Camtasia Studio is a complete solution for quickly creating professional-looking videos of your PC desktop activity. Anyone can Record and create a full-motion video tutorial or presentation, in real-time, and publish it in the format of their choice. No multimedia or programming experience necessary!
18 December, 2012: Camtasia Studio v8.0.4 Maintenance Release
Improved reliability of project saving and opening
Flash/HTML5 controller controls should now auto-hide when appropriate
Fixed a crash after rendering for Share to Camtasia Relay
Uploading to Relay no longer fails for project names with Ampersands
23 October, 2012: Camtasia Studio v8.0.3 Maintenance Release
Made lower volume levels more distinguishable on the timeline audio waveform
Arrow keys now scroll the playhead instead of the timeline
Tooltips now show for locked media
Improved ability to scroll the timeline while playing
Added ability to specify duration when extending a frame
Adding ripple moving and trimming of media on the timeline
Inserting space on the timeline by holding shift and dragging the playhead
Added option to include under video captions in a variety of outputs
Improved audio editing for timeline selections
Keyframes now automatically fit in available space when added to media
Improved messaging when uploading media to private or password protected folder on Screencast.com
Fixed an issue that caused extended frames to show incorrect cursor effects
Added ability to set the default animation duration to instant
Fixed an issue causing table of contents to not be initially visible
Improved memory usage and performance on the timeline
Fixed issues causing CS7 project upgrades to fail
Additional bug fixing
24 July, 2012: Camtasia Studio v.8.0.2 Maintenance Release
Fixed a startup crash in the Camtasia Studio editor
Fixed a variety of issues that caused projects to fail to open
Fixed a variety of project upgrade issues
Fixed a variety of issues relating to SCORM functionality
Shift + scroll now scrolls the timeline horizontally
Fixed an issue that caused incorrect cursor data in some recordings
Fixed a crash in Recorder when DivX 8 is installed
Improved noise reduction responsiveness
File names with hyphens should now upload correctly to Screencast.com
Fixed an issue causing a thin white line to show in the preview window
Fixed an issue causing the preview window to appear blank
Improved production rendering performance
Fixed a crash when uploading to YouTube
Fixed a few issues with showing captions on YouTube
H.264 AVIs should now work correctly in the Camtasia Studio editor
Added undo/redo buttons on timeline toolbar
Added a tooltip for duration of a range selection on the timeline
Fixed an import issue for camrec files with blank system audio
Additional bug fixing
26 June, 2012: Camtasia Studio v8.0.1 Maintenance Release
Added support for small screen quizzing displays
Fixed an issue causing an artificial line on the right edge of the video in preview and production
Fixed an issue that did not allow adding key frames to media under a transition
Changing project information should now mark the project as modified
Black bars should no longer show on top and bottom in PPT recordings
New callouts should no longer have a fade in when the last transition had it turned off
It should now be possible to disable quizzing when the controller is disabled in the production wizard
Fixed a crash when opening projects from a network location
Markers on a media under a transition should now be included in a produced table of contents
Fixed a crash when adding a video with large dimensions to the timeline
Fixed various issues interfering with Camtasia running on Windows 8
Additional bug fixing
19 June, 2012: Camtasia Studio v8.0.0 Major Release
Added the TSC 2 video codec for the ability to record larger dimensions and more graphical content with higher frame rates
Added the ability to have unlimited multimedia tracks on the timeline, enabling the ability to layer multiple different types of media including videos, graphics, images and more on top of each other
Added the ability to group and ungroup items on the timeline
Added the ability to move (animate) any type of media on the timeline over time
Added the ability to set the background canvas color from the Editing Dimen-sions dialog
Added the ability to modify the visual properties of media on the timeline
Added the ability to rotate any media along the X, Y, or Z axis, and to animate the rotation over time
Added the ability to resize any media and to animate the change in size over time
Added Visual Effects including Drop Shadow, Colorize, and Border
Added the ability to apply visual effects to any media on the timeline
Added the ability to adjust Drop Shadow distance, direction, opacity and blur
Added the ability to apply colorize effect to any media and adjust the amount of colorize applied
Added the ability to apply a border to any media and adjust the color and thickness of the border
Added the ability to directly manipulate media items in the Canvas (Preview Window)
Added snap guidelines in the Canvas to help align media objects
Added the ability to move media from one visual layer to another on the timeline
Added the ability to have generic multimedia tracks instead of dedicated audio, video, pip, callout, etc. tracks
all new themed content in the Library, including music, graphics, animations, titles, and lower thirds designed to match
Added a new callout style called Glow
Added new callout shapes with text
Added new callout lines and arrows
Added new sketch motion callout shapes
Added new pixelate callout
Added the ability to have markers on the timeline as well as having markers locked to a clip or group
Added new transitions and enhanced existing transitions
Added the ability to change the name of tracks on the timeline
Added the ability to change the duration of an animation lead-in time
Added the ability to change the clip speed by directly dragging the clip on the timeline
Added the ability to have blank space between media on the timeline
Added a custom color picker option to the border and fill options of the Callout view and Visual Properties view
Added a slider to easily adjust track heights
Added the ability to apply audio volume leveling and noise removal to individual audio clips
Added an option to show and hide the marker and quiz trays
Added an indicator to the horizontal timeline scroll bar to show where the playhead is located in relation to your viewing area
Added true or false question type to quizzes
Added the ability to have quizzes work on Screencast.com
Added a quiz reporting framework to allow quizzing results to be sent automatically without the quiz taker needing to send an e-mail
Added the ability to assign a hotkey for adding a quiz
Added an option to "Use GPU acceleration if available" in Tools > Options dialog
Added TechSmith Smart Player to support both Flash and HTML5 when producing to the MP4 file --Added the ability to choose different designs for the playback controls of the TechSmith Smart Player
Added the ability for viewers who are using an iPhone to use the TechSmith Smart Player iOS app to playback content with interactive features
