VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    About 18 months ago, I bought a Sanyo DRW-500 and transferred most of my family's movies that were on videotape. They played well on that recorder. Of course, it failed and I had it factory repaired. It worked for a couple months then broke again (out of warrantee) I bought another brand of DVD player (Magnavox) To my horror, the DVDs I made on the Sanyo dont work on the new player or on my PC DVD ROM drive. I've looked around on other forums and it appears that the Sanyo did not finalize on DVD+R discs. I no longer have the videotapes and I'm heartsick over this. Is there a way I can possibly transfer from another player that will read these poorly made discs?
    Thanks for any suggestions! Ron
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You may need to try BRUTE FORCE and use ISOBuster to extract the video from the disc. ISOBuster is not free...and what it gives you IF it can accomplish it will most likely NOT be able to be burned back to another DVD without more knowledge and software.
    It's not THAT difficult but....be warned.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Aside from trial and error with other players, about your only option is to track down another player of the same model and use it to finalize your discs.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your Maggie has a "Make Recording Compatible" feature in its Recording menu for unfinalized discs made on another +VR recorder. It prob. only works if the disc can be read in the first place. Could try and see, tho?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's an excellent chance that Nero can finalize these disks on a PC.

If you did not take the step to finalize these disks, it's your mistake not a failing in the recorder.

I'd advise against doing anything other than finalizing to these disks unless you understand exactly what the equipment is doing. So don't try to use your Maggy to solve the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried to use nero, but my drive doesn't 'see' the disc. I've DL'd Isobuster and that will at least open the disc. But then i don't know which extraction to use, or what to do with the files. I extracted one disc and it gave me .tao files. Would I just burn that file onto a dvd, or use nero to try and finalize then burn. I truely appreciate your replies!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming the original files on the disc are also .tao files, then you should just be able burn them onto a new disc. It's quick and simple to try and see if it works.

Otherwise, there are many guides on using ISOBuster on the ISOBuster tool page: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ISOBuster
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote