MKVcleaver is a GUI (Graphical User Interface) for mkvtoolnix, designed to extract data from MKV files. It can be used in a batch mode (loading and extracting data from many files) as well as single file mode. It has a simple GUI interface, but a lot of functionality. Requires mkvtoolnix.
Free software Win
Version:0.6.0.3 Released: Size:3.8MB Portable version
* Updated to work with latest MKVToolNix
* Updated MediaInfo dll
* Changed all command and log files to UTF16 Big Endian
* Added OPUS codec
* Added character escaping in MKVToolNix options file for all paths
* Fixed some crashes (the ones I could recreate)
* Minor bug fixes
v 0.6.0.2 Released
* When converting from h264 to avi files were being split at 2 GB mark and that would produce broken avi. Removed size limit on output files.
* MKVExtract option file was being saved in ANSI format. Changed to UTF8.
v 0.6.0.1 Released
* Paths were missing "" thus breaking when spaces were present
* MKVcleaver would not create %UserProfile%MKVCleaver path if it didn't exists
* XML2CellTime would error out when only one file was being converted
* Changed Portable versions to point to the %ScriptDir% for all config and log files
v 0.6.0.0 Released
* WIN 7 Taskbar Icon progress bar added
* Added progress bars inside GUI
* Added session handler. MKVcleaver will restore last used files if it crashes
* Changed from command line to options file when using MkvToolNix
* Added XML2CellTimes converter utility
* Changed track numbering to start with 0 if track # < 10
* Added menu to chose between simple and XML chapters
* MKVcleaver will now remember all options set in the last sessions
* Relocated custom.ini, log and options files to %UserProfile%MKVCleaver directory to avoid UAC problems
* MKVcleaver will now give an error about missing MkvToolNix instead of keeping Extract Tracks button greyed out
* MediaInfo updated to the latest version
* Fixed MKVcleaver 64-bit random crashes
* Max path depth limit is now gone
* GetCodecs tools wouldn't always respond to controls
* MKVcleaver is now compatible with all versions of MkvToolNix up to v 5.8.0
* Some source optimization
* Code optimization
* Other minor fixes...
Extract included files into the directory where MKVcleaver is installed.
This is not a full package. You must have MKVcleaver 0.5.0.3 installed to use this version.
This version is modified to work only with MkvToolNix 188.8.131.52 or newer. Please do not use it if you have MkvToolNix older than 184.108.40.206.
v 0.5.0.3 Released
* MKVcleaver did not output any files even through it reported successful extraction.
* About box caused glitches if OK button was clicked.
* Progress was not calculating properly in Timecodes Only mode
* Added an option to turn off VFR Detection to Settings menu.
* Almost everything is disabled when extracting.
* MediaInfoDLL is updated to the latest version.
v 0.5.0.2 Released
* Fixed "Timecodes Only" not working bug.
* Converted logging to UTF.
v 0.5.0.1 Released
* File names were not cleared from memory after Drag & Drop used.
* Changed Drag & Drop interface to full UTF support.
v 0.5.0.0 Released
* Fixed process termination code for when cancel button pressed
* Fixed logging code for when cancel button pressed
* Fixed typo in the file description
* Added Settings, Tools and Help menus
* Moved all user accessible settings to Settings menu
* Added a tool to manipulate extensions and codecs in custom.ini
* Added a tool to retrieve codecs from matroska files
* Added ability to pass file names to MKVcleaver from command line, Open With or Send To menus.
* Added Help and Donate links to Help menu
* MKVcleaver will update MediaInfo.dll to the latest version
v 0.4.1.5 Released
* Fixed --no-ogg switch problem with mkvtoolnix version 220.127.116.11
v 0.4.1.4 Released
* Redesigned Drag & Drop code
* MKVcleaver now allows to Drag & Drop mix of files and directories
* MKVcleaver now allows to D&D multiple directories
* Fixed bug where MKVcleaver assumed that all files are located in the same directory when D&D used
* MKVcleaver will now display channel information for audio tracks in the left pane
v 0.4.1.3 Released
* Fixed path generation code
* Fixed path detection when D&D used
* MKVcleaver can now detect errors from mkvextract.exe
* User is notified if errors and/or warnings occurred while extracting
* Added status bar message if extraction finished successfully
v 0.4.1.2 Released
* About Dialog completely redesigned. All links now open with default browser.
* Logging is now enabled and more verbose.
* Log file size can be controlled. Default size is 10 MB (See Help file on how to use)
* All attachments are now extracted to "destination folder<filename>attachmentname.ext"
v 0.4.1.1 Released
* Some internal code changes (does not affect functionality)
* Logging is disabled in this release
* Mkvmerge output is forced to English
v 0.4.1.0 Released
* Fixed: MKVcleaver was not releasing mediainfo.dll handles properly
* Better progress tracking in status bar.
* MKVcleaver will now check if mkvextract.exe and mkvmerge.exe exist in the same folder.
* MKVcleaver will give an error and stop processing if mkvmerge.exe returns error or blank.
* MKVcleaver will give an error and exit if mediainfo.dll could not be loaded.
* MKVcleaver can now shutdown your PC when done.