Added the ability to include image thumbnails with Table of Contents entries
Added additional product key validation to the product
Enhanced the Zoom options to support multiple track video editing
Enhanced the way transitions work so that it does not add time to the duration of your timeline or productions
Enhanced the video dimension options in the custom production path
Updated the quiz creation process
Updated the Welcome Window to have more links to more information on the web
Updated the Sync Captions workflow format, ensuring video playback on multiple devices and browsers
Updated the video production presets available to enhance support for mobile devices
Updated product installation: Now using WIX technology
Updated product branding and logos
Improved the editing playback performance to handle larger dimension videos and higher video playback frame rates
Modified the AutoSave interval to be 2 minutes by default
Modified the default duration of transitions to be one second
Modified Title Clips by moving them to the Library tab
Improved the options from the Tools > Options dialog
Fixed an issue that would cause mouse trails to appear in the post recording preview window when recording with certain video codecs
Removed the camv, rm, FLV, and SWF production formats because MP4 is a more widely supported format with better quality
Removed certain options during production: the ability to embed an AVI into HTML, to manage WMV profiles, to remove callout fades, and to change the zoom and pan speed to instant because these options are no longer relevant
Removed Camtasia Theater from the installation of Camtasia Studio
Removed the Pack and show tool
24 May, 2011: Camtasia Studio v7.1.1 Maintenance Release
Fixed an issue that would cause some of the installer screens to have truncated text when using a higher DPI setting on Windows
Addressed an issue that would cause ʺError 1722ʺ to appear during installation of Camtasia Studio
Improved the Undo/Redo actions and reliability for Captioning and Speech to Text options
Fixed some text label truncation on the Flash Options page for production
Fixed some application crashing when working in the Captions tab
Improved the reliability of uploading to You Tube
Fixed some crashing and failed production possibilities when having clips of different audio and video length on the timeline
Fixed an issue with captions being always displayed if produced when in the captions tab
Fixed an issue with the iPad production preset not producing at the correct dimensions
Fixed an issue when using ftp:// in a hotspot would not work when producing and sharing to Screencast.com
Fixed an issue with captions moving on the timeline when zooming in on the timeline view
Fixed an issue where the PIP would not be included when producing to the iPad preset
Fixed an issue that could cause ʺrtfʺ to be displayed in productions that have captions and that are also used in Camtasia Theater
Addressed an issue that could cause projects with many callouts to not produce or crash Camtasia Studio
Fixed an issue with Keystroke Callouts not working properly when the product language version doesn't match with the keyboard input language
Fixed an issue that could cause callouts to mistakenly rotate after resizing them
Fixed an issue that could cause the cursor to disappear after creating a cursor keyframe
Fixed an issue that would cause playback to not work when double-byte characters are used with ʺoverlay controlsʺ output in non-IE browsers
Fixed an issue that would cause projects from Camtasia Studio 5.0 or earlier with PPT camrecs with audio to display a waveform but not have any audio
Modified the default state of the ʺUse manual noise selectionʺ option in the Advanced area of the Audio tab
Fixed an issue that could cause captions to not be shown in the preview window after cutting and then pasting it on the timeline as well as when exiting the caption view
Adjusted the default state of the manual noise removal button to better show the intended behavior when using the noise removal feature
Fixed some preview problems with projects containing clip speed effects being upgraded from earlier versions of Camtasia Studio
Fixed an issue that could cause users to see a table of contents when producing to Screencast.com even when no table of contents is present in the production
Improved the Upload to YouTube reliability
Fixed an issue with the non-functioning feature of launching in a new browser window behavior with hotspots
Addressed a cross site scripting security issue in produced SWF files
Added an option to have the entire recording area shown by a rectangle instead of just defining the corners
Fixed an error message that would reference a menu option that is not
available in the Recorder application
Adjusted the ability to begin playback by clicking on the first item in the TOC
12 October 2010: Camtasia Studio v7.1.0
* Added the ability to have your content searchable when produced and uploaded to Screencast.com including screen text from PowerPoint, Caption text or Table of Contents text
* Added improved support for files coming from Camtasia Relay
* Added TUDI (TechSmith User Design Initiative) functionality
* Added support to the TSCC video codec for 64-bit operating systems
* Added the ability to import and export caption files including SRT, SMI formats
* Added automatic captioning capability with speech to text ability
* Updated the capabilities of captions to function more like callouts
* Improved the manual caption workflow to allow sequentially appended captions
* Improved the callout and caption interaction so that callouts will no longer block captions in produced video
* Added the ability to customize the font size, color and type within captioning as well as the background color and basic text editing capabilities
* Improved and fixed many items related to adjusting clip speed on the timeline
* Added a new Flash controller in production options
* Updated the Flash options page for Flash format productions
* Added a new iPad production and editing preset
* Addressed some memory leaks that could cause Camtasia Studio to become unresponsive or crash
* Addressed an issue that could cause projects with many callouts to not produce or crash Camtasia Studio
* Fixed an issue with Keystroke Callouts not working properly when the product language version doesn't match with the keyboard input language
* Fixed an issue with large MP4 files creating a blank thumbnail in the clip bin and a "No codec" error when added to timeline
* Fixed an issue that could cause a Table of Contents error when uploading to Screencast.com even when no Table of Contents is used
* Fixed an issue that could cause Camtasia Studio to crash when signing into YouTube.com through the production wizard and no Internet connection is available
* Fixed an issue with batch production of camrec files with system audio to MP4 could result in no audio in produced file
* Addressed an issue that could cause video artifacting when producing to the MOV format with the EnSharpen video codec
* Addressed an issue that would cause markers for PPT slides to be a few frames later than they should be on the timeline
