VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols. VLC can also convert, capture/record and be used as a server to stream video.
OS:Windows MacOS Linux
Version:2.2.4 / 3.0.0-git Nightly
Released:Nov 21, 2016
2.2.4 / 3.0.0-git Nightly (November 21, 2016)
Visit developer's site
Download VLC media player 2.2.4 [29.1MB] [Win]
Download VLC media player 2.2.4 64-bit [30.2MB] [Win64]
Download VLC media player 2.2.4 portable [49.1MB] [Win]
Download VLC media player 2.2.4 portable 64-bit [51.0MB] [Win64]
Download VLC media player 3.0.0-git Nightly [31.9MB] [Win]
Download VLC media player Mac version [35.6MB] [Mac]
Download VLC media player Linux version [Linux]
Changes between 2.2.x and 3.0.0-git Nightly ( Only for testing!!! 360-degree Video Support!!! ):
View full changelog
* The Windows XP/2003/2003R2 support for VLC is now on a best-efforts basis:
it should work, but not without limitations.
libVLC support for Windows XP is deprecated.
You _really_ should upgrade.
* Windows Vista (all versions) without Platform Upgrade is not supported.
* Linux support requires now a kernel newer than 2.6.26
* Mac OS X 10.6 support is now removed. You need OS X 10.7 to run VLC.
* Support network browsing for distant file system (SMB, FTP, SFTP, ...)
and rewrite the parsing of those files
* Add a keystore API: fetch and store password for common protocols (HTTP,
SMB, SFTP, FTP, RTSP ...)
* Autodetect external audio tracks (ac3, m4a, aac, dts...), similar to subs
* Support HDMI passthrough for Audio HD codecs, like E-AC3, TrueHD
* Support for 12bits codec and extended colorspaces (HDR)
* Support output renderers, like ChromeCast
* VLC now assumes vlcrc config file is in UTF-8
* Support portable version of Windows build
* Support wayland surface type
* Allow to start the video paused on the first frame
* Refactor preparsing input
* New NFS access module using libnfs
* New SMB access module using libdsm
* Rewrite MPEG-DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) support, including
MPEG2TS and ISOFF profiles
* Support HDS (Http Dynamic Streaming) from Adobe (f4m, f4v, etc.)
* Large rework of the Smooth Streaming module
* Replaced httplive stream filter with new HLS demuxer, replaced smooth
stream filter with new Smooth demuxer, both using unified adaptive module
* Support HLSv4-7, including TS and raw muxing and ID3 tags
* Screen capture plugin for Wayland display
* Support decompression and extraction through libarchive (tar, zip, rar...)
* Improvements of cookie handling (share cookies between playlist items,
domain / path matching, Secure cookies)
* Support DVB-T2 on Windows BDA
* Support depayloading Opus from RTP
* Support sftp username and passwords options in URL, and key authentication
* New UPnP access module, to list directories without infinite recursions
* New WASAPI audio capture module on Windows
* SMB/FTP/SFTP accesses can list directories
* New "concat" access module for concatenating byte streams
* New HTTP/TLS access module for HTTP 2.0 support
* Named pipes and device nodes are no longer included in directory listings
by default. Use --list-special-files to include them back.
