winLAME is an encoder for several audio formats, including mp3 (MPEG Layer 3), Ogg Vorbis and more. winLAME lets you set up the encoding process with an easy-to-use wizard-style user interface. winLAME supports many input audio formats, and uses the LAME mp3 encoding library for encoding and the MAD decoding library for decoding. Easy-to-use wizard-like user interface style for easy encoding setup. CD Audio extraction (aka. CD ripping), including freedb support. Batch Processing. mp3, ogg, aac, wma and flac encoding.
A new version of winLAME was released, mainly a bugfix released. The following bugs were fixed:
* Fixed renaming output files from temporary file to final file.
* Fixed lockup when writing an output file is skipped, and the next file is about to be written.
* Fixed version check for libFLAC.dll; only version up to 1.1.2 are supported currently (porting winLAME to the API changes would be welcomed!)
2010-01-12 - winLAME 2010 beta 1 released
Since we're in 2010 now, I released winLAME with the new year name. The following changes were made:
* Fixed bug where encoding a file contained in a path containing non-ASCII characters would give an error.
* Upgraded LAME to 3.89.2, compiled with Intels ICL compiler
* Other small bug fixes
2009-11-17 - Installer fixes for winLAME 2009 beta 2
After getting reports from some users about not being able to properly install winLAME 2009 beta 2, I re-released the installer today. The following bugs were fixed:
* After installing winLAME, the following error appeared: "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect."
* When trying to encode .wav files the error appeared: "Couldn't open input file (System error.)"
* When trying to encode to .wav format, the file could not be written, or the file ended up being created in the same folder as winLAME.exe, with the filename containing square symbol characters.
2009-11-02 - winLAME 2009 beta 2 released
This release fixes some bugs that appeared in beta 1:
* The about page showed a blank page.
* When a playlist was written, the playlist file only contained the last encoded file.
* When converting to Wave format, the comboboxes showed no drop-down list.
* Fixed a crash when reading an mp3 file that contained invalid ID3v2 tags
* Fixed crash when a freedb query for a CD returned multiple entries
* Fixed transferring genre field to encoded files
* Fixed reading and writing tags for WMA.
* Fixed installer that didn't install correct msvcr80.dll and msvcp80.dll
* Fixed bug where track numbers was always set to the same value and genre field was always set to "Blues"
* Fixed bug where the ID3v2 tag always contained a large length value
* Added a patch from Adam Kropelin that provides reading FLAC metadata when converting from FLAC files.
* Updated BASS and libsndfile libraries to latest versions
Release Name: winLAME-2009-beta1
In the last years I made some additions and changes to winLAME and fixed quite a few bugs.
I decided to occasionally release a new version with updated libraries and bug fixes when
I have time. Therefore winLAME got a new naming scheme. The year of release will be appended to
the version name, and there will be a beta, a release candidate and a full release version
for each version released.
Note that this beta 1 release is not intended for production use! It may contain bugs
that may reduce audio quality and prevent some features to be used. Testing is encouraged, though.
If you find a bug, describe and add it to the winLAME bugtracker on SourceForge.
Note: If you previously used custom presets using the presets.xml file, consult the help file
for changes according to presets.
If you're interested in translating the user interface of winLAME, please send me an E-Mail.
There's no money to be made, though, only eternal fame and glory :)
Here's an (incomplete) list of changes:
* Updated encoding/decoding libraries: LAME 3.98.2, libsndfile-1.0.19 (fixes security
vulnerability, see Secunia advisory SA33980), libvorbis 1.2.0
* Support for reading/writing ID3v2 tags from/to .mp3 files
* Translatable user interface (english and german, at the moment)
* Full Unicode support for filenames
* Numerous bug fixes (see the winLAME bugtracker)
Release Name: prerelease4
This is a bugfix release. The following bugs are fixed:
- crash when transcoding from mp3 to mp3
- encoding was auto-started when going back and forth after all files are ripped from cd
- fixed transferring track infos from CD audio to mp3 ID3v1 tags
- on encode page, when there are no more files to encode, go directly to "input" page on back button
winLAME feature list
winLAME has the following features:
* Encoding and decoding of many audio formats, including:
o .mp3 via LAME mp3 encoder (encoding) and MAD (decoding)
o .ogg Ogg Vorbis
o .aac via libsndfile
o .wma via Windows Media Audio codec
o .flac via FLAC library
* Uses LAME features, including:
o high quality and optimized mp3 encoding
o nogap encoding of continuous-mix-cd's
o optimized 3DNow! and SSE routines
o ID3 v1 and v2 tagging
* Easy-to-use wizard-like user interface style for easy encoding setup
* CD Audio extraction (aka. CD ripping), including freedb support
* Presets for fast settings setup
* User interface translations to english and german language
* Batch Processing
* Detailed HTML Help File
* Easy install- and uninstall process
* Small size
NEW SOFTWARE= New tool since your last visit
NEW VERSION= New version since your last visit
NEW COMMENT= New comment since your last visit
Type and download NO MORE UPDATES? = The software hasn't been updated in over 2 years. NO LONGER DEVELOPED = The software hasn't been updated in over 3 years.
RECENTLY UPDATED = The software has been updated the last 31 days. Freeware = Free software. Free software = Free software and also open source code. Freeware/Bundleware = Free software but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Free software/Bundleware = Free software and open source code but supported by advertising, usually with a included browser toolbar. It may be disabled when installing or after installation. Trialware = Also called shareware or demo. Trial version available for download and testing with usually a time limit or limited functions. Payware = No demo or trial available. Portable version = A portable/standalone version is available. No installation is required.
v1.0.1 = Latest version available.
Download beta = It could be a BETA, RC(Release Candidate) and even a ALPHA version of the software.
Download (direct link) = A direct link to the software download.
Download (developer's site) = A link to the software developer site.
Download (mirror link) = A mirror link to the software download. It may not contain the latest versions.
Download old versions = Free downloads of previous versions of the program.
Download 64-bit version = If you have a 64bit operating system you can download this version.
Download portable version = Portable/Standalone version meaning that no installation is required, just extract the files to a folder and run directly.
= Windows version available.
= Mac OS version available.
= Linux version available.
Our hosted tools are virus and malware scanned with several antivirus programs using www.virustotal.com.