How to use:
Create a shutdown entry in custom.ini under GUI section. If shutdown=1 then MKVcleaver will shutdown your PC once and turn this setting off, if shutdown=2 then MKVcleaver will shutdown your PC each time after it's done. And, of course, shutdown=0 will turn this off. If MKVcleaver doesn't find shutdown entry, it will assume it's off.
v 0.4.0.0 Released
* MKVcleaver can now be maximized and resized
* Position and size settings are now stored in custom.ini
* Saving of position and size can be turned on and off by pressing Alt+Shift+R
* Track setting are now only reset if information about the files has changed.
* Remove button will be grayed out until at least one file is checked in the left pane.
* Extract button will be grayed out until something that can be extracted is checked in either left or right panes.
* Double right click on a file in the left pane to get detailed info on a file.
* 2-letter language tag can be appended to the end of audio and subtitle tracks.
* Language tag can be turned off and on by right click in the upper right corner of Filename Options box.
* Language tag option is saved in custom.ini file.
Everything else will be added upon either majority requests or my own whim.
Version 0.3.0.0 Released
This version has some fixes:
* Extract button is disabled til mkvtoolnix path is correct and there is at least one file added.
* MKVcleaver will only check if mkvextract.exe exists. No other checks done.
* Remove button will only be enabled if one or more files are checked.
* Path to mkvtoolnix is now stored in custom.ini file. No other settings are saved in this release.
* Settings are not reset, if an error occurred or if the cancel button was pressed and no files were processed. In all other cases settings will be reset.
* Fix Get Detailed Info context menu
* Add ability to Maximize
Minor gui fixes. This won't affect functionality.
Drag & Drop support
Per file setting override
Detailed information for each file on demand
File naming options for easy sorting
Language tag for audio and subtitle tracks
Save files to original directory or select a single directory
Raw FLAC output option
Automatic file format detection
Automatic track codec detection
Automatic extension assignment
Automatic timecode extraction for VFR tracks
Timecodes only mode
Custom extensions for any codec
Remembers position of GUI window
Convert H264 tracks to AVI option
Detailed progress of extraction process
Copies needed files into the same directory automatically
For those new to MKVcleaver, it requires MKVToolNix to work. Unfortunately, the latest version of MKVToolNix (6.7.0) breaks MKVcleaver (0.6.0.2). It extracts streams as an unknown file type rather then giving them the correct extension.
Fortunately though, you can have multiple versions of MKVToolNix on a PC. As well as an installer, there's portable versions of MKVToolNix which you can simply download, unzip and run. The latest version which works with MKVcleaver is version 6.6.0. Simply download it, upzip it to a folder, then copy the folder somewhere (ie to the folder where MKVcleaver resides). Run MKVcleaver and use the "Locate MKVToolNix" button to tell it to use the correct version of MKVToolNix. That way if you want to, you can still have a newer version of MKVToolNix "installed" to use for everything else, while MKVcleaver uses the version which keeps it happy. Hopefully MKVcleaver will be updated sometime soon to fix the problem, but until then, you can find older versions of MKVToolNix on the MKVToolNix page on this site. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix/old-versions#download
Oh, this version actually does work, and it works well but:
1. When you load a file it doesn't show the subtitle or chapters as extractable streams, although you can extract them
2. Why the heck doesn't it extract to current folder as default? There isn't a setting for this either.
Does not work with the latest mkvtoolnix.
In fact I don't know if it works at all, I'm not going to download different versions of mkvtoolnix to test. A shame since the GUI has always been great as well as the functionality.
V5.02 not extracting srt subtitles,v5.01 works ok.
Posted November 07, 2010 by johns0.
Tool version 5.02
using OS Windows 7 64-bit
Ease of use 10
Value for money 10
Overall score 1
1 tool hits, Showing
NEW SOFTWARE= New tool since your last visit
NEW VERSION= New version since your last visit
NEW COMMENT= New comment since your last visit
Type and download NO MORE UPDATES? = The software hasn't been updated in over 2 years. NO LONGER DEVELOPED = The software hasn't been updated in over 3 years.
RECENTLY UPDATED = The software has been updated the last 31 days. Freeware = Free software. Free software = Free software and also open source code. Freeware/Adware = Free software but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Free software/Adware = Free software and open source code but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Trialware = Also called shareware or demo. Trial version available for download and testing with usually a time limit or limited functions. Payware = No demo or trial available. Portable version = A portable/standalone version is available. No installation is required.
v1.0.1 = Latest version available.
Download beta = It could be a BETA, RC(Release Candidate) and even a ALPHA version of the software.
Download (direct link) = A direct link to the software download.
Download (developer's site) = A link to the software developer site.
Download (mirror link) = A mirror link to the software download. It may not contain the latest versions.
Download old versions = Free downloads of previous versions of the program.
Download 64-bit version = If you have a 64bit operating system you can download this version.
Download portable version = Portable/Standalone version meaning that no installation is required, just extract the files to a folder and run directly.
= Windows version available.
= Mac OS version available.
= Linux version available.
Our hosted tools are virus and malware scanned with several antivirus programs using www.virustotal.com.