download. It may not contain the latest versions.
Download old versions = Free downloads of previous versions of the program.
Download 64-bit version = If you have a 64bit operating system you can download this version.
Download portable version = Portable/Standalone version meaning that no installation is required, just extract the files to a folder and run directly.
Portable version available = Download the portable version and you can just extract the files and run the program without installation.
Old versions available = Download old versions of the program.
Version history available = Complete changelog on our site.
= Windows version available.
= Mac OS version available.
= Linux version available.
Our hosted tools are virus and malware scanned with several antivirus programs using www.virustotal.com
Rating from 0-10.