IsoBuster 3.8 Released!
View full changelog
June 24, 2016
I'm sure you will appreciate this new version. Again, tons of new functionality, improvements and the few needed bug-fixes. Improvements for the visually impaired, clean new icons, support for *.vdi, *.vhd, *.vhdx files, 4Kn drives with native 4096 bytes per block, and so on. Best just check the huge list below:
Here's a list of what I have been working on:
Changes / New:
Overhaul of all visual aspects of the software to improve things for the visually impaired, for instance high contrast mode works optimally now
Overhaul of all visual aspects of the software to improve scaling (larger than default fonts - still with limits)
Overhaul of all visual aspects of the software to improve and fix Right-to-Left reading where appropriate
The use of 32 bit + Alpha channel icons throughout the software (Sorry Win2K users)
Load and use system icons when appropriate (e.g. Help, Information, Exclamation etc.)
Support for *.vhd Fixed, Dynamic and Differencing Virtual Disk Images
Support for *.vhdx Fixed, Dynamic and Differencing Virtual Disk Images
Support for *.vdi Fixed, Dynamic and Differencing Virtual Disk Images
Full support for 4Kn drives (drives with 4096 bytes per logical sector)
Browse back and forth between earlier made selections
Complete IBP/IBQ managed image files 'on demand' as sectors are required and read. Requires a [Professional] license
Show streams, attached to files or folders, via right mouse click selection
Show extents of folders, very much the same like on fragmented files
Show Hint text when hovering over Details, List and Small Icons buttons on the main form
Improved ancient annoyance where the StatusBar text/hint when hovering over a TreeNode or selecting a ListNode would disappear again immediately
IsoBuster gets focus again when selected via the task bar and when the properties window is showing
Improved the location of the right mouse click popup, so that it now appears more inline with what Windows does
Improved things so that both percent labels on the progress dialog get updated when 2 progress bars are showing
Ability to resize the device-selection combo-box in the top left corner and option to keep the combo-box and tree-view under it at the same width
Search dialog and Options/Settings dialog resizing by the user
Show Video icon next to "Extract but filter MPEG frames" where it is almost certainly appropriate and make the entry default (bold) to hopefully steer the user in the right direction
Improved the right mouse click popup on a properties window
Show red error icon next to building lists of erroneous sectors (single objects only, not folders)
Default saving disk fragments (From-To) and partitions etc. to file extension *.dsk instead of *.img for better loading support (*.img can also be optical)
Do not show the File/Folder Search option in case the folder has been expanded already and proves to be empty
Add Application and Version information in CUE file
When closing the tray, do not show an error message anymore when the error is illegal field in CDB (05/24/00) or related, because laptops etc. don't support closing and report this with an illegal field in CDB.
Don't even suggest to complete an IBP/IBQ file if there are no other devices other than the IBP/IBQ itself (e.g. no devices found or finding devices disabled and no other image files loaded)
Fomat large numbers with dots or commas (depending on Windows settings) on more locations
Dialogs that take addresses and sizes as input, now allow the input to be formatted with commas and dots
The breadcrumbs control uses the same icons as shown in the treeview control, based on settings
Seriously improved the look and feel of the breadcrumbs control for Windows XP and High Contrast mode
The about box has a fresh new look and hopefully helps with the confusion between PRO - [Personal] and [professional] licenses
"@open:" opens the Open Image file dialog, "@open:\c:\y\z\w.xyz" opens file: "c:\y\z\w.xyz"
Command: @show:\extents or @show:\streams or @show:\resourcefork
Added Ctrl+BackSpace shortcut to trigger the Breadcrumbs Edit function
Added Ctrl+Shift+Q shortcut to start the IBP/IBQ Manager -or- EWF Properties (depending on the image file that is loaded)
Added Ctrl+Shift+R shortcut to 'run' a file
Added F8 shortcut to bring up the Options/Settings dialog
Improve the workings of Ctrl+Shift+M to either create or complete an image file, making sure they don't conflict
Esc closes the From-To Dialog, the IBP/IBQ Manager, the About window, Properties and the file edit dialog
Improved building the previously opened image file's list and make sure a separator is not drawn as a thick line
Make sure there are tab characters between text and shortcut, in popup menus, to keep it all readable
Also support reverse reading when filling gaps
Also support reverse reading of tracks in their session (last track first)
Improved Buttons' height in Toolbar (Up, Details, List, Icons, ...)
Improvements in the navigation bar, support for '..', '\' etc.
