What are Blu-ray and DVD region codes, country codes, multi-region or zone locks? Read DVD Player region codes and Blu-ray region codes.
41 user region code comments
|May 21, 2006||Post region code/hack comment|
|Other hack posted by malcolm, January 22 2003:|
I had my DAV s-550 dvd coded by a sony dealer. He done the job in front of me with a special remote from sony. He first press the display and the stop button while turning the volume knob to the right. Then he used the remote to coded to region one.
|Region code hack posted by Martin Strempfer, March 16 2003:|
I got my Sony DAV-S550 codefree using the guide from:
Just instead of buying their remote control I used my PALM with OmniRemote (http://www.pacificneotek.com/software/OmniRemote.zip) and Sony_DVD_hack.pdb (http://dev0_2000.tripod.com/).
First you have to put your DVD in Service mode, then send numbers 1 to 5 with the PALM, switch the DVD off and its codefree.
|Region code hack posted by Fuji Sartono, March 26 2003:|
i've tried d/l the remote and the sony hack file .. but it still doesn't work .. any hints?
|Region code hack posted by harry, March 31 2003:|
anyone know whare to find this elusive .pdb file?
|Region code hack posted by Brendan, April 04 2003:|
Here goes the hack pdb and Omniremote...Let us know if anyone gets it going....
|Region code hack posted by harry, April 05 2003:|
Tripod says the file is not available for downloading - can you put in somewhere else (the pdb file should be sufficient - onmiremote is available as a trial)
|Region code hack posted by Brendan, April 07 2003:|
PDB file for omniremote .Posted on Monday 7th april.Will only stay for a week . I tried it on new davs550 without any joy ...any takers ????
|Region code hack posted by Harry, April 09 2003:|
The hack (onmniremote using Sony_DVD_hack.pdb) posted by Brendan works!!
Get into the service menu (step 1 and 2 of the first post here)
Press the buttons 1 - 5 in the Sony hack category of omniremote. The unit doesn't seem to react. The power button doesn't work. I repeated this several times (long presses, short presses, double presses). Eventually the display on the unit changed to "data reset".
Now I can play (at least) region 1 and 2 DVDs (no region 4 to try with but I'm sure these work too)
Thanks Attila & Brendan - region free at last without "renting" a remote for £40!
|Region code hack posted by Patrick, April 14 2003:|
Confirm that Brendan's hack works. Downloaded it onto a handspring treo 270 and hit the buttons twice until I think it was 'reset' came up on the screen. Beforehand, get into the 'service in'menu as described earlier. Played region 1 adn region 2 DVD's.
|Region code hack posted by Johannes, May 16 2003:|
1.) press and hold both the DISPLAY and the STOP button on the device while turning the volume knob to the right. The device should now display a service menu on the attached screen.
2.) get and install the omniremote software as well as the sony_dvd_hack.pdb file on a palm pilot. (I use omniremote version 1.171 on my palm III.
3.) while in the service menu, press the buttons 1 - 5 in the DVD hack category on your palm. (note that the power-button on the palm did not work with my device)
4.) on the device-display you should get a "data reset" confirmation. (Maybe it reads something slightly different, I cannot remember for sure).
5.) turn off your device via the remote.
According to other reports on the internet (also in these forums), your device should now be codefree. I cannot confirm this, because right now I don't have a disc with another regional code at hand. In the service menu of the dav-s550 the region has NOT changed (still at 2), so this has to be tried in the near future.
Hope that helps,
|Region code hack posted by Fabe and ST, June 08 2003:|
To All that who still couldn't hack the your DAV-S550, it should be made clear that once you are in TEST MODE MENU, press 0 on DVD remote control to get in SYSCON DIAGNOSIS. Then using your PALM/Sony CLIE press 1,2,3,4 and 5 on the Omniremote software loaded with SONY_DVD_HACK.
The screen should reset itself.
Turn the DVD to Standby using the DVD remote. This should make the DVD player region free.