* Support for timeout in UDP input --udp-timeout=<seconds>
* New SAT>IP access module, to receive DVB-S via IP networks
* Improvements on DVB scanning
* BluRay module can open ISO over network and has full BD-J support
* OMX GPU-zerocopy support for decoding and display on Android using OpenMax IL
* Support 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 chroma samplings with VDPAU hw acceleration
* Support for ARIB STD-B24 subtitles
* Support for experimental Daala video
* Support for experimental AV1 video
* Important improvements for the MMAL decoder and output for rPI and rPI2
* Support HEVC hardware decoding on Windows, using DxVA2 and D3D11
* Support hardware decoding using Direct3D11, including GPU-zerocopy mode
* DxVA2 GPU-zerocopy for hardware decoding and displaying on Windows
* Support HEVC hardware decoding using OMX and MediaCodec (Android)
* Use MediaCodec via NDK native API after Android Lollipop
* Support MPEG-2, VC1/WMV3 on Android using MediaCodec
* Support VP9 and WMV3 decoding using OMX and performance improvements
* New MPEG-1 & 2 audio layer I, II, III + MPEG 2.5 decoder based on libmpg123
* New BPG decoder based on libbpg
* Fixed uncompressed DVD-Audio (AOB) LPCM decoding
* Rewrite WPL playlists and add ZPL playlists support (Zune)
* Support TDSC, Canopus HQX codecs
* TTML subtitles support, including EBU-TT-D variant
* Support 9-bit and 10-bit GBR planar formats
* New hardware accelerated decoder for OS X and and iOS based on Video Toolbox
supporting H.263, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, MPEG-4 Part 2, and DV depending on device
and OS version
* Support for the OggSpots video codec
* JPEG images correctly oriented using embedded orientation tag, if present
* Support VPX high bit depth support
* Extend MicroDVD support with color, fontname, size, position extensions
* Support HD-DVD .evo (H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, PCM, AC-3, E-AC3, MLP, DTS)
* Support Opus in MPEG Transport Stream
* Support Daala in Ogg
* Important rework of the MP4 demuxer, including:
* Support for fragmented MP4
* Support EIA-608 subtitles in MP4/mov
* Support WMV and WMAV in MP4/mov, aka Flip4Mac files
* Support bitmap audio channel reordering in MP4/mov
* Support for RTP Reception Hint Track with H.264, GSM and Speex payloads
* Support for XiphQt(MP4) vorbis and Flac
* Support for VP8/VP9/VP10 in MP4
* Support GoPro HiLight chapters
* Important rework of the TS demuxer, including:
* Fixed program selection with recorded TS (TopField, DreamBox and others)
* Fixed TS playback with PAT/PMT less recordings
* Basic support for MPEG4-SL in TS and T-DMB
* Support for lame's replaygain extension in mpeg files
* Fixes for DTS detection in WAV and MKV files
* Support for Creative ADPCM/alaw/ulaw/S16L in VOC files
* Support for Creative ADPCM in AVI
* Support WMV extended content metadata
* Directory Demux can now sort items, ignore extensions and hidden files
* Support SBV subtitles
* Support AlbumArtist and DiscNumber metadata
* Support SCTE-18 / EAS inside TS
* Support raw h265/hevc files
* Support multi-channel WAV without channel-maps
* Rewrite MKV seeking
* Fix Quicktime Mp4 inside MKV and unpacketized VC1
* Added ADF stream filter
* Added ARIB STD-B25 TS streams decoder
* Added stream prebuffering plugin
* Removed HTTP Live streaming stream filter
* Added zlib (a.k.a. deflate) decompression filter
* Added a demuxer filter chain to filter or intercept control commands and demuxing
* Complete rewrite of the AudioTrack Android module, it is now the default
module for Android. It now supports HDMI/SPDIF passthrough for AC3/DTS/EAC3,
5.1/7.1 channels and float output, depending on the Android version.
* Added Tizen audio module
* HDMI/SPDIF pass-through support for WASAPI (AC3/DTS/EAC3/TRUEHD)
* Support EAC3 and TRUEHD pass-through for PulseAudio
* Add SoX Resampler library audio filter module (converter and resampler)
* a52tospdif and dtstospdif audio converters are merged into tospdif,
this new converter can convert AC3, DTS, EAC3 and TRUEHD to a IEC61937 frame
* Linux/BSD default video output is now OpenGL, instead of Xvideo
* Wayland shell surface window provider
* Wayland shared memory video output
* Large rework of the Android video outputs: there is now Surface (2.1, 2.2)
NativeWindow (2.3+, supports hw rotation, subpicture blending, opaque)
* Support rotation in Android NativeWindow output and hardware decoders
* Renamed the Direct3D output module to Direct3D9
* Added Direct3D11 video mode supporting both Windows desktop and WinRT modes,
supporting subpicture blending and hardware acceleration
* EFL Evas video output with Tizen TBM Surface support
* New OpenGL provider for Windows
* CTL support through Harfbuzz in the Freetype module
* Hardware deinterlacing on the rPI, using MMAL
* New video filter to convert between fps rates
* Added 9-bit and 10-bit support to image adjust filter
* New edge detection filter uses the Sobel operator to detect edges
* Chromecast output module
* RGB24 and YCbCr 4:2:0 RTP packetization
* Support for Daala video in 4:2:0 and 4:4:4
* VP8 and VP9 encoder using libvpx
* Added fragmented/streamable MP4 muxer
* Added support for muxing VC1 and WMAPro in MP4
* Opus in MPEG Transport Stream
* Daala in Ogg
* New NetBios service discovery using libdsm
* New mDNS services discovery using libmicrodns
* New mDNS services discovery using Bonjour (Mac OS X, tvOS, iOS)
* Rewrite of the UPnP service discovery
Mac OS X Interface
* Dropped support for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
* Add support for keyboard blacklight dimming during fullscreen video playback
* new AppleScript API giving access to audio desynchronization
* Support for building with disabled sparkle update mechanism
* New configure flag to disable automatic updates
* Expanded AppleScript API for menu detection and navigation
* New resizable fullscreen controller with improved design
* Add status bar icon which displays metadata and play controls
* Dropped support for iOS 6.x
* Batch convert support
* It is now possible to specify 'stop-time' in Convert/Save dialog
* Support key accelerators
* Add libvlc_media_new_callbacks for custom input byte streams
* Add libvlc_audio_output_device_enum to enumerate devices of current aout
* Split of libvlc_media_discoverer_new_from_name into libvlc_media_discoverer_new,
libvlc_media_discoverer_start and libvlc_media_discoverer_stop
This allows to attach media events between create and start
* Add libvlc_media_get_codec_description to get a human readable description of a codec
* Add libvlc_MediaListEndReached Event to get notified when a media list reached the end
* Add libvlc_media_list_player_get_media_player to get the media player instance of a list player
* Add libvlc_media_parse_with_options that uses a flag to specify parse options
* Add libvlc_audio_output_device_get to get the currently selected audio output device
identifier (if there is one available)
* Add libvlc_media_get_type to get the type of the media
* Add libvlc_media_player_get_full_title_descriptions to get full title info of the media
and +libvlc_title_descriptions_release to match it
Rewritten video output core and modules, allowing subpicture blending in GPU.
Shader support in the OpenGL output, for colorspace conversion, including 10bits.
New video outputs for Windows 7, Android, iOS and OS/2.
New debanding, grain, denoising and anti-flickering filters.
New deinterlacing filter, including an Inverse Telecine algorithm.
New resamplers for higher quality audio.
New dynamic range compressor and karaoke filters.
Simplification of the audio core for faster processing.
New audio outputs for iOS, Android and OS/2.
Multi-threaded decoding for H.264, MPEG-4/Xvid and WebM.
Support for 10bits codecs, WMV image and some other codecs.
Rewritten support for images, including jpeg, png, xcf, bmp...
Important changes in RealVideo and Real Format support.
CrystalHD cards and Android OpenMAX support for hardware decoding.
INPUT AND DEVICES
Experimental support for BluRay discs:
- Menus are deactivated in this release (will come soon).
- AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys are not shipped, for legal reasons.
Support for SDI capture cards and QTKit devices.
Support for new adaptive streaming protocols, like HLS and DASH.
FOR MAC USERS
Completely new, single window interface:
- Available in 2 colors: Lion grey and QTX black.
- Extensions support and better Lion integration.
Support for all QTKit devices through qtcapture and qtsound modules.
Continued support for X 10.5 and PPC users (1080p and ProRes on Dual-G5!).
FOR ANIME FANS
Vastly improved MKV demuxer.
Rewritten linked segments and ordered chapter files support.
Correct support for FLAC, RV and Hi10p in MKV.
Rewritten seeking support in cue files.
Various ASS subtitles improvements.
FOR PROFESSIONAL USERS
Support for ProRes 422 and 4444, AVC/Intra.
Support for Jpeg-2000 and DNxHD/VC-3 in 10bits.
Support for EBU subtitles (stl) and EIA-608.
SDI and HD-SDI card support for input on Linux.
New Dirac/VC-2 encoder, faster than the previous one.
libVLC, libVLCcore and libcompat have switched from GPL to LGPLv2.1+.
New libVLC examples are available: media player, photobooth and mediainfo clones.
New JSON requests on the web interface to control running VLC instances.