Show "Extracting Name-of-?" instead of "Extracting CD" when extracting a non-optical disk to a folder containing its partitions
Auto-Save managed IBP/IBQ image file making every 5 / 10 minutes, depending
A few improvements, changes and re-writes in the core code / engine, as this is a living project and to deal with the ever growing new functionality
Various other, not listed, GUI improvements
Fixed improper updating of the *.IBP, Managed Image File, after the reverse reading feature had been used
Showing the previous search results, initiated via the search dialog did not work properly
Ctrl+C would not always work in other windows than the main window (e.g. Sector View), because the main window would 'steal' the input
Made changes to the breadcrumbs control, so that IsoBuster now runs on Windows 2000 (Win2K) again
Several improvements parsing NTFS to deal with illegal values, especially during a scan for missing or deleted files/folders, to avoid exception errors
Fixed an exception error when opening a CUE that points to multiple files but more than one of those files are not available
Fixed a serious and possible data corruption issue with NTFS for large + fragmented files, on extraction to HD or elsewhere, because the offset in the first block would be wrong
Fixed a data corruption issue with NTFS for files that fit in the $MFT records, but only on 4Kn drives, so drives that have 4096 bytes per block native and expose those blocks as such (so not 512e drives)
IsoBuster full feature list:
* Data recovery from all possible CD, DVD and Blu Ray (BD & HD DVD) formats :
CD-i, VCD, SVCD, SACD, CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-MRW, ... DVD-ROM, DVCD, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+MRW, DVD+R Dual Layer, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD+RW Dual Layer, DVD+VR, DVD+VRW, DVD-VR, DVD-VRW, DVD-VM, DVD-VFR, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-R DL, BD-RE, BD-RE DL, BD-R SRM, BD-R RRM, BD-R SRM+POW, BD-R SRM-POW, BDAV, BDMV HD DVD-ROM, HD DVD-R, HD DVD-R DL, HD DVD-RW, HD DVD-RW DL, HD DVD-RAM, HD DVD-Video, ... And the list continues ...
* All device access, media access, data gathering and interpretation is done exclusively by the software. It does not rely on Windows to provide or interpret the data and so can work completely independent from Windows' limitations.
* Better Error handling and several retry-mechanisms to aid you in getting the data anyway.
* The use of both generic and alternative ways to get to the data, get the best out of your CD/DVD-ROM drive.
* The use of primary and secondary file-systems to get to the data and/or make use of file system data that might be ignored or ‘forgotten’ by popular OS. Explore the alternatives.
* CDs stay 'readable' after problems (such as Buffer Under-run, ...)
* Read / Extraction from open sessions.
* All sessions, including older ones, are accessible and can be recovered.
* Supports mounting several virtual sessions inside a single DVD+RW or DVD-RW track
* Read and Extraction of files, CD/DVD images, tracks and sessions from all optical media.
* Scanning for lost UDF files and folders. More on UDF recovery.
* Scanning for lost ISO9660 / Joliet sessions.
* Scanning for files based on their file-signature
* Scanning for IFO / BUP / VOB file-systems on VIDEO and AUDIO DVDs
* Scanning for lost, deleted and orphaned FAT files and folders
* Find lost data on CDs, DVDs, BDs or HD DVDs, created with integrated drag and drop applications, otherwise also known as packet writing software. Optimized, but not exclusive, for :
Roxio Direct CD, Roxio Drag-to-Disc,
Ahead / Nero InCD,
Prassi / Veritas / Sonic DLA,
VOB / Pinnacle Instant-Write,
CeQuadrat Packet CD,
BHA B's CLiP,
Mircrosoft Windows XP and VISTA,
Sony abCD, ...
* Support for Direct CD compressed files. Decompression on the fly.
* Support for Microsoft's Live File system.
* Built in UDF Reader, UDF 1.02 (e.g DVDs), UDF 1.5 (e.g. Packet writing on CD-R, DVDR, CD-RW and DVDRW), UDF 2.01, 2.50, 2.60 (e.g. BD-R SRM+POW), ...
* Find lost pictures created and saved to CD or DVD with Sony Mavica, other digital cameras or other devices with embedded UDF write functionality.
* Find lost movies created and saved to CD,DVD, BD or HD DVD, with Hitachi, other digital cameras or other devices with embedded UDF write functionality.
* Auto find extensions based on file content to try and give an appropriate name to an orphaned file. This built in file identifier assigns the proper extension to the file so that Windows applications can open the file. Only needed for orphaned files without a name.