Thank you for those provided help on the palm pilot section with whom this wouldn't be possible.
|Region code hack posted by Chris, June 15 2003:|
The hacks reported here definitely work. Thanks to Fabe, ST, Johannes and Brendan!
|Region code hack posted by Guillaume, June 17 2003:|
When I buy my DAVS-550, the sellers make the manipulation in front of me...
When the "Information System" menu appears, he firts press the "DVD" button on his Sony Remote, then he press 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 !
The display was "Data Reset", then he stand by the DVD Player for 5 seconds...
After my player was Region Free (infortunately, the region free gone when I have some electricity problems, when it was on ...)
Sorry for my english.
|Region code hack posted by frank, June 30 2003:|
hei guys finally i got it working !!!
i am using a sony DAV-S550 and a Sony Clie NX70V
(so i cracked sony with sony ;-)))
here is what i did
1. i downloaded omniremote here: http://www.pacificneotek.com/
2. i downloaded the crack here: http://dev0_2000.tripod.com/Sony_DVD_hack.zip
3. i put the dvd player into service mode doing this:
- press and hold both the DISPLAY and the STOP button on the DVD player
- turning the volume knob to the right
(The device should now display a service menu on the attached TV set)
4. change to the "SYSCON DIAGNOSIS" menu by pressing "0" on the remote control
5. now i pushed the 1 - 5 buttons serveral times on the palm appl.
(btw. i was very closed to the DVD player)
6. the display is showing "reset data"
7. i waited 5 sec. und turned it off
8. waited 5 sec. and turned it on !!!
i can play now DVD Reg. 1 and 2 ... i dont have others to test !!!
thanks for all your help
|Region code hack posted by Brendan, July 10 2003:|
Alternitive location for modified PDB for davs 550.
|Region code hack posted by Codefree Boy, July 11 2003:|
Schalte diesen und über 1000 weitere Modelle Codefree und Macrovison off unter http://www.codefree4u.de
|Region code hack posted by David, July 14 2003:|
I have a DAV-S500. I have a sony CLie and all the software installed. I'm following the instructions in the previous posts but I'm not getting anywhere. The guys in the S500 forum say the S550 info should work. I'm not getting the "reset" on my screen and I'm still locked on my region. Little help?
|Region code hack posted by Dante, July 20 2003:|
Tried this hack on the DVP-S550D but it didn't work. After entering 1-5, the system reset itself. I put in a region-3 disc and it still didn't work. Any help?
|Region code hack posted by Pete, August 14 2003:|
I've just done what was described above.. and it works on my dav-s550...
i just kept pressing the numbers till the described message apeared on the machines lcd display...
tested it with region 1 region 1 RCE and region 2.. all work... ( it was originally region 2 anyway...)
cheers to all for this...
|Region code hack posted by Dmitry, August 23 2003:|
Crack works! Except button 'Power'. But just enought to switch off and that on.
Thanks to everybody !
|Region code hack posted by ASM, August 26 2003:|
Oh - yes its worked for me aswell.
|Region code hack posted by DW, September 17 2003:|
|Region code hack posted by goldfid1er, September 18 2003:|
the link posted above is broken. are there any other sites out there?
|Region code hack posted by arther, September 23 2003:|
what the hell r u on about????? freaks
|Region code hack posted by Donny, September 30 2003:|
I have a region 2 NTSC dav-s550 and was wondering if anyone knew how to hack it. Will the above hacks work on mine too or only PAL players?
|Region code hack posted by DW, October 09 2003:|
when you click the link it sometimes takes you to here:
which is the error page that most people see. If you remove everything to leave you with
you should see a screen that offers a link to the file:
works for me anyway.
|Region code hack posted by tim, October 13 2003:|
i know some people have already asked but can this be done with pocket pc???
i have an ipaq 5550...
thanks in advance if anyone can help.
|Region code hack posted by Warpaint, October 20 2003:|
For everyone who wants a remote control for pocket PC.
The program is called PDAWin.
