Lightworks, an Academy and Emmy award winning professional-grade editor with over 20 years of history in the film and broadcast industry. Having cut hundreds of films such as Pulp Fiction, The Departed, Centurion and Shutter Island, it includes a full feature set of editorial tools -- from advanced trimming and media management, to stereoscopic support and realtime effects including multiple secondary colour correctors. Lightworks has an advanced effects pipeline, utilizing the power of your GPU. And with support for up to 2K workflows with realtime effects, it is the most advanced editing application available. Lightworks Pro costs $60/year, more features, see version comparison.
• Added Export to Vimeo at up to 1080p in the Free version.
• Added ability to right click a Group within the Content Manager and Copy/Move it to
• Added backwards compatibility for future versions of Lightworks.
• Added missing text from the Wordings file (Localization).
• Improved handling of incompatible projects with future versions of Lightworks.
• Improved handling of edit notifications to make them safer.
• Added new keyboard .prefs file compatible with Contour Shuttle Pro drivers.
• Added additional license panel on sign up that refers to existing tutorial material.
Fixes and Features in Version 12.6
• Fixed "Find bins" function not working if the bin is contained within a Group.
• Fixed timeline marker jumping to the start of the sequence when un-compacting a
• Fixed missing [F1] Import key assignment entry in the key assignment panel.
• Fixed only one clip being registered in direct to Bin Imports for Copy Local and
• Fixed crash removing the last entry in the Key Assignments panel.
• Fixed XML exports not containing the transition type information.
• Fixed incorrect import of FCP7 XML containing subclips.
• Fixed potential crash importing multiple files at once.
• Fixed crash importing multiple frame rate files into an Auto frame rate project using
Copy local or Transcode.
• Fixed export presets being saved when closing the Preset panel and not actually
• Fixed sorting order on the Bin list that appears when copying the contents of one bin
• Fixed export presets being created with the same name as an existing preset.
• Fixed incorrect audio playback on RED R3D files.
• Fixed Prints not playing video content after being inserted into an edit.
• Fixed FX settings panel not seeing the correct tracks on room entry.
• Fixed potential crash dragging a tile to an empty viewer.
• Fixed potential crash tracing an edit that contains subclips (Export of: AAF, OMF, EDL,
• Fixed Playhead jumping off screen when rejoining after a trim with an FX track
• Fixed incorrect frame rate being identified on .MOV sample files.
• Fixed bin names not being overwritten correctly when copying groups from one
project to another.
• Fixed ability to copy a group containing an empty bin to another project.
• Fixed incorrect display of Image Key effect when set to interlaced output.
• Fixed incorrect clip being opened when dragging and dropping from a bin set to List
• Fixed potential crash changing the varispeed setting on an edit that is not in Record
• Fixed incorrect "Audio rate" when importing multiple files into an "Auto" frame rate
• Fixed keyboard buffering overflow with nudging shortcuts.
• Fixed unfolded FX tracks on edits preventing multicam AutoSync working.
• Show progressive SD formats using allow_progressive_sd_export 1 config.dat
• Renamed YouTube export options on the Export panel.
Lightworks v12.6 Release Notes
• Fixed Console Play command keyboard shortcut returning the wrong play speed.
• Fixed viewer transport control buttons not working correctly.
• Fixed track shift on XML sequence imports from FCP7 containing FX.
• Fixed audio sync issues with 25 / 30 fps exports from a 24 fps project.
• Fixed potential crash changing tile sizes on compacted Multicam Bins.
• Fixed potential crash repeatedly right clicking the project browser.
Windows Fixes and Features
• Added support for Blackmagic Fusion 8.
• Fixed Matrox driver copy error on systems with UAC enabled (error message when
• Fixed issues with typing certain characters into input boxes.
• Fixed incorrect playback on 3D LUTs when set to 10-bit precision on the project card.
• Fixed appearance of Korean text within the application.
Linux Fixes and Features
• Added full compatibility support for Ubuntu 15.10.
• Fixed potential crash browsing to a location containing a corrupt JPEG file.
• Fixed segmentation Fault with OpenSSL 1.0.2 (caused a crash on sign in to the
• Fixed PNG image sequence exports being incorrect from an edit containing an image
Mac OS Fixes and Features
• Added full compatibility support for Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).
• Added improved error logging to catch potential crash.
• Fixed startup failure due to AJA hardware being present.
• Fixed Tiles/Viewers getting stuck to the mouse cursor when pressing Stop during
• Fixed corrupt JPEG files causing crashes opening the import panel.
• Fixed panels appearing behind the video image within a viewer.
• Fixed panels appearing behind the video image after frame stepping using the
• Fixed Matrix wipe effect not working.
