What are Blu-ray and DVD region codes, country codes, multi-region or zone locks? Read DVD Player region codes and Blu-ray region codes.
3 user region code comments
|July 17, 2010||Post region code/hack comment|
|Region code hack posted by paradimn, June 25 2010:|
To change the DVD from region 4 (Pacific/Australia) to region 9 (region free) follow these steps using the remote control. (Adapted from http://tinyurl.com/2acybpj for Australian conditions).
1. Ensure that there is no disk in the tray.
2. Switch the player off and then back on. This is necessary to clean-boot the firmware.
3. Wait until the main menu page appears and the player stops doing anything.
4. Press the eject button to open the tray. (The button is between the "Power" and "TV Power" buttons at the top of the controller.)
5. Press the eject button to close the tray.
6. Wait while the player searches for a disk.
7. As soon as the "No Disk" message appears at the top left corner do the following.
8. Press the REPEAT button – just above the TV channel selector at the bottom right of the controller.
9. Enter 7 6 8 8 4 on the number pad.
10. The region code "4" should appear at the top left corner of the screen.
11. Enter a "9" to make the player region free. (Enter a region code if you want to lock the player to another region for some obscure or perverse reason.)
12. Power down and power up again.
13. Play a foreign DVD to verify the change.
Now the tricky bits. This process is timing dependent.
Firstly, you must start entering the code just after the "No Disk" message is shown and before the message disappears. If you jump the gun or miss the boat (isn't English great!) it won't work.
Secondly, the REPEAT key is part of the code. All six keys must be entered smoothly as "REPEAT 7 6 8 8 4". The entry gets timed out so you can't stop in the middle and restart. Don't bash away like crazy, just do it smoothly and briskly.
If you don't see the "4" the first time, don't worry. Just repeat the process. It took me about a dozen tries before I got it to work.
I can't guarantee that this player does not have a region change counter so I would be a bit careful about changing regions back and forth. I also can't guarantee that this will work with all released firmware. Samsung seems to take this crazy region bastardry very seriously for some reason.
For people from other parts of the world, all region codes are as follows
1 – 2 9 3 3 4
2 – 5 7 5 3 8
3 – 5 6 7 3 2
4 – 7 6 8 8 4
5 – 5 3 8 1 4
6 – 2 4 4 6 2
I can confirm that the hack above originally posted by wildbull1984 on 9 May 2010 works on the HT-C5550 model sold in Australia in 2010, with firmware as of 15 June.
It needs to be reiterated that the process will only work if done correctly.
Follow the process exactly. Important points:
• Start entering the code as soon as the NO DISK graphic is displayed. You will need to anticipate its appearance, don’t be hesitant.
• Methodically and rhythmically PRESS each key in a smooth sequence. Don’t just tap and move on. Use deliberate purposeful motions.
It took me about 30 attempts over 2 days. Don’t give up. We should all be able to play our legally purchased disks on our legally purchased systems.
Thanks to those of you who did the research to get this hack sorted.
|Region code hack posted by frankgannon, July 11 2010:|
Hi Just got the htc 5500 and tried the hack, it worked quickly enough but will not
play any dvd's at all. it will play au BD,
Tried taken it back to r4 but with no luck. tried upgrading the firmware from
samsung webpage but it states its not compatible with this model..
I did notice that there was one instruction missing from this hack I have since
seen on other pages, and that is open and close the tray after changing the
region and before powering down. don't know if this makes a difference.
I'm now at a loss as to what I should do next.
|Region code hack posted by paradimn, July 17 2010:|
Hi frankgannon. I suggest you reset the player by turing it off and pressing the stop button for 5 seconds. Goodluck.
|1 DVD Hack hits, Showing 1 to 1 DVD Hacks|
= New region code/hack comments since your last visit.