GOM Player is a free multimedia player with popular video and audio codecs built-in. GOM Player supports file formats such as AVI, DAT, MPEG, DivX, XviD, WMV, ASF and more. Users don't have to install codecs separately. GOM Player is capable of playing incomplete or damaged AVI files by skipping the damaged frames. It can also play broken, locked or partially downloaded files. Bundled with adware but can be disabled.
Modified the software's AAC codec.
Removed AC3 Tab and internal options.
Corrected a sync issue with certain TS files.
Corrected a playback issue with certain MP4 files.
Added playback history management options (Win7 +).
Minor misc changes and fixes.
GOM Media Player 184.108.40.20639 [2013 03/26]
Corrected an issue with the MPEG source filter.
Added support for 10bit AVC files.
Corrected a playback speed control issue (WMV).
Improved FLV playback with internal filters.
Improved playback for certain MTS files.
Improved the seek function for H.264 videos.
Playback Speed Control improved (0.2x - 16x).
Improved Easy Browser preferences.
Snapshot Preview shortcut added (CTRL + Q).
Corrected a volume message display issue.
Misc fixes and changes.
Changes in version 220.127.116.1133 include:
1. Windows 8 Support Added / Windows 98SE support dropped.
GOM Media Player now officially supports windows 8 64bit and 32bit versions. Furthermore, official support for Windows 98SE has been dropped.
2. Default MPEG Transport Stream changed.
The default source filter for playback of MPEG-2 based file formats (MTS, M2TS, TS, TP, etc) has been changed to "GOM Player's internal source filter 2".
3. Added additional Aspect Ratio options.
Users can now manually set the video aspect ratio to [1.85:1] and [2.35:1] from the GOM (right-click) menu.
4. Audio playback issue corrected.
An issue where an external filter was not being used properly for playback of AC3 files has been corrected.
5. RTL Language Subtitle Support is now enabled by default.
6. File Playback Information will now include the version of GOM Media Player being used.
7. Corrected a security issue
8. Various fixes in phrasing and spelling
9. Other miscellaneous issues have been addressed and corrected.
Changes in version 18.104.22.16819 include:
1. Improved AAC Audio Support
Corrected an issue where audio was not being played correctly when trying to play video or audio files that used AAC audio encoding.
2. AVI Playback Issue Corrected
Fixed an issue that caused some AVI files to play incorrectly in version 22.214.171.12406
3. SRT Subtitle Display Issue Corrected
Fixed an issue that was causing SRT subtitles to be displayed incorrectly when the files were located in folders that were named using non-English characters.
4. RTL Subtitle Support Added (beta)
Added a feature that will display right-to-left subtitles in the correct order. This feature can be enabled by opening the Preferences window (push F5), selecting “Subtitles” from the list on the left, going to the “Others” tab, and checking the box next to “RTL Language Subtitle Support[Beta]”. As the name suggests, this feature is in the beta phase.
5. Miscellaneous Fixes
Minor fixes concerning bugs, phrasing, and other issues have been applied.
Changes in version 126.96.36.19906 include:
1. Disable Splash Screen Function (window that appears when closing the player) added.
Users can now permanently disable the splash screen that periodically appears when closing the player. This can be done from the Preferences window (Preferences -> General -> Network tab -> Splash Screen). Resetting the player to it's default settings or re-installing the software after uninstalling will re-enable the Splash screen until it is disabled again.
2. Improved the Gretech MP4 Source Filter.
Corrected an issue that was causing MOV files recorded with CANON and FUJIFILM digital cameras to be played with no sound under the software's default settings.
3. Altered default screen size settings.
In the previous version the "Only apply when launching a new instance of GOM Player" option was enabled by default, causing all videos to open at 100% size of the first video viewed during that session. This option is now disabled by default.
4. Improved playback for extremely large files (AVI, MKV, WMV, ASF, MP4, OGG, TS)
Corrected a problem that caused files that are larger than 40MB per second to play incorrectly.
5. Added the LAV Audio Decoder to the Disabled Filters List
Due to compatibility issues that were causing playback errors, the LAV Audio Decoder is now disabled by default.