* Fixed an issue that could cause the transparency setting for callouts to be reset incorrectly between projects
* Fixed an issue that could cause Camtasia Recorder to crash when stopping the recording
* Fixed an issue that could cause an incorrect "Not enough disk space" error message in Recorder when starting the recording process
* Addressed an issue that could cause a cursor to not get recorded when choosing to record to the AVI file format instead of a camrec file
* Added the Hide Recorder command line option back into Recorder
6 July 2010: Camtasia Studio v7.0.1
* Fixed an issue that would cause the silent uninstall option to hang at the point of uninstalling the Library
* Fixed an issue that would cause an Error: "The procedure entry pointCamSetAudioLoopback could not be located message during installation
* Added links in the Help file to related videos hosted on Screencast.com
* Added links in the Help file to related PDF documents hosted on Screencast.com
* Updated the Get help with Camtasia Studio 7 help page
* Fixed an issue with the background color selected during production not showing up properly in the produced output
* Fixed an issue that would cause different results in Voice Narration from audio track 1 to audio track 2
* Fixed an issue with shorter duration recordings with the same name that could cause a corrupt .camproj file
* Fixed an issue that would cause a Produce Selection As... action to not have correct Table of Contents locations in the produced video
* Fixed an issue that would cause premature ending of clips when using the split at markers option and producing to the FLV file format
* Fixed an issue that would cause productions to Screencast.com to have incorrect dimensions
* Fixed an issue that could cause productions to fail before completion or cause Camtasia Studio to crash during production
* Fixed an issue that would cause problems with Cursor Effects sound effects and multiple files based on markers in production
* Fixed an issue with Cursor Effects that would cause strange artifacts in the user interface or cause Camtasia Studio to crash
* Fixed an issue that would cause the cursor to be out of sync with the video when using the Clip Speed effect
* Fixed an issue that would cause an incorrect cursor to be displayed when using a color depth setting lower than 32-bit
* Fixed an issue that could cause a "No Codec" error message when some DirectShow filters are not properly registered on the system
* Fixed an issue that could cause a clip to be moved on the timeline when selecting multiple clips with the shift key
* Fixed an issue that could cause audio clips to overlap on the timeline when adjusting the duration of a title clip
* Fixed an issue that could cause the audio playback to not properly show the correct timeline information from the Voice Narration view
* Fixed an issue in batch production that would indicate that files do not have audio even though they do
* Improved some error messaging about unnecessary characters when uploading to Screencast.com during production
* Fixed an issue that would cause produced file sizes to be larger in version 7 than they were in previous versions when using the MP4 file format
* Fixed an issue that would cause non-admin users get a No Codec error when using MP3 files from the Library
* Fixed an issue that would cause projects with many callouts to fail during production
* Fixed an issue that would cause the incorrect help topic to be displayed for the hotkeys and program options in the Tools window
* Fixed an issue that would cause Camtasia Recorder to crash when stopping a recording
* Fixed an issue that would cause a Resource Allocation Failed message
* Fixed an issue that would cause an Audio file open failed message when ending a recording
30 March 2010: Camtasia Studio v7.0.0
* Added support for some Windows 7 features
* Updated tool tips and messages within the application with more informative information
* Added the Library and included some Library assets provided by DigitalJuice
* Added Cursor Effects
* Added Sketch Motion callouts
* Added some new callout shapes
* Added the ability to rotate callouts to any angle
* Added Keystroke Callouts
* Updated the workflow when producing to Screencast.com through the Production Wizard
* Added the ability to copy and paste items on the timeline
* Removed the Task List and replaced it with tabs for each feature area removing the “OK” and “Cancel” options on each feature area view
* Modified the Project Settings window with more descriptive options
* Modified the SmartFocus option to allow the option to be applied to a single clip or the entire timeline
* Updated SmartFocus to have more accuracy when creating a zoom or pan keyframe
* Added the ability to adjust audio levels directly on the timeline
* Improved the ability to record system audio on many computers
* Addressed an issue with Voice Narration being unavailable on some systems with Realtek audio hardware
* Added the ability to make more precise adjustments to audio on the timeline
* Added a Getting Started sample project
* Improved the handling of various source files, especially .MP4, that would give a “No codec available” message
* Improved the performance of the timeline after many cuts and edits were completed
* Changed the playhead and added a different way to set in and out points for editing and making selections on the timeline
* Improved the reliability of hotspots in a produced video
* Made some adjustments in the Title Clip view
* Added the ability to upload .MP4 files with the FTP option
* Addressed an issue that would cause a flicker to appear after adding a zoom and pan key frame and then creating a split in the video sometime after that keyframe
* Addressed an issue that would cause audio to be cut off or distorted in longer recordings
* Addressed an issue that would a “file has changed on disk” message to
* show when moving a project from one computer to another
* Addressed an issue with production settings not being remembered from production to production
* Addressed an issue that would cause the video to jump back a few
* frames when reaching the end of playback in the Flash format
* Addressed an issue that would cause audio enhancements to not be applied to .FLV format productions
* Improved memory handling to avoid the “Out of memory” error message when adding many items to the timeline
* Improved the “Go to frame” behavior of Flash hotspot formatted productions
* Made some UI adjustments to help indicate camera and microphone states
* Improved the recording efficiency to achieve higher frame rates
* Added a program task bar item while Recorder is recording
* Improved the post recording work flow to make it easier to edit a recording
* Fixed an issue with .camrec files recorded without audio would contain a blank audio clip
* Removed the Recovery.exe tool and added recording recovery directly into Camtasia Recorder
25 August 2009: v6.0.3 Maintenance Release
* Updated the End User License Agreement
* Added an additional component to allow productions from Camtasia for Mac to work on the Camtasia Studio Timeline.