You can download a trial version free.
If you can input the IR codes directly then they are as follows (copied from the omniremote hack)
00013240 01FFFFF0 FFE3FF8F FE3FF8FF E1FFC7FF 1F87FF1F
8FFE3FF8 7FF1F8FC 3FF8FC7F 1FFC7E00 00000000 00000000
0003FFFF C7FF0FFE 3FF8FFE3 FF8FFE3F FC7E3FF8 FE3FF8FF
E3FF8FE3 F1FFC7F1 F0FFE1F8 00000000 00000000 00001FFF
FF1FFC7F F1FFC3FF 8FFE3FF8 FFE3F8FF E3F1FFC3 FF8FFE3F
1FC7FE1F 87E3FF8F C0000000 00000000 0000007F FFF87FF1
FFC7FF1F FC7FF0FF E3FF8FC7 FF0FC7FF 1FFC7FF0 FC7E1FFC
00013240 01FFFFF8 FFE3F1FF E3F1F87F F1FFC7E3 FF87E3FF
8FFE3FF8 7E3F1FFE 3F1F87FF 1F800000 00000000 00000000
000FFFFF 1FFC3F1F FC7F1F8F FE3FF87E 3FF8FE3F F8FFE3FF
8FE3F1FF C7F1F8FF E3F80000 00000000 00000000 0001FFFF
F1FFC7F1 FFC7E3F8 FFE3FF8F E3FF8FC7 FF1FFE3F F8FC7F1F
FC7E3F8F FE3F0000 00000000 00000000 00001FFF FF1FFC7E
3FFC7E3F 1FFE3FF8 FC7FF1FC 7FF1FFC7 FF0FC7E3 FFC7E3F0
FFE3F000 00000000 00000000 000001FF FFE3FFC7 E3FF8FE3
F1FFC7FF 1FC7FF1F C7FF1FFC 7FF1FC7E 3FF8FE3F 1FFC7F00
00000000 00000000 0000003F FFFE3FF8 FE3FF8FC 7F1FFC7F
F1F87FF1 F8FFE3FF C7FF1F8F E3FF8FC7 F1FFC7E0 00000000
00000000 00000003 FFFFE3FF 8FC7FF1F C7E3FF87 FF1F8FFE
3F8FFE3F F8FFE3F8 FC7FF0FC 7E3FFC7E
00013240 01FFFFF0 FFE3F1FF C3F1FFC7 F1FFC7E3 FF8FE3FF
8FFE3FF8 FE3F1FFC 3F1F8FFF 1F800000 00000000 00000000
000FFFFF 1FFC3F1F FC7F1FFC 7E3FF8FE 3FF8FC3F F8FFE3FF
8FC3F1FF C7F1F8FF E3F80000 00000000 00000000 0001FFFF
F1FFC7F1 FFC7E3FF 8FE3FF8F C3FF8FC7 FF1FFC3F F8FC7F1F
FC7E3F8F FE3F0000 00000000 00000000 00001FFF FE1FFC7E
3FF87E3F F8FE3FF8 FC7FF1FC 7FF1FFC7 FF1FC7E3 FF87E3F1
FFE3F000 00000000 00000000 000001FF FFE3FF87 E3FF8FE3
FF8FC7FF 1FC7FF1F 87FF1FFC 7FF1F87E 3FF8FE3F 1FFC7F00
00013240 01FFFFF0 FFC3FF0F FC3FF87F E1F0FFC3 F0FFC3E1
FFC3FF0F FC3F1F87 FE1F87C3 FF0FC000 00000000 00000000
007FFFF0 7FE1FF87 FE1FF87F F0F87FE1 F87FE1F0 FFE1FF87
FE1F0FC3 FF0F87F1 FF87E000 00000000 00000000 003FFFF8
7FF0FFC3 FF0FFC3F F8FC3FF0 FC3FF0F8 7FE1FFC3 FF0F87F1
FFC7E3F0 FFE3F000 00000000 00000000 001FFFFE 3FF87FF1
FFC7FF1F FC7F1FFC 7E3FF87E 3FF8FFE3 FF87E3F0 FFE3F1F8
7FF1F800 00000000 00000000 001FFFFF 1FFC7FF0 FFE3FF8F
FE3F0FFE 3F1FFC7F 1FFC7FF1 FFC3F1F8 FFE1F8FC 3FF8FC00