6. Corrected the Gretech FLV Source Filter
When trying to play FLV files that included audio that was encoded with the Speex codec, a "0x00000055" error was displayed and the file could not be played. The Speex codec is still not supported, however video can now be viewed properly when playing such files.
7. Improved the Gretech AVI Source Filter
Corrected an issue where audio was not played correctly on some AVI files that were comprised of multiple indexes.
8. Product information added to the Windows Control Panel
When highlighting GOM Player in the Programs and Features section of the Windows Control Panel, Product Version information, a Help Link, a Support Link, and an Update information link are now displayed at the bottom of the window.
9. Impoved the Playback Window size adjustment feature
Previously when using the [Ctrl] + [Alt] + Numpad [-] shortcut you could make the playback window so small that it would completely disappear. This issue has been corrected and a minimum size has been applied.
10. Adjusted the default AC3 options
Previously there was a slight boost applied to AC3 gain by default, which was causing minor audio distortion in some files. The AC3 Gain control is now set to 0 by default.
Miscellaneous minor changes to phrasing, etc.
Changes in version 188.8.131.5201 include:
- A security vulnerability related to the “Open URL” feature has been addressed and corrected.
Changes in Version 184.108.40.20685
An error where only one audio track would be available when playing certain multiple-audio MP4 files has been corrected.
Changes in Version 220.127.116.1183
- When stopping a video file after making changes to subtitle sync settings, a message will now be displayed asking whether or not to save the changes. This message can be turned on and off from the Preferences window.
- Added a feature whereby default playback window size settings will only be applied when launching a new instance of GOM Media Player
- Improved playback for uncompressed AVI files.
- Corrected an issue which caused some FLV files to be unplayable.
- Various minor changes and corrections
Changes in 18.104.22.16871
- Changed the background image that is displayed when playing audio files
- Added the ability to select 3D Subtitle Mode.
- Added the ability to change filters for playing TS files
- Improved the internal MKV source filter *
- Improved the internal MP4 source filter for MOV playback **
- Fixed a bug that caused playback errors with full screen mode when using the "default" skin.
- Added the ability to select whether or not to play files in a single thread.
- AB Repeat feature now works properly during DVD playback.
- Corrected an issue were some OpenDML AVI files over 2GB in size could not be played properly.
- Links that appear in the text bar of the main window will now open in the user's default browser when clicked (as opposed to IE)
- Updated the GOM Player EULA
- Other minor fixes
* V 2.1.28
- Added the MPEG2 source filter with improved search quality and playback error.
- Fixed an seeking error in some TS files
- Fixed a synchronizing error with video and audio in some TS files.
- Added MPEG source filter options to the preference.
- Fixed a calculation error of the average frame in the Gretech ASF Source filter.
- Fixed a sound issue of the Gretech Audio filter.
* V 2.1.27
- Changed extension Icon
- Fixeda problem of rapid playback of some proportionate MP3 files
- Fixed a bug of the ¡®%¡¯ character of SRT subtitles not appearing normally
- Fixed an error of SRT subtitles in Unicode form not appearing
- Changed the volume feature adjusted by 1% when under 5%
* V 2.1.26
- Fixed a bug with ogg file which is not normally played while downloading it
- Fixed an error with some of mp3 files are not played or having problem with playing time.
- Fixed a problem after scene searching, first part of subtitles is not shown occasionally
- Changed GOM Player icon and added icons for Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Modified source filter of MP3 local files
* V 2.1.25
- Modified source filter of MP3 local files
- Added 'Maximize' option to display resize menu
- Added ¡®Fit to full screen¡¯ options underPreferences(F5)>¡¯Playback¡¯ Menus>¡¯Playback¡¯ Tab>¡¯Default screen size when playing¡¯
- Enhanced subtitle¡¯s quality in ¡®VMR-Renderless¡¯ mode
- Updated blocking filter lists
- Linked to mts, m2ts, m2t extensions
- Selections available in the default linked programs list
- ASX 3.0 StartTime, Duration options applied to playlists.