* Fixed an issue that would cause some .MP4 files to not work properly on the Timeline on the Windows 7 operating system.
* Fixed an issue with .MP4 produced files so that they work better with QuickTime and also with Camtasia for Mac.
* Fixed an issue that would cause audio and video to become out of sync when placed on the PiP track.
* Fixed an issue with audio enhancements being ignored in projects that were created in previous versions of Camtasia Studio.
* Fixed an issue that could cause some MP4 produced files with title clips or images in them to look bad when played back in QuickTime.
* Fixed an issue that could cause Recorder to crash on start-up.
31 March 2009: v6.0.2 Maintenance Release
* Added back the ability to produce a .FLV file.
* Added the ability to set the keyframe interval for .FLV and .MP4 file productions.
* Fixed an issue that would cause .MP4 production settings to not be correctly utilized for productions using PIP video.
* Fixed an issue with dropping a transition over an existing transition causing a loss of sync between the Video 1 and PIP tracks.
* Fixed an issue that could cause quizzes to appear twice during the playback.
* Fixed an issue that would cause an audio/video sync issue for some recordings with both audio and video.
* Improved error handling.
* Improved the recording performance with applications with layered windows.
6 January 2009: v6.0.1 Maintenance Release
* Added the ability to include and edit .MP4 files on the timeline.
* Added the ability to include and edit TechSmith video .SWF files on the timeline.
* Added a short-cut key for a "Play from beginning" control in the Editor preview window.
* Added a Help menu option in Editor to allow online registration of the product after it has been purchased.
* Added the Audio Setup dialog into Camtasia Recorder.
* Added an option to change the key frame interval for MP4 productions.
* Added an option for changing from a bit rate encoding setting for MP4 to a quality encoding setting for MP4 productions.
* Fixed an issue where Zoom and Pan keyframes would not be carried across splits or extended frames when placed just before the split.
* Fixed an issue with undo requiring multiple steps to undo a single step when using a hotkey for transitions or callouts.
* Fixed an issue in Record Camera and Voice Narration where a blank frame would added.
* Fixed an issue in iTunes production settings where some settings would get reset at the wrong time.
* Fixed an crash that would be caused by producing to the .MP4 format with a 2 frame per second video setting.
* Fixed an issue where a first frame file was being generated when it should not be.
* Fixed an issue where the preview window in Editor would not correctly display the project dimensions when switching between projects.
* Fixed an issue where the produce project location would update to be the same as a zipped project location after the project was exported.
* Fixed an issue with auto-save not working when moving a project from Windows XP to Windows Vista or from Windows Vista to Windows XP.
* Fixed an issue where audio production options would be available although there was no audio on the timeline.
* Fixed an issue that would cause an inaccurate message to appear when cancelling production while producing to the .MP4 file format.
* Fixed an issue that would cause the playback in the preview window to stop or start playing when toggling the Shrink TO Fit setting.
* Fixed an issue that would cause the Screencast.com plug-in to not allow a different log in to be used during the production process.
* Removed the verification field for e-mail address from the Screencast.com log in process.
* Added the system tray icon to be displayed during the upload process to Screencast.com.
* Fixed an issue when choosing a single video with TOC template would cause callouts not to be shown in the produced video.
* Fixed some indexing issues in the AVI file format that could cause unexpected editing results, incomplete productions or corrupt projects.
* Fixed a crash that could occur when entering a very large duration for Title Clips.
* Fixed an issue that would cause PiP clips to be placed at the start of the timeline instead of where it was supposed to be placed.
* Fixed an issue that was causing the first frame to not be displayed correctly on Screencast.com.
* Fixed an issue that would cause the last folder used would not be recalled and used correctly when uploading to Screencast.com.
* Fixed an issue that would cause cuts on the timeline to not behave as expected.
* Fixed an issue that would cause the preview window title to not update correctly after multiple undo steps.
* Fixed an issue that would cause the audio clips to stop responding to move commands on the timeline.
* Fixed an issue that would cause the Upload to FTP feature to not work as expected.
* Fixed an issue when making certain selections on the timeline would not respond correctly when trying to zoom in on the timeline view.
* Fixed an issue with the option to "Auto-extend last video frame" would not be properly enabled.
* Fixed an issue with an incorrect video frame being displayed after adding a clip to the timeline.
* Fixed an issue that would cause a crash when choosing to change the production dimensions when using the MP4/SWF format.
* Fixed some program crashes that were related to some conflicting files from other software vendors.
* Fixed an issue that would cause callouts to be placed in the improper locations in a produced file.
* Fixed an issue where you would receive an out of date .camproj file when recording from the PPT Add-in.
* Fixed an issue with the Minimize to system tray setting did not react to the user setting.
* Fixed an issue where the ALT+SPACE+N shortcut would not minimize the Recorder application.
* Added the functionality of the Effects tool bar opening when using the ScreenDraw hotkeys.
* Fixed an issue with some Recorder effects not being able to be turned on while recording.
* Added an option to change whether a video is added to the timeline and clip bin when choosing to edit after recording.
* Fixed an issue with the Capture, Tools and Help menus being truncated when the Recorder is placed above the selected area during recording.
* Added some text for when the mouse is hovered over the Recorder system tray icon.
* Fixed an issue where the Tools > Options menu in Recorder would not update correctly based on the system dpi setting.
* Fixed an issue with the recorder UI repositioning unexpectedly when recording Microsoft Excel.
* Fixed an issue where Recorder would not properly record applications when the preview window is undocked.
* Fixed an issue that would cause the record settings to not be retained between instances of Recorder.
Camtasia Studio 6 will slash your editing time, provide more editing control, and make you look great with HD-quality video.
Watch the What's New Video
Product Tour How does the software work and what can it do? Take the tour. How It's Used Camtasia Studio is used by millions. See stories & videos. Accessories Free templates and related applications. View downloads. Getting Started Free video tutorials and illustrated guides. Get started faster. Camtasia Relay Need screen recording for the whole team?
All dazzle. No hassle.
HD-quality video for the web
Produce videos for the web using the industry-leading H.264 format. [?] All the presets for web destinations default to an MP4 format that consists of an MPEG-4 AVC (H.264 AAC) file coupled with a Flash player. That means you get HD-quality; the smallest file size possible; and ubiquitous playback, on any platform, within any Flash-enabled browser. No tweaks or technospeak, just sparkling HD-quality video with compact file sizes...every single time. Two existing production presets (blog and web) and three new presets (YouTube, HD display, and Screencast.com) take advantage of the new format.
I used to spend hours showing my students how to get small videos that retained their high quality. Now Camtasia Studio 6 does this automatically—right out of the box! –Chris Austin, MasteringCamtasia.com
Independent audio & video editing
When recording audio and video at the same time, it's hard to be perfect. So we've made it easier to fix mistakes. Simply decouple the audio and video tracks to edit them independently. And move audio clips between (and along) tracks to line everything up perfectly. Bottom line: fewer retakes and less time spent on editing.
Take a shortcut
Reduce editing time on large projects by 30% or more [?] Based on studies conducted by the TechSmith user experience department. with seven customizable hotkeys. Want to add a callout to the current spot on the timeline? Just tap C on your keyboard. Need a transition? Hit T. The same goes for caption, zoom, marker, split, and extend frame. Become a lean, mean editing machine...and free up hours of your time.
The editor enhancements will definitely save you time (and money). –Ute Simon, Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
Use video from more sources
Edit MOV files
Got an .MOV video file from a digital camera or a previous project? Bring it into Camtasia Studio and edit it on the timeline. Any self-contained .MOV file is fair game.
Get some perspective
3D tilt effect
Apply the new tilt effect to your videos and they'll really pop! By bringing some things closer to the viewer and putting other things in the background, you'll not only grab attention...you'll also direct it effectively.
WOW. Tilt is really a great effect to move us from two dimensions to life-like three dimensions. Really adds depth to my videos. – Bob Chambers, president, FrontierGold Corporation
Nail your timing
Finer control over effects
Control the duration of transitions and callout fades with ultimate precision...right down to a tenth of a second. Perfect timing is a beautiful thing.
Web sharing made easy
We created Screencast.com to make it dead simple to get videos from Camtasia Studio to the web. With the new Screencast.com preset, you can now direct content into the sharing folder of your choice. Don't have a Screencast.com account? We'll give you one free! (2GB storage; 2GB monthly bandwidth; never expires.)
I LOVE the new recorder. It's simple, efficient, and puts all the options in one window. –Aanarav Sareen, screencaster
Get a jump on recording
The new Camtasia Recorder remembers the dimensions and locations of your last recording, so you can start your next one faster…and stay consistent. We've also added a convenient full-screen recording button. And there's an option to launch Camtasia Recorder at startup, so you can record an impromptu screencast–anytime!–with a touch of the F9 key.
15 April 2008: Camtasia Studio 5.1.0
* Added a production option for Apple's iPod Touch/iPhone devices.
* Added the ability to zoom in/out on the timeline using CTRL + mouse-wheel when editing.
* Added an option for producing to ExpressShow for FLV files.
* Updated the minimum version of QuickTime requirement to be version 7.2.0 or later.
* Modified the workflow of adding and working with Callouts.
* Added an enhanced shading option for callouts.
* Addressed an issue that would cause some users to get a Flash install error when installing the product on Windows Vista.
* Updated the QuickTime MOV defaults to use H.264 + AAC
* Updated and modified the Camtasia Theater application for improved workflow and options.
* Added the ability to have an Audio 3 track on the timeline.
* Added the ability to edit Camtasia Relay content if the Camtasia Relay Client Recorder is installed on the system.
* Added a Highlighter callout as an option.
* Added a Spotlight callout as an option.
* Fixed an issue that would show an error message when recording to AVI and pausing the recording.
* Fixed an issue that would cause the Recorder UI to be the wrong size when restoring from a minimized state from the task bar.
* Fixed an issue when resizing the timeline in a secondary monitor would show strange results.
* Fixed an issue where users were able to switch to storyboard view while in the Record Camera view.
* Fixed an issue that would cause the "Fast Start" option to not work when producing to the Apple QuickTime MOV format.
* Fixed an issue that would cause the aspect ratio settings to be affected when using the floating TOC option with an ExpressShow production template.
* Fixed an issue when producing and selecting the "Include PPT File" option with Office 2007 would cause the file to not work properly if uploaded to Screencast.com.
* Added a warning message when producing with the Blog production preset and you have a non-side-by-side PiP video on the timeline.
* Fixed an issue with producing using the Blog production preset and having a quiz on the timeline would create a cropped quiz.
* Updated the recording preset sizes to include 720x576 for support of PAL video standards.
* Fixed an issue where Hotspots would not work as expected when producing with an ExpressShow template.
* Fixed an issue where the second of two identical .camrec files on the timeline would not show video for the second file.
