Plex Media Center bridges the gap between your Mac/Windows and your home theater, doing so with a visually appealing user interface that provides instant access to your media. Plex can play a wide range of video, audio and photo formats as well as online streaming audio and video. The real power of Plex is found in its library features: Organize your media into versatile libraries, automatically retrieve metadata from the Internet, and display your libraries using one of the visually stunning skins.
Plex Media Server 0.9.9.5 is now available to Plex Pass holders.
Now with a few more fixes.
- Fix a possible source of sleep prevention.
- Fix for playback of some channels with Chromecast.
- Transcoder fix for Chromecast.
Plex Media Server 0.9.9.4 is now available to Plex Pass holders.
Added a new scheduled task to re-scan (refresh) all libraries.
Added an advanced preference to specify backup location for database.
A crash performing database backups scheduled task (ironic, no?)
Media index files scheduled task indexes from newest media to oldest.
Stop listing 3am twice in scheduled task list, even though it's an awesome KLF song.
Fix the media analysis scheduled task to operate only on items which really need it.
Workaround a common crash seen in the wild around NAT-PMP.
Fix an issue when transcoding media from another server.
(CloudSync) Fix an issue around syncing media with subtitles.
Plex Media Server 0.9.9.3 is now available to Plex Pass holders.
- Scheduled tasks! A new way to keep your server running quickly (Plex Pass only).
- Supported for HTTP chunked responses when doing streaming transcodes.
- Don't save progress under a minute for videos (5 seconds was annoyingly short).
- (API) Add filters support to /arts endpoints, and pass back title.
- Setting per-library preferences was broken.
- Profile improvements for ATV, Chromecast, Roku, Windows, and iOS.
- Speed up transcoder access to source media.
- Increase size of request pool, limit on simultaneous transcodes.
- Fixed an issue transcoding files with MJPEG video streams.
- Fixed a crash when transcoding a file without audio stream.
- Fixed a few cases where server could become unresponsive.
- Respect profile's bitrate limit when trasncoding.
- (Windows) Fix a crash during simultaneous photo transcodes.
- Fix a rare crash when transcoder sessions ended.
- Fixed an issue where photos got analyzed over and over again.
- Fix a crash when threads couldn't be added to the pool.
- (Linux) Possible fix for high CPU when detecting changes in directories.
- (Windows) Deleting files on via the web app was unreliable.
- Noisy log when multiple network interfaces are active.
- A few very important security fixes (thanks to Stefan Viehböck from the SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab).
- (Windows) Fix an issue where seeking could end up in an endless loop.
- Fix an issue where shared users could affect admin's view state.
- (DLNA) Photos were displaying at low resolution.
- (DLNA) Playback shows up in Now Playing area.
- (DLNA) Fix for some Panasonic TVs.
- Massive improvements to media index file generation (throttles, doesn't block scanning).
- (Sync) Cancelling a transcode didn't work.
- (Sync) A few fixes around item status and size reporting.
- (Cloud Sync) Track upload progress.
- (Cloud Sync) Fix an issue where too many file descriptors could be open.
- An issue where empty media index files could cause an out-of-memory crash on Android.
Plex Media Server 0.9.9.2 is now available to Plex Pass holders.
Fixes for duplicates and missing files during partial scans.
A few fixes for media which wouldn't play remuxed on a Chromecast.
Web app wouldn't launch on Synology boxes with bonded Ethernet.
Some entries in Now Playing incorrectly wouldn't show a transcode session.
Fix a crash deleting old transcode directories.
Allow albums to have background art too.
Greatly speed up recently viewed shows computation.
Remove thumbnail streams during media analysis.
Don't limit bitrate when video has no metadata, fixes low-quality channel transcodes.
(Roku) Tweak profile to remove PAL framerate limitation.
(Windows Phone) Downmix to stereo, improves playback.
(DLNA) Photos were displayed at a low resolution on the PS3.
Plex Media Server 0.9.9.1 is now available to Plex Pass holders.