00013240 01FFFFE0 FFC3E1FF 87E1FF87 C3F8FC7F E0F87FF1
FFC7FE0F 87E3FF87 C3F0FFC3 F0000000 00000000 00000000
01FFFFC3 FF87C3FF 0FE3FF0F C7E1F8FF E3F8FFC3 FF0FFC3F
0FC7FF0F 87C3FF87 C0000000 00000000 00000000 03FFFFC7
FE0FC7FF 1F87FF1F 8FE3F1FF C7E1FF87 FE1FF87E 1F0FFE3F
8F87FF0F C0000000 00000000 00000000 0FFFFF8F FC3F8FFE
3F0FFC3E 1F87E3FF 8FE3FF8F FC3FF0FC 3E1FF87E 1F8FFC3F
00000000 00000000 00000000 1FFFFE1F F87F1FF8 7C3FF87E
3F0FC7FE 1F87FF1F F87FF1F8 7E3FF8FE 3E1FF87E 00000000
00000000 00000000 3FFFFC3F F8FC3FF8 F87FF0F8 7E3F0FFC
3F0FFC3F F0FFC3F0 FC7FE1F8 7E3FF8FC
00013240 017FFFE0 FF83E1FF 87E1FF87 E1D0FC3F E0F87FE1
FFC3FF0F 87E1FF87 C1F0FFC3 F0000000 00000000 00000000
0000FFFF E1FF83E1 FF87C1FF 87C1F0F8 3FE0F87F E1FF83FF
0F87E1FF 87C3F0FF C3F00000 00000000 00000000 000000FF
FFE1FFC3 E1FF87E1 FF07C3F0 F87FF0F8 7FE1FF83 FF0F87C1
FF87C3E0 FFC3F000 00000000 00000000 00000000 FFFFE1FF
87E1FF87 E1FF87C3 F0F87FE0 F87FE1FF 87FF0F87 E1FF87C3
F0FFC3E0 00000000 00000000 00000000 01FFFFE1 FF87E1FF
87C1FF07 C3E0F87F E1F07FA1 FF87FE0F 87C3FF07 C3F0FF83
E0000000 00000000 00000000 0001FFFF E1FF87E1 FF87C3FF
87C3E0F8 7FE1F87F E1FF83FE 1F87C3FF 87C3F0FF
I haven't tried this as I don't have a pocket PC or a DAVS550.
Hope it all works for you.
|Region code hack posted by stepht, October 21 2003:|
I used the method below posted by Peter Buscher / Karsten Thomsen to hack a DAV C770. It works on the DAVS550. I used a laptop with an IR port. Worked at first attempt!
1. Download Winsamp here: http://www.veg.nildram.co.uk/remote13.zip
This program will emulate an IR remote on your laptop
2. Extract the package onto a bootable DOS floppy disk. (this step is very important, I tried to use the software directly out of Windows before, but without success)
3. Download this IR code file and place it in the same directory as the package above. This file holds the five necessary IR codes converted to the format used by winsamp.exe. http://www.selen.org/files/REMOTE.TXT 4. Boot up your PC from the floppy disk and run winsamp.exe. If your IRDA port doesn't appear as COM2 you may override this by using an appropriate command line switch. For example, use COM1 by running 'winsamp C1'.
