Lightworks, an Academy and Emmy award winning professional-grade editor with over 20 years of history in the film and broadcast industry. Having cut hundreds of films such as Pulp Fiction, The Departed, Centurion and Shutter Island, it includes a full feature set of editorial tools -- from advanced trimming and media management, to stereoscopic support and realtime effects including multiple secondary colour correctors. Lightworks has an advanced effects pipeline, utilizing the power of your GPU. And with support for up to 2K workflows with realtime effects, it is the most advanced editing application available. Lightworks Pro costs $60/year, more features, see version comparison.
Version 12.0.2 Release on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X is now available to download!
This latest version of Lightworks is purely a maintenance release for version 12. The 12.0.2 release includes support for Blackmagic Fusion 7.5 and addresses two very long standing issues of sending audio levels in an AAF to a Protools session, along with support for Boris FX plugins within the 64bit Windows version. The full list of fixes and features can be found in the Release Notes document page.
Accompanying the new version are several new tutorial videos: Working with the Video Routing panel, Working with the Audio Mixer Panel and Working with Effect keyframes
Users running 12.0.2.x Beta builds will need to update to this release build. It is strongly recommended that users backup their project folder before installing any new build of Lightworks.
To celebrate this latest release we are offering the Lightworks Pro Yearly license with an extra 6 months free until the 2nd January 2015. www.lwks.com/shop
Version 12 of Lightworks introduces some incredible new features to the application. Primarily the Content Manager which is a very useful way of managing all your media, edits and bins in a sensible way so that you can always find your media or your bins easily.
To help bring users up to speed with the latest changes in version 12 we have produced several tutorial videos including a Quickstart Video which we recommend users watch to get up to speed with version 12 of Lightworks.
Some of the exciting new features in version 12 can be seen below:
Added new Content Manager structure
Bins and Groups (previously racks) are now all visible within the content manager
Multicam Bins (previously Sync groups) are now all visible within the content manager
The Search function has been incorporated into the content manager (click the magnifying glass)
Added Clips, Subclips, Prints, Syncs, Edits, Searches, Everything and Recent filters to the content manager
Added ability to create and edit Filters
Added ability to create Filters based on search criteria and manage them
Added the ability to drag/drop files from the OS directly into an open bin (cannot import to Filters)
Added the ability to import directly into an existing bin (cannot import to Filters)
And much more!
Optimised the drawing pipeline. Any/All UI elements are now drawn more efficiently (less laggy)
Rewritten the Lightworks Play engine to remove the need for the Display Optimisation Field/Frame button
Added improvements to the export panel to make it easier to select a format for export
Added entirely new Blur effect to the Effects panel
Added powerful new Colour Correction
Added powerful new Selective Colour Correction
Added support for Blackmagic Fusion 7.5
Added import of FCP7 XMLs
Improved responsiveness for image display when moving the timeline marker
The full list of fixes and other improvements in version 12 can be found in the Release Notes document
* Resolution, format and codec independent timeline
* Edit at 23.976, true 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, or 60 fps
* Advanced Multicam editing with unlimited sources
* Source/Record three-point editing
* Insert and Overwrite editing
* Replace, ﬁt to ﬁll, backfill
* Drag-and-drop replace editing
* Extend and Split edits
* A/V Sync indicators on timeline
* Single-click re-sync of whole timeline
* Multi-colored markers for edits and clips
* Matchframe for clips and subclips
* Slip and Slide
* Remove and Delete
* Asymmetric, multitrack trimming
* Dynamic trimming during playback
* JKL trimming
* Trim window
* Timeline trimming
* Keyboard and numeric moving and trimming
* Close Gap
* Third Party Plugin Support
* Alpha Channel Matte Transitions
* Global Transitions adds effects between In and Out points
* Real-time effects in SD, HD and 2K
* Speed Tool for varispeed changes
* Keyframe graphs
* Transitions, effects, and filters included
* Unlimited effects user templates
* Copy and paste effect attributes to multiple clips
* Effects layers with node-based compositing tool
* Bezier curves with movable motion paths
* Numeric control and keyframe capabilities
* Real-time, hardware accurate video vectorscopes and waveform monitors
* Multitrack Audio Mixer with full bus routing and multiple mixes
* Keyboard and user interface customization tool with templates for Avid and FCP keyboard mappings
* On-screen console controls
* Voice Over tool for adding narration directly to timeline
* Multi-split screen Viewer for original shot comparison
* Shot Sync - sync two sources for playback comparison
* Customisable BITC timecode and film footage overlays in Viewer
* Real time Primary color correctors