* Support for Mount Rainier CD-RW and DVD+RW discs in MRW compatible and non-MRW compatible drives. Auto detection and automatic remapping which can be switched off or forced at all times. Built in MRW remapper / reader. (Built in Method 3 remapper)
* Support for formatted CD-RW discs mounted in very old drives that do not know the CD-RW fixed packet format yet. Auto detection and automatic remapping which can be switched of or forced at all times. Built in Method 2 remapper.
* Built in HFS Reader, supporting HFS and HFS+, the Apple Mac file systems.
* Transparent built in support for Mac Resource Fork extensions in the ISO9660 File-System
* Transparent built in support for Mac Resource Fork extensions in the UDF File-System
* Supports multiple Mac Partitions on one medium (e.g. multiple partitions on a CD or in a dmg file)
* Includes a vast range of features for Mac files support on PC (HFS, ISO9660, UDF), including Mac Binary extraction of files.
* Recover data from blanked or quick formatted DVD+RW media.
* Mpg (*.dat) Extraction and dat2mpg 'in one' from SVCD and VCD
* Ability to create managed image files (*.IBP / *.IBQ).
* Enormous file system coverage and different ways to use them all (find the one suited best for your needs). CDs and DVDs often have different file-systems pointing to the same files. This offers possibilities.
* Rock Ridge (e.g. for Commodore users, Server use, etc.)
* HP SimpleSave support
* Full FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32 support (for instance on DVD-RAM or BD-RE)
* Finds VIDEO and AUDIO IFO / BUP / VOB file-systems independently from other file-systems
* Transparent support for (open) DVD+VR(W) discs, remapping of the content etc. Open +VR discs' files can be seen and extracted right away.
* Show (and allow to extract) the Nero project file if available on the optical disc
* Support for the CD-i file-system and the different behavior from drives trying to mount a CD-i disc.
* Information and file system properties (a must for FS developers)
* CD/DVD/HD DVD/BD Surface scan to see if there are physical read errors.
* Opens checksum files (*.md5) and automatically verifies the image with the checksum file.
* Check if all files and folders are readable without having to extract all data to HD.
* Single sector extraction. Extraction of CD/DVD/BD/HD DVD blocks (e.g. for engineering purposes)
* Sector Viewer. Check a sector's content in IsoBuster's editor and print or save to HD. Engineers and computer savvy people find missing data making use of Sector View.
* Compile (and edit, save, print) lists of all files that contain physical read errors.
* Compile lists of all files, including their Logical block address (ideal to find the logical play order for mp3 CDs)
* CD-Text support from CD and various image files ( *.PXI, *.CCD, *.B5T and *.CUE image files).
* Creation of image files (*.ibp and *.ibq,*.iso, *.bin, *.tao)
* Creation of checksum files (*.md5)
* Creation of cue sheet files (*.cue)
* Conversion of all supported image files to bin/cue files.
* Handles opening of multi-file image files.
* Extraction of Audio tracks to wave files.
* Play audio analogue. Instruct the drive to play the audio through the analogue output.
* Ability to pause a number of seconds between retries to allow the drive to "recover" (useful for older drives in combination with marginally readable media)
* Creation of multi-file image files or disc spanning to specified size
* Support for bootable CDs and DVDs. Support for the El Torito standard.
Perfect aid to slipstream Windows installation CDs
* Add, Edit, Delete files found based on their signatures.
* Show file extents. (Show the different parts of a file, when it is fragmented on disc)
* Ability to add/edit extents on custom created files (e.g. Lost and Found and Customizable file system)
* Ability to add a customizable file system (where you can add, edit files, for engineering purposes)
* Support for command line parameters
* Comprehensive help file (also available online)
On top of this, IsoBuster interprets CD image files, such as:
*.DAO (Duplicator), *.TAO (Duplicator), *.ISO (Nero, BlindRead, Creator), *.BIN (CDRWin), *.IMG (CloneCD), *.CCD (CloneCD) , *.CIF (Creator), *.FCD (Uncompressed), *.NRG (Nero), *.GCD (Prassi), *.P01 (Toast), *.C2D (WinOnCD), *.CUE (CDRWin), *.CDI (DiscJuggler), *.CD (CD-i OptImage), *.GI (Prassi PrimoDVD), *.PXI (PlexTools), *.MDS (Alcohol), *.MDF (Alcohol), *.VC4 (Virtual CD), *.000 (Virtual CD), *.B5T (BlindWrite), *.B5I (BlindWrite), *.DMG (Apple Macintosh), *.IBP (IsoBuster), *.IBQ (IsoBuster), *.NCD (NTI).