5. Press the 'r' key to load up the codes into winsamp.
6. Turn on the Player.
7. Hold down "Display" and "Stop" and and while keeping them pressed turn the volume knob to the right. Service IN mode should appear. (there's no need to hold "Prev" and it doesn't need to show "Mecha Lock", when it shows "SERVICE IN" you're ready to go) 8. Make sure your DVD player is in "Service IN" mode and your IRDA port is within range. 9. Run the IR codes from 1 to 5 by pressing Enter on each corresponding button. 10. Your DVD player should now display "DATA RESET".
11. Press the power button on the player remote.
12. Plug it out for 5-10 seconds.
13. Start it again, and play your region 1 ect. discs !!
|Other hack posted by Carlos, November 03 2003:|
Ref Vinny at October 15 2003:
I think this may be down to your TV, I had this problem with my old TV as it was a PAL TV only and not NTSC or both so i could only view in black and white unless region 2.
|Region code hack posted by Desmond, December 11 2003:|
Hi, my Sony DAV-S550 is coded to Region 3. I wonder if anyone had successfully hacked the player to be able to play all region DVD successfully ?
Really appreciate your help...Thanks.
|Region code hack posted by juan j., January 08 2004:|
the hack really works, I have a sony dav-s550 region 4 and I followed the next steps:
- I download the OmniRemote and installed to my palm clie and installed the Sony_DVD_hack.pdb (is kindda hard to find it)
-put the dvd in standby mode
-press and hold both the DISPLAY and the STOP button on the device while turning the volume knob to the right. The device should now display a service menu on the attached screen
-press "0" in the palm and another screen will appear
-then press 1,2,3,4 & 5 in the palm and the dvd will reset, then turn the dvd off with its remote control and your dvd will be multi-region
-I tried with a dvd region 1 and it works.
thanks to the guys who put this hack
|Other hack posted by hammeyva, January 19 2004:|
I've released sony_dvd_hack.pdb file in the e-donkey/e-mule network.
|Region code hack posted by hannon, January 23 2004:|
egion code hack posted by jaume, December 12 2003:
I have just used my laptop with an IR port to crack my DAV-S550. The method was as follows:
Fist thanks to Fuji and Attila for pointing me to the DVA-550 list where I got my information and to Stepht on the DVA-550 list who describes the PC side of it.
1. Build a Windows 95 boot disk. (If you're not on 95, you can get an '.exe' file from the web which will build one. You need to search Google for 'Windows 95 boot disk')
2. Download Winsamp here: http://www.veg.nildram.co.uk/remote13.zip This program will emulate an IR remote on your laptop.
3. Extract the package onto the bootable DOS floppy disk. (this step is very important).
4. Download this IR code file and place it in the same directory as the package above. This file holds the five necessary IR codes converted to the format used by winsamp.exe. http://www.selen.org/files/REMOTE.TXT
5. Next you need to find out what COM port your IR is on. If you know, great. If not, the help in the 'zip' above will tell you the IO address locations which correspond to each COM port. You can then use your BIOS config menu or PC user manual to tell you what the IO address is and the the info from the zip to give you the COM port.
6. Boot up your PC from the floppy disk and run winsamp.exe. If your IR port isn't COM2 you may override this by using an appropriate command line switch. For example, use COM1 by running 'winsamp C1'
7. Press the 'r' key to load up the codes from the REMOTE.TXT file into Winsamp.
8. Turn on the Player. Just as it starts, hold "Display" and "Stop" and and while keeping them pressed turn the volume knob to the right.
9. The screen will flash a few times and then a service menu will appear. Now back to the laptop....
10. You will see that the buttons 1 to 5 in the Winsamp screen are purple which means that they are usable. Press Enter with button 1 highlighted then button 2 etc up to 5. (Navigate with the arrow keys). After using some of the buttons (certainly button 1), you will see a cursor flash on the TV near the bottom left of the Service Menu. You can use this to check if the laptop is talking to the player properly. Let this stop flashing before pressing the next button. Alternatively, use buttons 1-5 about 10 seconds apart to be safe. The 'Data Reset' message will briefly appear in the TV (in my case after button 4, but I still pressed button 5).
