VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking at buying a dvd recorder/VCR combo with XViD playback, but I can't afford to spend much. I was hoping for US $150 or less counting shipping costs. I looked at a few of the models at a local department store, but most of them have bad reviews. Can anyone recommend a good unit for this? Most of my movie collection is XViDs recorded from cable and put on DVD-R. My TV is an old fashioned standard res. TV. I'd also like to back up my VHS collection to DVD to free up some space in my entertainment center.

I found a good deal on a Panasonic DMR-ES35V. I know it plays DivX, but I don't know if this model will playback XViDs. Does anyone know?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Divx and Xvid are very similar. If you use a Xvid encoded with the same settings as a Divx that works on your player, you should have no problems. Some converters like AutoGK can use either codec and output Divx player compatible output.

I copied this from a post about encoding settings that aren't usually compatible with most set top Divx players:

Originally Posted by jman98
    1) GMC (Global Motion Compensation). Some support it up to 1 warp point. Some don't support it at all. If it's used during encoding, it probably has 3 warp points and no standalone DVD player at this time appears to support that. Despite some claims to support it, I've seen reviews where 3 warp point GMC was tested and it always failed.
    2) QPel (Quarter Pixel)
    3) Packed bitstream.
    4) Resolutions greater than 720x576.
    5) Video bit rates higher than 2000 Kbps. With some Divx playback chips, if your audio is anything other than MP3, you may have to drop the video bit rate as low as 1400 Kbps or you may have audio playback problems.
    Also, VBR audio might cause problems with some players, as well. If your AVIs have any of the above, you might need to modify/recompress them before they'll play on your player.

BTW, just personal preference, but I wouldn't get a unit that has both a VHS player/recorder and a DVD recorder in the same unit. For one reason, Macrovision on VHS tapes will cause problems when backing up a tape and the mechanical part of the VHS player may fail long before the DVD recorder part.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Philips makes a dvd recorder with 80gig hd & plays divx but it's more than you want to spend. There are very few dvd recorders what play divx, so it's not like you have much choice. Plus, you could just get a dvd/divx player for a lot cheaper & then also have a dvd recorder. Dvd recorders these days come with hd tuners.
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders
    Quote Quote