Asfbin is a intuitive, fast and reliable tool for processing ASF and WMV files. This makes Asfbin especially powerful when it comes to fixing damaged ASF/WMV files. It can repair almost all types of errors within your favourite video files. Cutting fragments out of all ASF files, precise joining files or selected fragments into one ASF file. Now AsfBin tool comes along with AsfBinWin application, which, thanks to an easy to use user interface and its preview capabilities, makes work with video files really simple. Requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable.
Version:1.8.2 WIN / 1.8.3 CMD
1.8.2 WIN / 1.8.3 CMD (January 31, 2012)
Visit developer's site
Download AsfBin 1.8.2 WIN [262.2KB] [Win] [Portable]
Download AsfBin 1.8.3 CMD [253.8KB] [Win]
Download AsfBin Linux version [281.6KB] [Linux]
Download AsfBin old versions
What's new in version 1.8.3 Command line
1. Added output file duration micro-corrections to make it more precise when joining multiple files together.
2. All markers, scripts and attributes input files used to provide the list of data to embed in the resulting output file now can handle correctly UTF-8 text files allowing using any languages like Japanese or Arabic. Escape characters may be now used. IMPORTANT! To get '' into ASF file you need to escape it by doubling it ('').
3. AsfBin can fix files that were having incorrect entries in the metadata object preventing it from playing by major video players like VLC or Media Player Classic.
What's new in version 1.8.2
1. Corrected issue with processing large files having script command stream. Asfbin was running out of memory in these cases (for files >2GB).
2. Corrected codec initialization function when joining two segments and the first segment does not have samples in a stream for which we are initializing a codec.
What's new in version 1.8.1
1. A bug connected with processing files containing script command stream corrected has been fixed. The total time spread of all samples gathered in a single packet could go beyond 65536 ms, what was against ASF specification.
2. Fixed Asfbin issue of loosing last script command sample.
3. Fixed issue of timing of script commands and markers stored in ASF header after cutting out fragments from an original file when actual start time differs from demanded time due to distand key frame location.
4. FINALLY, thousands of tests was performed to find and correct any existing bugs.
What's new in version 1.8.1
1. The way Markers and Script commands are stored where radically changed to sort out the continuous problems with them.
2. Fixed markers dialog and script commands dialog. Now you can edit them and it works. You can delete existing markers, add new ones or change times or text of exisitng markers. It applies also to script commands.
3. Attributes setting dialog was fixed.
4. Pressing Enter was closing AsfBinWin. Now Enter acts as Space on buttons or confirmation action on other active elements.
5. Fixed routine that was checking if we are not writing to one of the ibput files.
What's new in version 1.8.0
1. Finally added preview window allowing you precisely selecttimes when editing should take place. The are multiple ways of selecting time: - keys (arrows, page up/down, home/end) - mouse - speed modifiers (hold Shift and/or Control keys to modify the behaviour) Preview allows you to select which video stream to view andcan snap time to an exact frame presentation time.
2. All path inputs are equipped with AutoComplete feature speeding up the process of typing path (input/output paths). You can still use the Browse button to open the standard Open/Save dialog.
3. Most of the crucial controls have Tooltips associated explaining how to use them.
4. Range slider, allowing you to select time ranges within selected files nicely show you by using different colors where each file, constituting the virtually connected file, starts and ends.
5. Ability to invert selected ranges by just one button click.
6. Advanced setting dialog simplified.
7. Logging capability added. You can select one of 3 availableverbosity levels when writing to the log file.
8. You can load and save Script Command to and from external file.
9. You can load and save Markers to and from external file.
10. When precise recompression is not possible due to missing codeds warning signs are shown (with associated tool tips).
11. Preview window position can be snapped to the main window edges.
What's new in version 1.7.14
1. Corrected issue with processing over 4GB files.
2. Corrected problem with scripts not beeing copied from the original file if copying range was not specified.
3. Corrected the issue with the script samples distance limitation that was set to 65s. Now it can be unlimited.
What's new in version 1.7.1
1. Totally rewritten sample packing algorithm so even multiaudio files with no video are packed optimally. This will also fix problems with files containing script commands and some issues with streaming ASF files via Windows Media Server.
2. Finally added DMO support when recompressing video. By using one of two new switches -vcm and -dmo a desired technology can be selected. By default it is VCM.
3. Added -infohdr switch to show all info from ASF header.
4. Added -optps switch that calculates the optimal size of the packet to minimize data padding.
5. Corrected timing of script commands and markers stored in the header after cutting out fragments from an original file when actual start time differs from demanded time due to distand key frame location.