11. Switch off the power to the player.
12. Unplug the player for 5-10 seconds.
13. Plug in and play any region!! (I had a UK machine, i.e. region 2 and have tested a US, region 1 DVD which played fine. From the messages above I'm pretty sure other regions will also be fine.)
Ps If you ish you can also use a learning remote control to accept the signal and then use the remote to transmit to the dvd ... (its easier than lining up your irport)
its also a good way to check that you did recieve a signal....
|Other hack posted by hammeyva, February 09 2004:|
I have tried the omniremote hack for my DAV-S550 region 3. Unfortunately it did not work. Finally, I brought to the shop I bought it, and they reprogrammed a chip. They did not use any remote controller oriented hack.
|Region code hack posted by BiowaX, April 30 2004:|
Just to add some information about the allready added hacks. A friend of mine bought this player, and wanted it region free. So the shop clerk clicked the display/stop and turning volume control as previously said. To get it region free he used a special remote, cliced dvd then 1,2,3,4,5 for all the zones..result, zonefree
|Region code hack posted by klintistwood, January 03 2005:|
Thanks for this wonderful site, before reading your comments I had no Pocket PC, no palm, no laptop, just my standard Sony Remote and of course my DAV S550. I was so excited by all your comments that I quickly managed to get my hands on a Palm M505 and a Pocket PC. So here are the results :-)
I tried first the pocket PC with PDAwin as remote control software. As you need to start from scratch with this software, you'll need to set up IR bindings with keys. I have tried the hex codes posted here but PDAwin can't recognize those signals as valid IR signals. So I haven't managed to make this work with the Pocket PC.
I then tried to install Omniremote with the Sony DVD hack on the Palm M505. I followed the instructions given here but no way to make it work but I think I have understood what went wrong with my (and your) manipulations. In fact when using the standard Sony skin on Omniremote, I noticed that not all of the buttons were recognized by my DVD player. It recognised button 1 to 4 but not more. The solution I found is quite easy, you simply need to train your palm with your sony remote controller signal. Select your standard sony skin with omniremote, then activate the learning button function. Put the Palm in front of your remote controller, press 1 on the palm and then follow the instruction on your screen, you'll be asked to press 1 on your remote as well. Repeat the operation for buttons 1 to 5 and also for power. Once you have done that, quit the training mode and go back to the sony hack skin and press 1-5 then power. It worked immediately, my tv screen flashed some text appeared (too fast to read) and then my tv screen went black. I tried it once again with the same method because I wanted to post the messages here but I have not been able to hack my dvd player a second time. I guess you can only do it once.
Good luck !
|Region code hack posted by tyrrp, January 06 2005:|
Anyone now how to convert the Omnitremote IR codes to work on a Philips Pronto TSU6000. Or even if there is a way to do the hack through a Pocket PC instead of a Palm.
|Region code hack posted by tyrrp, January 11 2005:|
Here is a link to a .ccf file for use with Philip's Pronto remote controls. I tried it and it works fine.
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/fi ... rdrgx3.zip
|Other hack posted by Joe, April 17 2005:|
Tried playing Region 1 dvd in my DAV S550 when recently purchased and played but in black and white only.
Tried this hack, put into "SERVICE IN" mode, pressed 1-5 on Palm Omniremote and have got the message on dvd "DATA RESET", then turned off for 5 secs and started back up via Sony remote control.
Tried Region 1 dvd again but will still only play in black and white, not colour.
What is happening any ideas out there what I'm doing wrong.
|Region code hack posted by numberonekiwi, May 21 2006:|
I have tried the hack using PDAWin and Winsamp I know winsamp is sending a
signal because I have saved it using nero (for pocket pc) but the unit does not
respond at all to any command (ie no flashing cursor in test mode menu or
Model :HCX-1113_CE is displayed
Revision : 1.080
if thats any guide but if thats what yours displays you are problery wasting time
and money !!!
|1 DVD Hack hits, Showing 1 to 1 DVD Hacks|
= New region code/hack comments since your last visit.