* Fixed an issue with the Quiz/Survey Reporting button not being available when producing with an ExpressShow template.
* Fixed an issue where Web Production presets would not allow overlaid captions and closed captions.
* Fixed a crash that would be caused when producing a Flash SWF format using 44.100kHz, stereo, 128kBits/sec.
* Fixed a security hole where a cross-site scripting (XSS) attack would be possible with a malicious URL passed to controller.swf.
* Fixed an issue where FLV productions would not display the Answers Summary page as expected.
* Fixed an issue where the send email button would not work with ExpressShow if Flash Player version 9,0,115 is installed.
* Fixed a crash that could occur if you changed transitions on the timeline using the context menu.
* Fixed an issue that would cause a Flash produced video with quizzing to restart at the beginning after pausing for the quiz.
* Fixed an issue When producing to WMV and selecting iPod as an additional output, the resulting iPod video may be missing a video track.
* Implemented a change so Callouts are reliably added to the Timeline based on cursor position.
* Fixed an option if "Minimize to system tray during recording" is unchecked then the Recorder UI should always display.
* Fixed an issue when captions are selected to display and overlay, the preset does not produce the captions in overlay.
23 January 2008: v5.0.2 Maintenance Release
* Fixed a production crash that could occur at the end of production when producing to SWF with MP3 audio in version 5.0.1.
08 January 2008: v5.0.1 Maintenance Release
* Fixed an issue that could display "fatal error" during install on Windows Vista.
* Fixed an issue where the Audio VU meter was not working as it should with the Samson CO1U USB microphone.
* Fixed an issue that would cause audio to be recorded and not use the correct mono or stereo setting.
* Fixed a window focus issue with the main Recorder window.
* Added a new hotkey option for "Last Recording Area".
* Improved the method used to "Force popup dialogs into the recording area."
* Fixed an issue that would cause produced Flash SWF files with MP3 audio played in the the newest version of the Flash Player to sound garbled or have a high-pitched "chipmunk" sound to them.
* Fixed an issue that would cause Apple iPod produced files to fail when trying to transfer them to an iPod using Apple's iTunes with QuickTime 7.2 or later installed.
* Fixed an issue that would cause an iPod production created with the production presets to not upload to Screencast.com.
* Fixed an issue that was causing Screencast.com uploads to use the name of the .camproj file instead of the output video name.
* Fixed an issue that would cause non-HTML output to not upload to Screencast.com properly.
* Fixed an issue where the Flash TOC link during production preset creation would display the incorrect settings tab.
* Fixed an issue where teh custom TOC dimensions would not be remembered for an ExpressShow production.
* Fixed an issue with some Polish characters not working correctly in Callouts, Captions and Title Clips.
* Fixed an issue with old projects imported into version 5 would have garbled audio.
* Fixed an issue with double clicking on a zoom-n-pan keyframe on the timeline would cause the keyframe to go to full screen.
* Fixed an issue with some Flash playback media not beginning playback on initial load in the browser.
* Fixed an issue with long .camrec files failing to produce and causing Camtasia Studio to lock up.
* Fixed an issue with F1 not launching help within the Production Preview Manager.
* Fixed an issue that was causing the PiP opacity slider to not respond properly when using a mouse scroll wheel.
* Fixed an issue that would cause a watermark to appear in the preview window after cancelling a production.
* Fixed an issue thatouwould cause custom callouts to not be imported correctly when importing a zipped project with custom callouts.
* Fixed an issue that would cause FTP profiles to disappear if production was cancelled.
* Fixed an issue with custom callout names getting messed up when selecting and deselecting items in the custom callout manager on Windows Vista.
* Fixed an issue that would cause the production wizard to act strangely when producing over a one hour WAV file.
* Fixed an issue in Voice Narration with timeline audio becoming silenced incorrectly.
* Fixed an issue that would cause callouts to become fixed in size in certain combinations of callout and captions use as well as scaling the timeline.
* Fixed an issue that would cause Hotspots to not work as expected when used in ExpressShow productions.
* Fixed an issue in Title Clips that would cause the green resize rectangle to disappear after adding a video to the timeline.
* Fixed an issue that would cause FLV productions created with Split at Markers to not seek properly during playback.
* Fixed an issue that was causing zoom keyframes to not be placed on the timeleine after extending a frame in a zoomed clip.
* Fixed a crash that would occurr when trying to open a PNG file in Audio Editor.
* Added an option to turn off/on the ability to record layered windows with the PowerPoint Add-in.
* Fixed an issue where the video controls would be obscured by the scroll bar in the produced video.
New in Camtasia Studio 5
Streamlined recorder for swifter capture
The streamlined Camtasia Recorder makes selecting an area to record both fast and easy. There's just one button, no confusing choices. And the clever, new crosshairs makes it child's play to select a region, object, window, or the whole screen.
SmartFocus: freedom to capture now, decide later
Mini Cooper demoDon't worry about the final product, just relax and record your whole screen. Camtasia SmartFocus keeps track of where the action happens during your recording. It automatically creates editable zoom-n-pan points that keep the important parts visible with razor-sharp clarity...even if you produce the video for iPod-sized screens. Fully automatic, very freeing. You've never seen anything like this.
ExpressShow: sleek Flash + simpler sharing
Kiss supporting files goodbye. TechSmith ExpressShow creates a single, beautiful Flash SWF file that can be easily embedded into any Web site, blog, or multimedia project. With a glossy thumbnail image, full-screen playback option, and floating table of contents, this is Flash video that makes you look good. Very good.
Predictable, surgically precise editing
Predictable, surgically precise editingCamtasia Studio 5 projects are now edited at 30 frames per second. With more frames to choose from, it’s easier to cut—and keep—precisely what you want, and with greater project stability.