Add ability to perform a partial scan of a library underneath a specific path (--directory).
When refreshing a show, do a partial scan as well of that show's folder.
Add ability to do partial scans based on folder changing (enabled by advanced preference).
(API) Allow stack=0 to be passsed to global recentlyAdded endpoint.
(API) Add audio and sub stream language as possible filters.
(API) Return "duplicate" as an advanced filter. Add includeAdvanced=1 parameter to /filters.
(API) Add library section prefs endpoints (/library/sections/X/prefs).
Added a new "includeInGlobal" library section preference.
Support for Synology DS214Play (download the Intel Synology build).
Fixed up packaging for ReadyNAS OS 6.
Support for FreeBSD 9 & 10.
(DLNA) Updated profiles for Roku.
Tweak for 4k video resolution detection.
(Chromecast) All builds include fix for 5.1 audio.
A crash in the experimental "Quicksilver" transcoder.
(Synology/Intel) Issues with transcoder and video files not thumbnailing.
Plex Media Server 0.9.9.0 is now available to PlexPass holders.
Cache information from plex.tv in case of downtime.
Some other interesting stuff...
(Windows) Fix for analysis failing on files > 4GB (e.g. MP4 files failing).
(Windows 8/Phone) Updated profiles.
An issue where .plexignore files weren't working correctly.
The system bundle could show up in recently used channels.
(Cloud Sync) Use the newer Bitcasa API.
If media streams aren't present, perform on-the-fly analysis.
Fix for rear channels being silent with Chromecast and 5.1 audio.
(PowerPC) Fix for media analysis not working.
Tweaks for universal profile to operate even without media analysis (fixes some iOS playback issues).
(Samsung) Profile tweaks and improvements.
Fixes for media index files for Roku.
Don't log tokens.
I tried a previous version and it was very slow starting videos due to waiting while it transcoded. Perhaps there were profiles that would allow it to skip transcoding but I didn't see any in the menus. Also I noticed Plex wants media files to have names in a specific format. I had no interest in renaming all my media. Serviio was much faster for me so I uninstalled Plex and went back to using Serviio.
I now tried the updated version 0.9.7.9. I got the following error message "A problem has been detected with a core component of Plex. Please visit the forums". So with the newer version I couldn't get it to work at all. The program may be good once they get the bugs out. Of all the DLNA servers I've tried Serviio works the most reliably.
Please make it work on 1 million Roku players, and many more Wii's and you really got a winner. I gave it a 9 across the board because you are on the right track.
Posted April 13, 2011 by sum_guy.
Tool version 0.9.2.7
using OS Windows 7
Ease of use 9
Value for money 9
Overall score 9
1 tool hits, Showing
NEW SOFTWARE= New tool since your last visit
NEW VERSION= New version since your last visit
NEW COMMENT= New comment since your last visit
Type and download NO MORE UPDATES? = The software hasn't been updated in over 2 years. NO LONGER DEVELOPED = The software hasn't been updated in over 3 years.
RECENTLY UPDATED = The software has been updated the last 31 days. Freeware = Free software. Free software = Free software and also open source code. Freeware/Adware = Free software but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Free software/Adware = Free software and open source code but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Trialware = Also called shareware or demo. Trial version available for download and testing with usually a time limit or limited functions. Payware = No demo or trial available.
v1.0.1 = Latest version available.
Download beta = It could be a BETA, RC(Release Candidate) and even a ALPHA version of the software.
Download (direct link) = A direct link to the software download.
Download (developer's site) = A link to the software developer site.
Download (mirror link) = A mirror link to the software download. It may not contain the latest versions.
Download old versions = Free downloads of previous versions of the program.
Download 64 bit version = If you have a 64bit operating system you can download this version.
Download portable version = No installation is required, just extract the files to a folder and run directly.
= Windows version available.
= Mac OS version available.
= Linux version available.
Our hosted tools are virus and malware scanned with several antivirus programs using www.virustotal.com.