VideoInspector is a tool to retrieve all interesting details about a video file(AVI, MKV, MPG, MPEG2, MOV, MP4). This can be used to solve codec related problems. Also Windows Shell Integration, right click on a video file and select open with VideoInspector. Former known as VideoToolBox. ADWARE ALERT! The installation contains optional adware like software suggestions, browser toolbars, etc.
VideoInspector - 2.2.1
- 0001008: [New Feature] Smarter "Register Context Menu" auto procedure (if no lang change)
- 0001006: [New Feature] m2p file association
- 0001000: [Bug] File size not displayed in case of invalid file
- 0001007: [Bug] Wrong message if AVIToolbox not installed
VideoInspector - 2.1
- 0000942: [New Feature] Xvid Version Detection (based on SUMo)
- 0000943: [New Feature] FFDShow Version Detection (based on SUMo)
- 0000923: [Bug] Uninstall icon is incorrect, displays as recycling bin.
VideoInspector - 2.0.2
- 0000831: [New Feature] m2p file association
- 0000881: [Refactoring] Exact file size shall be exported to Excel instead of approx. size
VideoInspector - 18.104.22.168
- 0000767: [Refactoring] Context menu items shall be translated (Kyle_Katarn) - resolved.
- 0000814: [Bug] Error message when setting file association (Kyle_Katarn) - resolved.
VideoInspector - 22.214.171.124
Add m2p (MPEG) files support
VideoInspector shall be able to launch AVIToolbox
When 3rd party product is required, action shall be canceled if product is missing
FourCC changer / Bitrate viewer menu item shall be enabled for AVI only
VideoInspector looks old fashioned
Left panel not displayed correctly with XP/Vista theme (Manifest)
"Batch" window not centered
"Play" not displayed correctly
Improved Vista compatibility
FPS shall be displayed with 3 digits
VideoInspector - 1.11.1
- 0000274: [New Feature] New operation : File->Delete from disk (Kyle_Katarn)
- 0000343: [Bug] When nothing is loaded, "Edit FourCC" crashes (Kyle_Katarn)
- 0000288: [Bug] When nothing is loaded, "Export" function does nothing.... but without feedback (Kyle_Katarn)
VideoInspector - 1.11
- 0000280: [Bug] Product name shall be VideoInspector (Kyle_Katarn)
- 0000265: [Bug] As VideoInspector is freeware the "Enter licence" button shall not be visible (Kyle_Katarn)
- 0000261: [Refactoring] On the Settings page, anonymous information shall be made more explicit. (Kyle_Katarn)
- 0000262: [Refactoring] "Burn" menu shall be moved to Extra tools (Kyle_Katarn)
VideoInspector - 1.10.1
- 0000186: [Bug] Item #107 Control Name QuestionDlg says "Qestion" not "Question" (Kyle_Katarn)
- 0000182: [Bug] Unhandled exception when openning a non-supported file (Kyle_Katarn)
VideoInspector - 1.10
- 0000152: [Bug] Incorrect FPS for Matroska (specific case) (Kyle_Katarn)
- 0000153: [Bug] If no codec FourCC is found in file, Xvid is displayed & grayed (Kyle_Katarn)
- 0000151: [Bug] Matroska files duration incorrectly reported if TimeScale different from its default value (Kyle_Katarn)
VideoInspector - 1.9.2
- 0000132: [Refactoring] In FCC Editor, "Apply" should be set as default action (Kyle_Katarn)
VTB v126.96.36.199 [07/10/2004]
@ Internal software integrity check (again)
@ Zip (no install) distribution is back !
VTB v188.8.131.52 [24/09/2004]
@ Internal software integrity check
# Software named changed from VideoToolbox to VideoInspector
VTB v184.108.40.206 [14/09/2004]
# Fixed crash when using "Open With VideoToolbox" context menu due to a bug introduced by v220.127.116.11
VTB v18.104.22.168 [01/09/2004]
+ Add DV Type-1 AVI Files Containing One DV Data Stream (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directshow/htm/dvdataintheavifileformat.asp)
+ New codec database : MiCDB : (http://micdb.free.fr for details). Video Codecs : 438, Audio Codecs : 191
@ Improved Codec management routines
VTB v22.214.171.124 [26/07/2004]
+ New feature : Indicates if required codec is installed
+ [Settings] Add/Remove Context menu (Open With VideoToolbox)
+ [Batch Exporter] "Reset" button
+ Available as a Zip file (no installer)
@ Export function now saves file name and asks for output directory
@ GUI Layout (again, again... and again !)