Easy output for bloggers
Camtasia Studio 5 lets bloggers record and publish to Screencast.com, and blog about it in minutes. Or using the built-in FTP support, moving videos to your own server can be just as painless.
An experience you can count on
Now with Project Settings and an accurate preview, you can edit your video and see exactly what it will look like before you produce it. And the new AutoSave protects your edits in the event of a crash.
18 July 2007: v4.0.2 Maintenance Release
* Fixed a crash during the initialization of the Screencast.com plug-in which prevents the automatic updating of the plug-in on some systems.
* Improved detection of sound cards capable of recording speaker audio.
* Fixed an issue where side-by-side PIP may stop playing unexpectedly.
* Fixed a timeline update issue which could cause project corruption when transitions were used on the timeline.
* Fixed a problem on Vista where a CAMREC on the timeline may report a framerate of 0fps.
17 October 2006: Camtasia Studio 4.0.0
* Camtasia Studio now uses the Microsoft .MSI install package
* Added the ability to extract .camrec file contents from the right-click context menu in the Windows Explorer.
* Added the ability have Camtasia Player show up as an option in the "Open With" context menu in the Windows Explorer.
* Added the option to the installation to have the Adobe Flash ActiveX control installed if it is not detected.
* Added the installation of the LAME mp3 codec as part of the program installation.
* Allowed the ability to install Camtasia Studio 4.0 on a system without overwriting an earlier version of Camtasia Studio already installed.
* Made audio recording input more consistent across the applications of Camtasia Studio.
* Implemented a check and fix for unregistered DirectShow filters on launch of Camtasia Studio.
* Added an "Audio Setup Wizard" to all places where audio can be set-up.
* Updated the main UI of Recorder to make the recording settings more accessible.
* Fixed problem with recording volume not being maintained from one recording session to another.
* Updated an error message when using ">" characters in a saved file name.
* Added a new Windows Media profile to the Advanced path through the production wizard.
* Added integration to Screencast.com at the end of production.
* Added the ability to have the Flash Player installation link show on the included produced HTML wrapper for Flash productions.
* Fixed problem of incorrect information being shown when using a custom production profile.
* Included some "factory installed" custom production profiles for popular production paths.
* Changed the default "Percent of main movie to preload" setting to be lower than 50%.
* Fixed problem where using relative paths on the last page of the production wizard would prevent productions.
* Fixed problem where using the callout "Keep aspect ratio" setting would cause incorrect scaling.
* In the Title Clip and Callout views, made the text color chooser more friendly.
* Fixed an issue where mp3 audio would lag the video by several seconds in produced Flash SWF files.
* Improved the Caption efficiency when working with very long videos.
* Added a "Click here to begin recording" tip in Camtasia Recorder.
* Added the ability to "Save Audio As..." an mp3 from the File menu.
* Fixed a silent crash when attempting MOV productions with QuickTime 5 installed.
* Added a yes/no option to choose whether PPT slide notes are imported as captions when coming from a recording using the PPT Add-in.
* Fixed problem when dragging callouts to "higher" tracks would not change the z-order.
* Added the ability to allow a selection in Zoom and Callout list views.
* Added the ability to drag a zoom-n-pan point on the timeline.
* Added the ability to produce an .MP3 and/or .M4V file during production.
* Improved the waveform drawing time when coming from PPT using the PPT Add-in.
* Added the ability to allow selections on the timeline to be maintained and modified when in the Modify PiP view.
* Added the option for the timeline to "Zoom to maximum" in the View menu.
* Fixed problem with unexpected behavior when using Undo in the Zoom-n-Pan view.
* Added ability to have a frame automatically extend while performing Voice Narrations.
* Added an Apple iPod production option.
* Fixed an issue with the last custom Zoom-n-Pan point was not retained.
* Fixed problem where options in Voice Narration would be incorrectly disabled.
* Added the option to "Size Callout to text" in the Callouts view.
* Fixed problem with Captions may be added at a random spot on the timeline.
* Added support for Flash SWF audio at 44100hz.
* Added support for allowing a "Split" during a callout on the timeline.
* Fixed a tab focus issue on the timeline.
* Fixed repaint issue when switching from Storyboard to Timeline.
* Added support for saving custom production profiles in the file system instead of the registry. This allows ease of sharing the profiles.
* Fixed <Shift + F10> not bringing up the context menu.
* Added real time preview of Flash controller options in the Flash Sizing dialog.
* Added ability to produce only current selection on the timeline.
* Fixed output sizing problems when PiP video was bigger than video on track 1.
* Added ability to automatically number TOC items.
* Fixed some productions not retaining some settings when using Legacy SWF output template.
* Removed option to "Save video rendered to this point?" option for MOV productions.
* Added new metadata dialog for Project Properties.
* Reorganized and simplified first page of the Production Wizard.
* Allow producers to target specific versions of the Flash Player.
* Added button to "Remove Selected" in Batch Production.
* Fixed issue with "Match loading movie size to main movie size" for preloaders.
* Fixed issue with TOC items in multi-file Flash productions would not auto highlight during playback.
* Added "Remove Unused Clips" to Clip Bin context menu.
* Fixed files being left behind when cancelling a Flash production.
* Fixed Marker names with apostrophe turning into double quotes in the produced output.
* Added a new Blur Callout.
* Fixed file type not working properly in File > Save Frame As....
* Updated Timeline context menus with appropriate options.
* Fixed changes in Flash Audio tab not enabling the Apply button.
* Added option to preview production settings and a way to manage those previewed productions.
* Fixed problem with Legacy SWF productions not remembering controls settings from production to production.