6. Removed size limitation of record data in metadata objects in header.
What's new in version 1.6.1
1. The total file size info kept in the ASF header was not properly updated. This resulted in lack of seeking possibilities when streaming processed file via Windows Media Server.
2. Bug connected with processing files containing script command stream corrected. The total time spread of all samples gathered in a single packet could go beyond 65536 ms, what was against ASF specification.
3. Asfbin was losing last script command sample. This bug is corrected in this version.
What's new in version 1.6.0
1. FINALLY! After 3 years! Solved the mistery behind the old tape effect in the Windows Media Player - defeated buggy jitter correction algorithm in the MS WMPlayer produtcs! It was possible by adding audio decompression feature to asfbin and thus real sample duration measurement became possible. An advanced junction optimization algorithm was implement resulting in smooth connections between audio tracks of joined ASF files.
2. Added new switches allowing to set creation time of a resulting file to the time of the source file properly corrected by the start time offset (-act). Second related switch is -nots which causes all sample times remain as in original files.
3. Added possibility to process files still recorded by live stream recording software or WMS archive plugin. Other corrections was made in order to repair almost all cases of damaged files.
4. Optimized file processing. Time spared thanks to those optimizations is used to calculate precise audio junctions (this needs some audio samples to be uncompressed).
5. Some minor issues with segment cutting and joining were corrected.
6. Thousands of tests was performed to find and correct any existing bugs.
What's new in version 1.5
1. New quality in cutting ASF files! AsfBin is capable to cut files at any position with the accuracy to one video frame regardless there is a key frame or not, while maintaining maximum fidelity to the original. To enable this feature use -rkf switch. This is not enabled by default because so far not all video formats are supported.
2. To perform system configuration check in order to enable as many codecs as possible for AsfBin use -cfg switch. AsfBin performs this check anyway, but only once for given Windows configuration.
3. Improved recovery of damaged ASF files.
Features added in version 1.1:
- Saving segments to a separate ASF files
- Inverting selection, so you can easily point the fragment to be deleted
- Adding markers and commands (at last!)
- Delaying selected streams (not necessarily audio streams)
- Printing out information on key frames location
- Control over the type of indexing
- Cutting fragments adjusted precisely to key frames locations
What's new in version 1.0.3:
1. Improved packet data repair routines. Some damages (1-3 bytes long) withing packet or sample data can be repaired.
2. Improved searching for time range withing data packets when some packets are damaged or not conforming ASF specification.
3. Removed bug causing script commands not to be written.
4. Correcting bug causing bad padding data handling. Speeding up packets reading.
5. Other improvements of data packets reading.
6. Improved header reading routines. Asfbin is much more error-proof when it comes to header parsing.
7. Asfbin can now index files larger than 4GB.
8. When connecting a file with the script commands or markers with a file having no such objects, asfcut was crashing. This bug is removed.
What's new in version 1.0.2:
1. Major Win95, 98, Me incompatibilities fixed. The function for opening files were Unicode version only. That caused no input file could be opened by asfbin in the Win9x. That proofs clearly that asfbin 1.0.1 wasn't "strongly" tested under Win9x enviroment. ;-)
2. Major improvements in a header parsing code. Now some errors in the header will cause only minimal loss of data.
3. Code review detected many weak points, where application might crash.
4. Limit to pack only one audio sample in a packet was removed. The limit was introduced because some players were loosing audio when playing resulting files. And I supposed that the lack of this limitation was causing such a behavior. It was not true. Also processing of some files could be very slow.
5. Files with empty streams (with no samples in it) were processed terribly slow. This bug is already removed.
6. Removed a bug connected with indexing of files having hidded streams.
7. When removing a stream the information on bitrate mutual exclusion wasn't updated. Now it is correct.
8. In some very rare case packets were built inefficiently breaching ASF specification. Also for some very large packet sizes, payload count could overflow the limit of 64 payload per packet. Already correct.
What's new in version 1.0.1:
1. Corrected minor bug in the displaying duration of processed segments. The on-screen message said alway that duration was to the end. The output files weren't affected by this bug.
2. Corrected bugs when reading segments from segments file.
3. Corrected bug cousing file not to be written when the first sample time was smaller than the preroll time.
AsfBinWin main features:
fixing damaged and/or unseekable files,
cutting fragments out of all ASF files,
precise joining files or selected fragments into one ASF file,
single frame accuracy and loseless processing,
video preview with stream selection,
DMO and VCM codecs support,
removing selected streams,
editing scripts and markers,
optimizing packet size to reduce file size,
logging actions into a specified file...