* Resolution, format and codec independent timeline
* Edit at 23.976, true 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, or 60 fps
* Advanced Multicam editing with unlimited sources
* Source/Record three-point editing
* Insert and Overwrite editing
* Replace, ﬁt to ﬁll, backfill
* Drag-and-drop replace editing
* Extend and Split edits
* A/V Sync indicators on timeline
* Single-click re-sync of whole timeline
* Multi-colored markers for edits and clips
* Matchframe for clips and subclips
* Slip and Slide
* Remove and Delete
* Asymmetric, multitrack trimming
* Dynamic trimming during playback
* JKL trimming
* Trim window
* Timeline trimming
* Keyboard and numeric moving and trimming
* Close Gap
* Third Party Plugin Support
* Alpha Channel Matte Transitions
* Global Transitions adds effects between In and Out points
* Real-time effects in SD, HD and 2K
* Speed Tool for varispeed changes
* Keyframe graphs
* Transitions, effects, and filters included
* Unlimited effects user templates
* Copy and paste effect attributes to multiple clips
* Effects layers with node-based compositing tool
* Bezier curves with movable motion paths
* Numeric control and keyframe capabilities
* Real-time, hardware accurate video vectorscopes and waveform monitors
* Multitrack Audio Mixer with full bus routing and multiple mixes
* Keyboard and user interface customization tool with templates for Avid and FCP keyboard mappings
* On-screen console controls
* Voice Over tool for adding narration directly to timeline
* Multi-split screen Viewer for original shot comparison
* Shot Sync - sync two sources for playback comparison
* Customisable BITC timecode and film footage overlays in Viewer
* Real time Primary color correctors
* Real time Secondary color correctors
* Image control filters
* Subframe audio keyframing
* Real-time audio adjustments during playback
* OMF audio export with pan and volume levels
* Real-time, software-based audio normalization
* Onscreen multitrack mixing console
* External Mackie control surface support
* Real time fader automation
* Real-time audio filters and effects
* Mixed bit-rates and samples on timeline
* Audio level meters per track
* Pan controls
* Mute and solo controls
* Pre and Post Audio waveform display with realtime update
* Full-screen, real-time SD, HD, and 2K preview on single or secondary display
* Multiple timelines open simultaneously
* Unlimited undo levels
* Unlimited video and FX tracks
* User preferences that can be moved from system to system
* Customizable keyboard and user interface buttons
* Customizable real-time effects settings
* Customizable render settings
* Customizable layouts
* Customizable track layouts
* Full Unicode support
* Import RED media and DPX image sequences directly
* Include timecode and keycode in the same list
* Support for 35mm 3-perf, 35mm 4-perf, and 16mm-20 and mixed film formats
* View feet and frames in edit
* View keycode and ink number overlays on video
* 24-fps EDL import and export
* 24-fps EDL conversion to and from 29.97 fps
* Import ALE, FLX, and CSV files
* Track key numbers, ink numbers, video and audio timecode
* Output Cut list, Change list, Optical list, Pull list, Dupe list, Audio EDL
* Media management tools for moving, copying, and consolidating media at edit or project level
* Powerful search capabilities
* Rename Clips to match media and vice versa
* Maintain master clips across multiple projects
* Clip colors in edit (match by source, reel or timecode)
* Custom comment fields
* Automatic reconnect to high-resolution media
* EDL and AAF import and export for metadata exchange
* Instant Save – no need to save project
* Batch export
3rd Party Support
* Inscriber Titlemotion
* After Effects
* Premiere Plugins
* Digital Fusion
* MXF Op1a, MXF OpAtom, Quicktime and AVI
* DV25, DVCPRO 25, DVCPRO 50, and DVCPRO HD
* MPEG-2 I-Frame SD and HD
* Uncompressed SD and HD at 8 bit and 10 bit
* Avid DNxHD*
* Apple ProRes*
* RED R3D*
* DPX 10 bit* and 16 bit*
* Sony IMX
* Sony XDCAM HD*
* Sony XDCAM EX*
* Sony XDCAM HD422*
* Panasonic P2
* Image Import and Export as stills or sequences (DPX, BMP, TARGA, JPEG, GIF, PSD, TIFF, DPX, JPEG2000, PICT, QT Image, SGI, and PNG)
* Export presets for Apple TV, iPhone, iPod
* Broadcast Wave Format with drop and non-drop frame timecode options
* Import and Export OMF I and OMF II
* Import and Export AAF
* MDA support for Edit While Capture with Geevs servers
* Telecine 29.97i to 24p pulldown removal
* 30fps and 25fps import to 24fps project
* Frame-accurate capture tool with support for batch, clip, and on-the-fly capturing
* Frame-accurate insert and assemble edit-to-tape
* Serial device control (RS-422, RS-232)
* FireWire device control
Have to agree with Andrew Post 2, . pretty crap and constantly froze computer.
Tools very complicated and fiddly.
Maybe for expert it might be ok but for normal users with average editing knowledge forget it
I installed LightWorks 11.5.1 in Linux Mint 16 x64. It runs great and is a very feature rich NLE. Using the free version, you can only export to YouTube ready 720p h.264/aac mp4. Very good editor overall for free and works great in Linux....
Posted April 06, 2014 by racer-x.
Tool version 11.5.1
using OS Linux
Ease of use 9
Value for money 10
Overall score 9
1 tool hits, Showing
NEW SOFTWARE= New tool since your last visit
NEW VERSION= New version since your last visit
NEW COMMENT= New comment since your last visit
Type and download NO MORE UPDATES? = The software hasn't been updated in over 2 years. NO LONGER DEVELOPED = The software hasn't been updated in over 3 years.
RECENTLY UPDATED = The software has been updated the last 31 days. Freeware = Free software. Free software = Free software and also open source code. Freeware/Ads = Free software but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Free software/Ads = Free software and open source code but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Trialware = Also called shareware or demo. Trial version available for download and testing with usually a time limit or limited functions. Payware = No demo or trial available. Portable version = A portable/standalone version is available. No installation is required.
v1.0.1 = Latest version available.
Download beta = It could be a BETA, RC(Release Candidate) and even a ALPHA version of the software.
Download (direct link) = A direct link to the software download.
Download (developer's site) = A link to the software developer site.
Download (mirror link) = A mirror link to the software download. It may not contain the latest versions.
Download old versions = Free downloads of previous versions of the program.
Download 64-bit version = If you have a 64bit operating system you can download this version.
Download portable version = Portable/Standalone version meaning that no installation is required, just extract the files to a folder and run directly.
= Windows version available.
= Mac OS version available.
= Linux version available.
Our hosted tools are virus and malware scanned with several antivirus programs using www.virustotal.com.