- Fixed an issue with afterimages on the player skin
- Fixed an issue with not working function of extension connect/disconnect
- Fixed mouse inputting errors in ¡®VMR-Renderless¡¯ mode while DVD playing
- Fixed codepage recognizing error of some subtitle files
- Fixed an issue that some WMV files are not connected with built-in source filter
- Changed 'Random Play' function to 'Shuffle Play' function
- Enhanced functions which adjust & save subtitle syncs
- Add Gretech MP3 source filter
- Modified source filter of FLV local files
- Modified source filter of MPEG local files
- Modified source filter of MP4 local files
GOM Player 22.214.171.12446 Released [2009 11/05]
This major update fixes:
- Security patches (Solving vulnerabilities when downloading a logo file and executing external files)
- When using the Intel chipset graphic card, text error fixed in a particular Renderer.
- Bug fixed ; mismatching problem between SRT subtitles and assigned code-page
- When saving SRT subtitles sync, it will changed to SMI.
- Problem fixed ; codec finding in some MOV files.
- Bug fixed ; when keeping file handle after finishing playing OGG, MKV file.
- Bug fixed ; when playing MP4 by an imbedded source filter, recognize problem about some MP3 audio streaming.
- Improving downloading OGG file-playing function.
- Improving damaged FLV file-playing function.
- Improving local MKV file-playing function.
- Error Fixed ; problem when connecting some external file splitters.
- Bug fixed ; problem that pop-up finding subtitles page when trying to play a file which does not exist.
- Error fixed ; problem that making unintentional file-names when capturing audio/video of on-line videos.
- Error fixed ; video black-out problem in some conditions.
- Changing format of bookmark file to Unicode type and Improving speed of reading/writhing of bookmark.
- Adding shortcuts about move by a frame (next frame : Ctrl + > , former frame : Ctrl + < )
- Adding sizes in "Easy Browser" option. (1280*1024 / 1920*1080)
- Adding Exif information to jpeg file captured.
- Add disabled filter list
* V 2.1.18
- Fix: Abnormal video-output in some non-intel-type cpu system.
- Bug fix: When using built-in source filter, subtitle's sync problem at specific circumstance.
- Adjustment of text font size in Easy Browser.
- Bug fix: About Gretech MKV Source Filter.
- Bug fix: About Gretech OGG Source Filter.
* V 2.1.17
- Security patch: .srt subtitle
- Improve HD decoding performance
- Bug fix: Subtitle seeking problem
- Bug fix: VC-1(WVC1) video codec problem with certain MPEG media files
- Bug fix: EVR rendering problem
- Modifying GOM Player process priority level
- Modifying Gretech FLV source filter
- Modifying configuration wizard
- Add disabled filter list
[Update] GOM Player 126.96.36.19931 Released [2009 03/01]
This minor update fixes:
- Modify 'Deadlock problem' occasionally happened when you shut down the player.
- Improve Vorbis audio decoder performance.
[Update] GOM Player 188.8.131.5210 Released [2009 02/12]
This minor update fixes:
- Supporting AVC Video codec on FLV Local file / Network File.
- Supporting AAC Audio codec on FLV Network File.
- Putting the skin image file in order.
[Update] GOM Player 184.108.40.20625 Released [2008 12/24]
GOM Player Major Update Fixes :
- Fixed the bug that brought the DVD back to the beginning when playing after pausing.
- By using the TAB key, you can now see see how far along in the video you are due to the new implemented time function.
- Fixed the subtitle file bug that that crashed on the initial code page.
- Fixed so that subtitles can now be set between 0.1 seconds and 1.0 seconds to your preference.
- On the Right Click menu, the option to full screen will now correctly fullscreen, instead of maximizing as before.
- Fixed the bug that did not allow the execution of an entry of ASX format when an ASX file existed previously.
In the case that in an ASX file there is another ASX file, then ti would not execute correctly.
- Fixed the bug that did not allow Audio/Video scenes to be captured correctly due to UNICODE.
- New EVR (Enhanced Video Renderer) option has be added.
- In the case that that you cannot use VMR9/EVR there will be an error message with an X to let you know that you are not able to use it.
- When clicking on a link, GOM will utilize your default browser instead of opening with IE.
- Fixed the interface of the Video output page.
- Has the ability to make a log.
- Fixed the issue where the MKV video and A/V did not sync. (The time bar no longer goes backwards.)
- Fixed the problem where particular AVI files had issues with audio syncing.
- OpenDML play support has been built-in the AVI source filter.
- Changed the priority order in the ASF/WMV file filter.
- Improved Gretech ASF Source 2
- FLV Network Filter production.
- Theora Local File Source filter production.
- AAC support in the Flv Source Filter
- Built-in support to find the appropriate codec for .MOV files.
GOM Player 220.127.116.1154 is released.
This minor update fixes:
- a UI bug for Preferences window
- a bug related to Gretech ASF Source 2 Index Reading
GOM Player 18.104.22.16852 is released. You can use GOM Player's built-in updater to upgrade by pressing F1 and then clicking on "Update." Alternatively, you can download the latest version from download.com at http://www.download.com/GOM-Media-Player/3000-13632_4-10551786.html?tag=lst-1
The following changes were made:
- New feature: Quick Play Mode enables DXVA hardware acceleration, providing a smoother playback for high definition files
- Fixed a bug where bookmark file names were corrupted on certain Windows language settings
- Better update alert window
- Addition of a confirmation window when deleting files/folders from Easy Browser
- Fixed audio sync issue with Gretech Asf Source 2
- Combined external subtitle filter settings and filter settings
- Fixed a bug with screen saver option
- New options to select when internal source filters are used
- Random button on the playlist
- Link .TS, .TRP, .SVI files to GOM Player
- Edited the list of commands for user-defined shortcut keys
- Other minor fixes/improvements
GOM Player 22.214.171.12482 is released. This is a major update and it is available using GOM Player's auto update now. It should also be available from download.com shortly.
It is strongly advised that you upgrade to this version. All previous versions have a known buffer overflow vulnerability.
The following changes are made.
- bug fix: buffer overflow
- new feature: delete files from Easy Browser using DELETE key
- new feature: option to automatically sort files when you add a file to playlist
- bug fix: properly plays MP4(AVC1) files made by certain programs
- new feature: option to recursively add all files under a directory on playlist
- new feature: option to pause when minimized
- bug fix: playback for certain video types
- new feature: option to sort by directory name on playlist
- new feature: black list filter
- new feature: option to maintain the new play speed
- bug fix: properly finds keyframe when seeking
- supports Bluetooth multimedia keys
- supports FLV4 video codec
- new feature: audio sync control
- better recognition of TS files
- other minor fixes/updates
GOM Player 126.96.36.19999 Released. It is available using auto update now. It should also be available from download.com shortly.
The following changes were made:
- works without skin information file (skin.xml)
- properly plays VoxWare audio using Gretech ASF Source 2
- fixed a bug where keyboard shortcut settings weren't saved properly
- fixed screen size issue in VMR7-Renderless mode
- supports H.264 video codec for HDTV files (TS)
- fixed a bug where the video title wasn't displayed correctly
- smaller application window when launched
- supports DAVC video codec
- other minor bug fixes
GOM Player 188.8.131.5213 is released.
This release has the following changes:
- Screen is drawn properly in VMR9-Renderless mode when two monitors had different resolutions
- MP4/3GP files are played properly with audio and video
- Sorting works properly on the playlist
- Text displayed correctly on Japanese Windows
- Checks if there is an internet connection before looking for a codec online
- fixes other minor bugs
GOM Player 184.108.40.20607 is released. This release fixes the sorting feature for the playlist. If you do not use this feature, there is no need to upgrade from 220.127.116.1106.
GOM Player 18.104.22.16806 is released. This is a minor release that addresses several issues. This will be the last release before GOM Player 2.2 Beta.
Following changes were made:
- correctly plays AAC audio on Matroska files
- better MPEG2 codec support
- supports DVR-MS (Microsoft Digital Video Recording) format
- fixed a bug where screen capture wasn't working for videos from certain URL
- fixed an issue with local M3U files
- supports remote (HTTP) PLS list file
- supports DEP
- new design for playlist window
- supports FVFW, FFDS video codecs
- libvorbis version upgrade (1.1.2)
- other minor changes
GOM Player 22.214.171.12401 is released.
Code Change in Preferences--Subtitle-Others works properly on this version.