@ [Settings] GUI Layout
@ [Install Script] Start Menu Icons can be disabled
@ [Install Script] context menu item can be disabled
@ Language Files
# [Installed Codecs Lister] Audio codecs infos displayed.
# [Installed Codecs Lister] Form can be maximized properly.
# [Batch Exporter] Root (ie : c:) are no longer considered as invalid output directory
# Message boxes shouldn't use french caption for yes/no buttons anymore.
VTB v0.9.8.48 [19/07/2004]
+ New features : lists installed Audio & Video Codecs
@ GUI Layout (again)
# Display bug with large fonts fixed.
VTB v0.9.7.47 [15/07/2004]
+ "Batch" feature. Exports results to CSV / HTML files for multiples video files
# Play and burn where disabled when loading file by drag'n'drop
VTB v0.8.0.35 [08/02/2004]
+ QuickTime Support
+ Indonesian language file
+ [MPEG] : Added support for "mpe" file extension
@ [CodecDB] : More explicit AAC codec names for Matroska
@ [MPEG] : Format detection
# [MPEG] : Duration detection on small files
# [MKV] : Resolution detection
I was thoroughly unimpressed. The notes SPECIFICALLY mention MP4 files as being supported. That was SPECIFICALLY why I downloaded it. And all my MP4 files were SPECIFICALLY not listed. Also could not get the shell extension to work. Did I mention I was not impressed?
This software is so flawed, I don't know where to start! Codec names are the only things right, for the other properties such as bitrates and what not, try it and you'll see. Encode a few minutes of your favorite video in various format DVD, VCD, SVCD, XVID, PAL, NTSC, etc.. then check each file with both GSpot and VideoInspector, you won't believe it. The language setting has pretty flags :-)
I only use this to give to those who has avi's but havent a clue about codecs or where to download the codecs from. It does the job for avi codec finding but i dont use this for anything else. Tends to come up blank for some non avi media.
Simple interface, where your eyes catch the information easier than with GSpot or AviCodec. Also has additional features (codec downloading...).
But, as for version 0.9.3.43, it gives me wrong results in bitrates at times. And doesn't work in a "Send to..." way.
Posted June 07, 2004 by CoralMan.
Tool version 0.9.3.43
using OS Win98
Ease of use 8
Value for money 10
Overall score 8
1 tool hits, Showing
NEW SOFTWARE= New tool since your last visit
NEW VERSION= New version since your last visit
NEW COMMENT= New comment since your last visit
Type and download NO MORE UPDATES? = The software hasn't been updated in over 2 years. NO LONGER DEVELOPED = The software hasn't been updated in over 3 years.
RECENTLY UPDATED = The software has been updated the last 31 days. Freeware = Free software. Free software = Free software and also open source code. Freeware/Adware = Free software but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Free software/Adware = Free software and open source code but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Trialware = Also called shareware or demo. Trial version available for download and testing with usually a time limit or limited functions. Payware = No demo or trial available. Portable version = A portable/standalone version is available. No installation is required.
v1.0.1 = Latest version available.
Download beta = It could be a BETA, RC(Release Candidate) and even a ALPHA version of the software.
Download (direct link) = A direct link to the software download.
Download (developer's site) = A link to the software developer site.
Download (mirror link) = A mirror link to the software download. It may not contain the latest versions.
Download old versions = Free downloads of previous versions of the program.
Download 64-bit version = If you have a 64bit operating system you can download this version.
Download portable version = Portable/Standalone version meaning that no installation is required, just extract the files to a folder and run directly.
= Windows version available.
= Mac OS version available.
= Linux version available.
Our hosted tools are virus and malware scanned with several antivirus programs using www.virustotal.com.