Implementation of the MPRIS2 interface to control media players.
VLC's web plugins have been rewritten for better integration and stability in all browsers.
Acronyms / Also Known As
VLC, videolan, VLC Blu-ray plugin
Notify me when software updated or report software
Email me when it has been updated
Report this tool (dead link/new version)
About thread - VLC Media Player 1.1.11 The Luggage slow open Nov 23, 2011
Hay, I'm running VLC media player 2.1.5 Rincewind on a Intel i5 Desktop with OS Win 7 (64bit) updated 2015may08
After many googles finally the SOLUTION - in Malwarebytes (pro) and possible also in other anti-malware progams
go to Settings - Malware exclusions - select C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe
(maybe you have to add also C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc-cache-gen.exe)
Only with VLC.exe added it opens on my 8 gB memory PC in 3 secs now.
Greets from "half down under water" Holland)
(Google tags - VLC media player opens slow starts slow slow loading running slow)
May 8, 2015 Version: 2.1.5
OS: Windows 7 64-bit Ease: 9/10
Versatile media player that can play about anything you throw at it.
It can crash on some occasion though with mkv files containing subtitles.
But its free. :)
Feb 27, 2015 Version: 2.1.5
OS: Windows 8 64-bit Ease: 10/10
While it has generally functioned well I have been having one very major issue with this version. Randomly the picture freezes and say 5 - 6 second segment of the audio stream goes into infinite loop. At this point I even have hard time in killing the application. The same video file plays flawlessly in version 2.0.7.
I wonder if it is just me - with sub-par original Intel hardware - or something is the matter with this version !
Jan 13, 2015 Version: 2.1.5
OS: Windows 7 64-bit Ease: 10/10
I tried both versions 2.1.5 and 2.2.0RC2 (x64) and Audio garbles. Video OK. Tried install 2.1.4 over this, no can do. So, I uninstalled via Microsoft Add/Remove and decided to go with 2.1.3 since I saw "roma_turok" comment below. BTW, when I try to play a Movie with VLC, it does not show the video clearly right off the back. After few seconds that movie is playing then picture becomes clear.
Nov 28, 2014 Version: 2.1.5 & 2.2.0
OS: Vista 64-bit Ease: 10/10
VLC Media Player 2.1.5 crashes while opening any video but it was same in 2.1.4 version also. But 2.1.3 version is working fine. Please fix this bug.
Sep 6, 2014 Version: 2.1.5
OS: WinXP Ease: 8/10
|1 tool hits, Showing
= New tool since your last visit
= New version since your last visit
= New comment since your last visit
= New version
Type and download
NO MORE UPDATES?
= The software hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
NO LONGER DEVELOPED
= The software hasn't been updated in over 3 years.
= The software has been updated the last 31 days.
= Free software.
= Free software and also open source code.
= Free software but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation.
= Free software and open source code but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation.
= Also called shareware or demo. Trial version available for download and testing with usually a time limit or limited functions.
= No demo or trial available.
= A portable/standalone version is available. No installation is required.
v1.0.1 = Latest version available.
Download beta = It could be a Beta, RC(Release Candidate) or an Alpha / Nightly / Unstable version of the software.
= A direct link to the software download.
= Windows download version. It works on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.
= Windows 64-bit download version. It works only on 64-bit Windows.
= Mac download version. It works on 32-bit and 64-bit Mac OS.
= Mac OS download version. It works only on 64-bit Mac OS.
= Linux download version.
= Portable version. No installation is required.
= The software is bundled with advertising. Be careful when you install the software and disable addons that you don't want!
Visit developers site = A link to the software developer site.
Download (mirror link) = A mirror link to the software download. It may not contain the latest versions.
Download old versions = Free downloads of previous versions of the program.
Download 64-bit version = If you have a 64bit operating system you can download this version.
Download portable version = Portable/Standalone version meaning that no installation is required, just extract the files to a folder and run directly.
Portable version available = Download the portable version and you can just extract the files and run the program without installation.
Old versions available = Download old versions of the program.
Version history available = Complete changelog on our site.
= Windows version available.
= Mac OS version available.
= Linux version available.
Our hosted tools are virus and malware scanned with several antivirus programs using www.virustotal.com
Rating from 0-10.