Acronyms / Also Known As
AsfBin, AsfBinGUI, AsfBin Gui, AsfBinWin, AsfBin Download AsfBin portable download
Notify me when software updated or report software
Email me when it has been updated
Report this tool (dead link/new version)
It works perfect but the GUI is the worst I ever seen, you have to search for the directory where the files are located and then the program will load ALL the files in the directory, then you have to add those you want to join to the "input file list" one by one, why the author didn't add drag&drop support instead this is beyond my comprehension.
May 30, 2016 Version: 1.8
OS: Windows 7 64-bit Ease of use: 3/10
@Peppino: WMV describes just Microsoft's video stream format. Their audio stream format is WMA and their container format is called ASF. Technically, a WMV file which consists of video and audio is actually an ASF file with a wrong file extension. Windows (and most other systems) doesn't care much about this mix-up since both endings would lead to the same media handling process. It's just the people who often get fooled by the file endings and think WMV is a complete multi media file format.
AsfBin is btw. one of the best free tools to handle Microsoft's non-free stuff.
Sep 11, 2014 Version: 1.8.2
OS: WinXP Ease of use: 10/10
Using Asfbin I was able to fix 99% of non-seekable or stalled WMV videos I threw at it. That and the Microsoft Windows Media Encoder Stream Editor are the only tools you'll need to work on problematic WMV & WMV-HD videos.
The only thing I don't understand is when you input a WMV in Asfbin it outputs it as ASF only. I wonder why it doesn't give you the option for WMV as well.
Sep 11, 2014 Version: 184.108.40.2064
OS: Windows 7 64-bit Ease of use: 10/10
This application needs a tag to "Windows Media Player Error Message C00D11B1". I spent at least a half a day looking for a way to solve for this error message. I stumbled onto this app through this forum, after hours of searching. With the number of search results I found, I am hardly the only one needing help. Every time I tried to watch a video, it threw the error message previously mentioned and crashed the player.
I downloaded the application, and selected the file that was giving me the error message. Then I stared at the screen for about 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do next. That would be my only complaint. I saw the "cut/copy/join" button but that was the last thing I would have thought I needed. As a last resort I clicked on that button and boom, the new file was created. I have played the video now without a problem. Thanks for your help.
May 29, 2014 Version: 1.8
OS: Windows 8 64-bit Ease of use: 5/10
Worked perfectly for fixing corrupted WMV files.
Would be good if output files could renamed automatically to something similiar to the input file's name, instead of a generic filename.
Aug 28, 2012 Version: 1.8
OS: Windows 7 Ease of use: 10/10
|1 tool hits, Showing
= New tool since your last visit
= New version since your last visit
= New comment since your last visit
= New version
Type and download
NO MORE UPDATES?
= The software hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
NO LONGER DEVELOPED
= The software hasn't been updated in over 5 years.
= The software has been updated the last 31 days.
= Free software.
= Free software and also open source code.
= Free software but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation.
= Free software and open source code but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation.
= Also called shareware or demo. Trial version available for download and testing with usually a time limit or limited functions.
= No demo or trial available.
= A portable/standalone version is available. No installation is required.
v1.0.1 = Latest version available.
Download beta = It could be a Beta, RC(Release Candidate) or an Alpha / Nightly / Unstable version of the software.
= A direct link to the software download.
= Windows download version. It works on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.
= Windows 64-bit download version. It works only on 64-bit Windows.
= Mac download version. It works on 32-bit and 64-bit Mac OS.
= Mac OS download version. It works only on 64-bit Mac OS.
= Linux download version.
= Portable version. No installation is required.
= The software is bundled with advertising. Be careful when you install the software and disable addons that you don't want!
Visit developers site = A link to the software developer site.
Download (mirror link) = A mirror link to the software download. It may not contain the latest versions.
Download old versions = Free downloads of previous versions of the program.
Download 64-bit version = If you have a 64bit operating system you can download this version.
Download portable version = Portable/Standalone version meaning that no installation is required, just extract the files to a folder and run directly.
Portable version available = Download the portable version and you can just extract the files and run the program without installation.
Old versions available = Download old versions of the program.
Version history available = Complete changelog on our site.
= Windows version available.
= Mac OS version available.
= Linux version available.
Our hosted tools are virus and malware scanned with several antivirus programs using www.virustotal.com
Rating from 0-10.