* Fixed problem with having two "." at the end of a project name resulting in Internet Explorer error.
* Improved folder creation in batch production of Flash SWF files.
* Fixed problem with WMV/AVI multi-file productions with a TOC would not highlight TOC items appropriately.
* Added user controlled "Closed Caption" option to Flash productions with captions.
* Fixed problem with Title Clips not being exported with a project.
* Fixed problem using "%" in produced FLV files would result in FLV productions not working.
* Improved default numbering of callouts.
* Fixed problem of audio information not being present in Production Results page for Flash productions.
* Consolidated production progress status bars for all production types.
* Fixed problem with elapsed time display for Flash productions when duration is over 1 hour.
* Fixed problem with Flash Hot Spot at the beginning of the timeline not working in produced Flash SWF.
* Fixed problem with Flash Hot Spot at end of timeline could cut off last 0.5 seconds of produced video.
* Added option to show Marker Name dialog automatically when adding markers.
* Fixed problem with audio control always showing in productions with no audio.
* Changed Flash file size info to show in MB instead of KB.
* Fixed problem with an endless loop when going through the Recommend My Settings option in production and modifying the settings.
* Fixed issue of unnecessarily scaling down videos in Flash productions.
* Fixed problem with using Title Clips in Batch Production.
* Changed the Legacy SWF production template to not include the controller by default.
* Fixed display issue in Info box for Flash SWF/FLV productions.
* Fixed problem with incorrect Flash template being selected when modifying a "Web" production.
* Fixed the background color option not showing in Flash templates.
* Fixed problem with marking an in point would remove a callout.
* Added warning message that side-by-side production is not allowed with non-flash productions.
* Fixed tab order issues in Title Clip view.
* Fixed problem of not being able to drag a Title Clip to the timeline.
* Added message to disallow Flash productions with a TOC that are too small.
* Added ability to split productions based on Markers for Flash output.
* Added support for custom TOC width for Flash productions.
* Fixed problem with audio cutting out early in Flash productions.
* Improved Flash end frame actions.
* Added ability to drag exported .zip project files to be added to the clip bin from Windows Explorer.
* Modified the Quiz answers to not be saved in the Flash Player cache.
* Added the ability to have survey type questions in the Flash Quiz which are not scored as part of the overall quiz.
* Fixed potential crash when undoing an action while editing an answer during the creation of a quiz.
* Fixed quizzes not including scores in e-mailed results.
* Added a Help button to the PPT Add-in toolbar.
* Added an option to ask to continue recording when the PPT presentation ends.
* Added a link to the Task List to access the PPT Add-in.
* Added a balloon tip indicating to start PPT recording by clicking the record button in the PPT Add-in.
* Added a "PPT Help Guide" as a default PPT presentation for first time users of the PPT Add-in.
* Added a VU meter to the "Recording Paused" window in the PPT Add-in.
* Fixed problem with audio devices not muting correctly when switching in the PPT Add-in.
* Modified the Web cam preview to toggle to record the camera when the preview window is selected to be shown.
* Fixed problem with flashobject.js file not being included with MenuMaker created menus.
* Added ability to customize the TOC width in the main UI.
* Added ability to re-order list items by dragging and dropping prior to menu creation.
v3.1.2 Maintenance Release
* Fixed an issue for Flash output where the current playing clip highlight in the TOC would not update correctly when producing multiple files based on markers.
* Fixed an issue where SCORM 1.2 output was not correctly communicating and reporting status with an LMS.
* Fixed an issue that would cause the space bar to be tracked as a play command when filling out a Flash quiz during produced playback.
* Fixed an issue when selecting pause at start for Flash production and not using a preloader would not pause.
* Fixed an issue that would cause some Flash produced files to require a browser refresh before they would properly play back.
New in Camtasia Studio 3.1.1
More Options for Customization and Compatibility
The latest version of Camtasia Studio includes several features that make it easier than ever to customize and share your videos and presentations, including:
* Option to Split Long Timelines into Multiple Movies
* Support for SCORM 2004
* More Flash Playback Bars
* XHTML-Compliant Production Files
Past versions of Camtasia have had a serious problem with recording audio, indeed attempts to record audio in a video clip have proved impossible. This version is no exception. If you merely wish to record activity on your screen without audio then this is easy to use but if you want audio I would suggest Total Screen Recorder, which works straight out of the box. Camtasia is grossly overpriced at US#299.
NEW SOFTWARE= New tool since your last visit
NEW VERSION= New version since your last visit
NEW COMMENTS= New comments since your last visit
Type and download NO MORE UPDATES? = The software hasn't been updated in over 2 years. NO LONGER DEVELOPED = The software hasn't been updated in over 3 years.
RECENTLY UPDATED = The software has been updated the last 31 days. Freeware = Free software. Free software = Free software and also open source code. Freeware/Adware = Free software but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Free software/Adware = Free software and open source code but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Trialware = Also called shareware or demo. Trial version available for download and testing with usually a time limit or limited functions. Payware = No demo or trial available.
v1.0.1 = Latest version available.
Download beta = It could be a BETA, RC(Release Candidate) and even a ALPHA version of the software.
Download (direct link) = A direct link to the software download.
Download (developer's site) = A link to the software developer site.
Download (mirror link) = A mirror link to the software download. It may not contain the latest versions.
Download old versions = Free downloads of previous versions of the program.
Download 64 bit version = If you have a 64bit operating system you can download this version.
Download portable version = No installation is required, just extract the files to a folder and run directly.
= Windows version available.
= Mac OS version available.
= Linux version available.
Our hosted tools are virus and malware scanned with several antivirus programs using www.virustotal.com.