Please note that after you change the code page, you must reload the subtitle file(or restart GOM Player) for the change to take effect.
GOM Player 126.96.36.19999 is released. You can use GOM Player's autoomatic update feature for the upgrade, or download the latest version at download.com(http://www.download.com/GOM-Media-Player/3000-2139_4-10603404.html?tag=lst-0-1).
Latest update includes:
- addressed several incorrectly display texts
- no longer creates GomPlayer folder in My Documents by default
- file association for .mov, .mqv added
- better subtitle support for ASF files
- better deinterlacing
- supports .m2t
- fixed issues with .flv
- other minor problems
GOM Player 188.8.131.5290 Beta is now released.
GOM Player 2.1 Beta users will see an update notification on GOM Player(unless you changed the Update settings). Others can download it manually at:
Some changes since GOM Player 2.0 include:
- better Windows Vista support
- play SWF, FLV(Flash Video) files
- addressed several subtitle issues
. fixed a bug when displaying subtitles in MKV files as an image
. fixed a bug when displaying subtitles on image
. support SubRipper(.srt) subtitle files
. support MicroDVD(.sub) subtitle files
. support Unicode SRT, SSA, ASS files
. support subtitles in .txt extension
. support SSA, ASS format
. fixed a bug displaying VMR subtitles
- suggests installation of Windows Media Codec when there's an issue with WMV streaming
- displays background image on "center" works correctly
- fixed a bug where the program froze after saving audio/video settings
- added "No Action" for double-clicking left mouse button
- fixed Gretech MP4 Source filter's media type information
- added bit rate information on "Playing File Info.."
- right click shows a pop-up menu on caption
- proper window size for Preferences
- auto deinterlace feature for playiing DV video
- supports MPEG2-AAC for MP4 files
- fixed a bug where the process doesn't die after quitting
- screen capture folder is moved to My Documents
- properly plays large OGM files
- added /fullscreen /maximize as command line options
- fixed a bug with changing audio sample rate
- better file opening with threads
- fixed a bug with playing WVX, WMX files
- more options for right click
- fixed a bug with screen capture when streaming
- fixed a bug with Winamp DSP plug-in
- added hide recently played folder feature
- improved voice corection for playback speed control
- detailed error message for HTTP streaming errors
- fixed a bug with "File Open" window
- bigger title sectio on the default skin
- other issues are addressed
GOM Player 184.108.40.20683 Beta is now released.
GOM Player 2.1 Beta users will see an update notification on GOM Player. Others can download it manually at:
* If you installed 220.127.116.1183 before this announcement was posted, please re-download and install 18.104.22.16883. Previously posted file had a minor problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Some changes include:
- Disable double-click with left mouse button checkbox added (this removes the delay for the one-click action)
- Fixed a bug with MPEG2-AAC in MP4 files
- Supports MicroDVD (.sub) subtitle files
- Supports .SSA/.ASS subtitle files
GOM Player 22.214.171.12481 Beta is released.
It can be downloaded from:
- fixed compatibility issues with Windows Vista
- New GOM TV Streaming feature
- Wall Paper - Center works correctly
- Fixed a freezing problem after applying changes to preferences
- Fixed incorrecet media type info on Gretech MP4 Source filter
- Added audio bitrate info "Playing File Info.."
- Added an auto deinterlace feature for DV video playback
- Fixed a problem with displaying subtitle on image
- Moved Gom capture folder into My Documents
- Plays large OGM files correctly
- Plays SWF, FLV files
- Fixed audio bitrate change feature
- Better support for opening files using threads
- Fixed capture feature for streaming videos
- Fixed a Winamp DSP plug-in related issue
- More specific error codes for HTTP streaming error
- Other minor bugs are addressed.
This is another arrogant program that grabs associations to most of the common video files, without permission from the user and without giving the user a chance to prevent it. In the applications world, that is virtually criminal conduct, and the program should be boycotted until the programmer gets the message.
OK player, but no way to make it recognize monitor calibration .icm's. Like every media player it ignores calibration files and uses default monitor settings. There are plenty of good players around that either don't recognize .icm's or can't be tuned well enough to display images properly. Works OK, no major problems, but useless for testing PC-processed videos with proper white-points and color balance.
