What are Blu-ray and DVD region codes, country codes, multi-region or zone locks? Read DVD Player region codes and Blu-ray region codes.
2 user region code comments
|January 07, 2010||Post region code/hack comment|
|Region code hack posted by davsor, January 04 2010:|
Hi, I have searched for a long time for a multi-region hack for the Sony RDR-HXD890 without success until today when, purely by accident, I came across this listing, tried it, and it worked! So for anybody else out there who is looking for a multi region hack for this DVD recorder, here are the full instructions -
(1) You need a "One For All" (OFA) remote control with a MAGIC key. It would appear from many previous threads about other Sony machines that all of the OFA remotes work for this hack - I used a URC7740.
(2) This is an optional step, but will enable you to check that your Sony has indeed changed after the hack. Turn on the Sony, go to System Menu, Initial Setup, Audio Out, Dolby Digital Output. Press the "Angle" key on the remote to bring up some hidden information about your firmware. The region should be displayed as "2". Once the hack has been applied, repeating this step should display the region as "14" i.e. multiregion. Leave the System Menu.
(3) Press DVD on the OFA remote. The next few steps will assign special codes to buttons 1,2,3,4,5:
00189 for button 1
00255 for button 2
00095 for button 3
00221 for button 4
00079 for button 5
(a) Hold down MAGIC until the DVD button blinks twice.
(b) Press 994. The DVD button will blink twice again.
(c) Press MAGIC.
(d) Type 00189 then 1. This assigns code 189 to button 1 on the remote, and the DVD button will blink twice again.
Repeat (a) to (d) four more times, changing the numbers in (d) as appropriate, in order to assign the remaining four codes to buttons 2,3,4,5.
(4) You now need to program the remote to "see" your Sony. Hold MAGIC until the DVD button blinks twice. Type 1070, a device code for the Sony DVD players/recorders. (DVD button blinks twice.) As long as your Sony is in "Command Mode 3 (Default)", the OFA should now be able to control various functions on the Sony.
(5) Make sure the Sony is fully on. At this stage I was in HDD mode, and did not have a disk in the drive (I'm not sure if this is crucial or not). If you want to, you can press 6 on the OFA remote to test if it is indeed controlling the Sony - this should change the channel to 6 (ITV2). Don't use 1,2,3,4 or 5 as a test though, as you've reprogrammed those buttons now!
(6) Press 1,2,3,4,5 on the OFA remote. The LED display on the Sony should say "Timer OK", and after a second or two it should automatically go into standby. That's it!
(7) Optional - if you want to reset the OFA remote so that buttons 1,2,3,4,5 work in the normal way, then hold MAGIC until the DVD blinks twice. Type 980, and the DVD button will blink 4 times, indicating the OFA remote has done a factory reset.
Next time you turn on the Sony, it should be multi-region... To be sure the hack has worked, simply redo step (2) and check that the region is indeed now listed as 14.
Note: previous posts have used device code 0533 instead of 1070 in step (4). However, this means a little faffing about with changing the "Command Mode" to 1 on the Sony. Also, 1070 gives more functionality to the OFA with my Sony 890. I find that the "Ch+" and "Ch-" buttons don't work properly when using device code 0533.
Hope this helps any other RDR-HXD890 owners.
|Region code posted by tpol, January 07 2010:|
The Hack doesn't work for me. I just wanted to know which
One4All URC7740 you have; because the one I have has only one
light, between the 'Magic' Key and the 'Power' Key; there is
no light for the 'DVD' key.
I have tried the hack, but it doesn't recognise code 1070 to
control the recorder. In fact none of the codes work, NOT 0533
or 0573 or 1903 or 1904; NOTHING, NADA.
I also cannot get it to reset the remote using 980, it only
flashes TWICE not FOUR times.
I have set the recorder to COMMAND MODE 1, 2 and 3 and tried
all the codes without any luck.
|1 DVD Hack hits, Showing 1 to 1 DVD Hacks|
= New region code/hack comments since your last visit.