* Real time Secondary color correctors
* Image control filters
* Subframe audio keyframing
* Real-time audio adjustments during playback
* OMF audio export with pan and volume levels
* Real-time, software-based audio normalization
* Onscreen multitrack mixing console
* External Mackie control surface support
* Real time fader automation
* Real-time audio filters and effects
* Mixed bit-rates and samples on timeline
* Audio level meters per track
* Pan controls
* Mute and solo controls
* Pre and Post Audio waveform display with realtime update
* Full-screen, real-time SD, HD, and 2K preview on single or secondary display
* Multiple timelines open simultaneously
* Unlimited undo levels
* Unlimited video and FX tracks
* User preferences that can be moved from system to system
* Customizable keyboard and user interface buttons
* Customizable real-time effects settings
* Customizable render settings
* Customizable layouts
* Customizable track layouts
* Full Unicode support
* Import RED media and DPX image sequences directly
* Include timecode and keycode in the same list
* Support for 35mm 3-perf, 35mm 4-perf, and 16mm-20 and mixed film formats
* View feet and frames in edit
* View keycode and ink number overlays on video
* 24-fps EDL import and export
* 24-fps EDL conversion to and from 29.97 fps
* Import ALE, FLX, and CSV files
* Track key numbers, ink numbers, video and audio timecode
* Output Cut list, Change list, Optical list, Pull list, Dupe list, Audio EDL
* Media management tools for moving, copying, and consolidating media at edit or project level
* Powerful search capabilities
* Rename Clips to match media and vice versa
* Maintain master clips across multiple projects
* Clip colors in edit (match by source, reel or timecode)
* Custom comment fields
* Automatic reconnect to high-resolution media
* EDL and AAF import and export for metadata exchange
* Instant Save – no need to save project
* Batch export
3rd Party Support
* Inscriber Titlemotion
* After Effects
* Premiere Plugins
* Digital Fusion
* MXF Op1a, MXF OpAtom, Quicktime and AVI
* DV25, DVCPRO 25, DVCPRO 50, and DVCPRO HD
* MPEG-2 I-Frame SD and HD
* Uncompressed SD and HD at 8 bit and 10 bit
* Avid DNxHD*
* Apple ProRes*
* RED R3D*
* DPX 10 bit* and 16 bit*
* Sony IMX
* Sony XDCAM HD*
* Sony XDCAM EX*
* Sony XDCAM HD422*
* Panasonic P2
* Image Import and Export as stills or sequences (DPX, BMP, TARGA, JPEG, GIF, PSD, TIFF, DPX, JPEG2000, PICT, QT Image, SGI, and PNG)
* Export presets for Apple TV, iPhone, iPod
* Broadcast Wave Format with drop and non-drop frame timecode options
* Import and Export OMF I and OMF II
* Import and Export AAF
* MDA support for Edit While Capture with Geevs servers
* Telecine 29.97i to 24p pulldown removal
* 30fps and 25fps import to 24fps project
* Frame-accurate capture tool with support for batch, clip, and on-the-fly capturing
* Frame-accurate insert and assemble edit-to-tape
* Serial device control (RS-422, RS-232)
* FireWire device control
* available separately at extra cost
Guides and How to's:
File import and proxy editing in Lightworks (free) with EyeFrame Converter - Read Fraps screencast transcoded to Lightworks with EyeFrame Converter - Read
I installed LightWorks 11.5.1 in Linux Mint 16 x64. It runs great and is a very feature rich NLE. Using the free version, you can only export to YouTube ready 720p h.264/aac mp4. Very good editor overall for free and works great in Linux....
Posted April 06, 2014 by racer-x.
Tool version 11.5.1
using OS Linux
Ease of use 9
Value for money 10
Overall score 9
1 tool hits, Showing
NEW SOFTWARE= New tool since your last visit
NEW VERSION= New version since your last visit
NEW COMMENT= New comment since your last visit
Type and download NO MORE UPDATES? = The software hasn't been updated in over 2 years. NO LONGER DEVELOPED = The software hasn't been updated in over 3 years.
RECENTLY UPDATED = The software has been updated the last 31 days. Freeware = Free software. Free software = Free software and also open source code. Freeware/Bundleware = Free software but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Free software/Bundleware = Free software and open source code but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Trialware = Also called shareware or demo. Trial version available for download and testing with usually a time limit or limited functions. Payware = No demo or trial available. Portable version = A portable/standalone version is available. No installation is required.
v1.0.1 = Latest version available.
Download beta = It could be a BETA, RC(Release Candidate) and even a ALPHA version of the software.
Download (direct link) = A direct link to the software download.
Download (developer's site) = A link to the software developer site.
Download (mirror link) = A mirror link to the software download. It may not contain the latest versions.
Download old versions = Free downloads of previous versions of the program.
Download 64-bit version = If you have a 64bit operating system you can download this version.
Download portable version = Portable/Standalone version meaning that no installation is required, just extract the files to a folder and run directly.
= Windows version available.
= Mac OS version available.
= Linux version available.
Our hosted tools are virus and malware scanned with several antivirus programs using www.virustotal.com.