File association problem mentioned earlier appears to be fixed. Occasionally need to download a missing codec, but it has a far nicer interface and more convenient hot-keys than VLC( my backup media player.
This player has a lot of potential but this version has lots of problems. As an example, when installed it provides for file association. Unfortunatley it doesn't do any associating. If you force the association in File Types, the files will accociate but the program icon won't install. The software homepage has a forum but the developer/moderator is rarely there. When he is there, he may answer one question. Lots of questions/problems with very little input. Some furthur development and greater participation in the forum will help.
Posted February 24, 2009 by rwmol.
Tool version 126.96.36.19910 (Feb 12, 2009
using OS WinXP
Simply the best and for free too! For years I used the MPC & WinDVD combo to play all files then I discovered GOM Player, what a revelation. Forget amateur looking players such as VLC or the like GOM Player really is the real deal and so easy to use yet with so many superior advanced options over it's competitors. At last a TRUE heir to the throne of the once mighty (When properly developed) MPC.
Exceptional and excellent media player! I'm used to MPC, but this player is loaded with TONS! of advanced features. Its the only player I could find that can repeat the last subtitle or go to the next subtitle. It also has a nice A-B repeat option, frame by frame advance, variable speeds with voice adjustment, move back & forward by keyframe, bookmark and chapter support, loads of settings for subtitles, audio equalizer, and comes with built-in codecs and filters (no more double subtitles!). Very stable and smooth running. Simply the best media player I've used so far. Highly recommended, both for simple and pro users.
Will not play back DVDs made from ripped Dishnetwork Dishplayer HDDs and converted to DVD format. Oddly enough, those same DVDs can be played back with any DVD player standalone I own including my Panasonic E80H DVD recorder that isn't supposed to play out of spec DVDs. It will however play the RAW Mpegs from the Dishplayer which are 544X480 Dolby Digital as well as the edited Mpegs when run through VideoRedo. Very strange....
DVDs play fine for me. I use Cyberlink PowerDVD for MPEG2 decoding. Note GOM Player doesn't come with MPEG2 codec, but it uses the one installed on your system, so maybe that's why? I dunno.
It literally plays every video file I have with me... for some files, it didn't play, but then it gave me a link to download a free codec. love it!
I was veru enthusiastic about this software, it looks good, has a nice feel to it and is not overly complicated to work with yet have a lot of 'extra' options.
However, I could not get it to play DVD's from .ifo files, they would play but with no or distorted picture.
I now tried on two pc's with same result. Playing the VOB files directly worked, but the quality leaves something to be desired.
It handles divx/xvid and standard mpg files fine.
This could turn out to be a good software, but for now I hold my horses till DVD works proper for me. Maybe next version? :)
Posted August 28, 2006 by saamoa6669.
Tool version 2.0
using OS WinXP
Ease of use 5
Value for money 10
Overall score 5
1 tool hits, Showing
NEW SOFTWARE= New tool since your last visit
NEW VERSION= New version since your last visit
NEW COMMENTS= New comments since your last visit
Type and download NO MORE UPDATES? = The software hasn't been updated in over 2 years. NO LONGER DEVELOPED = The software hasn't been updated in over 3 years.
RECENTLY UPDATED = The software has been updated the last 31 days. Freeware = Free software. Free software = Free software and also open source code. Freeware/Adware = Free software but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Free software/Adware = Free software and open source code but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Trialware = Also called shareware or demo. Trial version available for download and testing with usually a time limit or limited functions. Payware = No demo or trial available.
v1.0.1 = Latest version available.
Download beta = It could be a BETA, RC(Release Candidate) and even a ALPHA version of the software.
Download (direct link) = A direct link to the software download.
Download (developer's site) = A link to the software developer site.
Download (mirror link) = A mirror link to the software download. It may not contain the latest versions.
Download old versions = Free downloads of previous versions of the program.
Download 64 bit version = If you have a 64bit operating system you can download this version.
Download portable version = No installation is required, just extract the files to a folder and run directly.
= Windows version available.
= Mac OS version available.
= Linux version available.
Our hosted tools are virus and malware scanned with several antivirus programs using www.virustotal.com.