VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I came across a description of the Toshiba RD-XS35 that I just had to share. It tells you in a nutshell (ok a large nutshell ) the great features of this machine:

Toshiba DVD Recorder that includes a 160g HDD, the RD-XS35. This was the last model designed by Toshiba that included the HDD. This model offers many features not included in any other recorder on the market.
    This recorder will record to DVD-R / DVD-RW and DVD-RAM. It will play these same formats along with +Rs. Unlike the newer (cheap recorders), this unit gives the user a full array of recording options, more than any other recorder. This recorder allows the user to create a bank of five recording modes, in addition to the standard SP / LP and SLP.

The unit allows the user to select the video and audio bitrates needed for recording. For instance, if the user wants to record the movie THE FUGITVE which runs 126 minutes. With many recorders that offer a two hour mode or a three or four hour mode, it does not fit. With the Toshiba, the user can pick a video bitrate of 4.4 mb/s (bits per second). This rate yields 127 minutes on a standard DVD-R or RW. The user can change the video bitrate from one hour to six hours of recording time about every five to ten minutes. The user can store five of these manual modes in a bank and can change any whenever they please.

From an audio standpoint, the Toshiba allows the user to select from PCM audio, which is CD quality, MP1 which is what most DVD recorders use and MP2 which devotes twice the rate for higher quality sound. The user can change these rates for any recording. This recorder will provide full DVD resolution (480 lines) for recordings up of 142 minutes on a standard disc. This would hold ID4 or any of the Star Wars films.

From an editing prospective, the Toshiba recorder gives the user the most HDD recording flexibility. If the user records an episode of CSI and does not want the commericials, that is not a problem. The remote has an insert chapter button and whenever the user wants to insert a chapter, all that is necessary is to press the button. This can be done on the fly as you are recording or can be done as an editing feature when the recording is complete. The user can simply surround the commercials with chapter marks and then erase the enclosed chapter, easy as pie. This same process can be used to remove excess footage from the begining or end of a recording. The user can join two or more recordings togather. When dubbing from HDD to disc, this can be done at high speed (4x) or the recorder can also do a bitrate change dub. This means the clip can be recorded to the HDD in a very high bitrate and then dub to disc in a rate that will fit on the disc. When a high speed dub is used, all the chapter marks will remain where they appeared on the HDD. If the unit wants a more simple way of inputing chapter marks in a HDD recording, the unit can add them automatically every 5/10 or 15 minutes. Those can be removed later if the user wishes before the clip is dubbed to disc.

The Toshiba unit offers the user the ability to create menus that included thumbnail images that are user selected from anywhere in the clip. The user can pick from six different backgounds for these thumbnails. The user can even determine how the menu plays. The user can have the menu come up first. The user can have each clip play one after another or can have the main menu come up after each title plays. No other recorder gives the user this type of professional control. The user can even select thumbnails images for each chapter. Most users will not utilize all these features, but it is sure nice to know that it is possible.

This unit is an incredible machine. The remote is very user friendly. This unit is the best of the Tosbiba recorders and with a 160g HDD, it gives about a hundred hours of recording time and tons of control to the user. The unit also comes TV Guide programing guide which is similar to Tivo but at no cost.

Ok the only thing I would disagree with is the user friendly part. The Toshiba RD-XS35 is NOT user friendly at all. It takes some time to figure it all out but things are logical with this unit and totally worth the trouble to learn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No mention of playlists? This is one of Toshiba's most valuable capabilities.

I consider my KX50 to be user friendly. Yes, there are a lot of menus and a lot of options, but greater flexibility requires more choices. The basic functions are quick and easy, and the more complex functions are at least logical and consistent and intuitive enough to be remembered. IMO, user friendly includes not needing to consult the manual time after time.
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There are a couple of things wrong in there. I don't know what speed the recorder does HDD to DVD dubbing but it's not 4x, I'd guess it's around 8x. It definitely doesn't take 15 minutes to burn an R disc.

As far as editing out the commercials like that says, at the very beginning of the editing part of the manual there's a few paragraphs titled "note on deleting unnecessary scenes" where they advise not to delete unwanted parts of video but to make playlists first then delete the original to keep the HDD from becoming fragmented.

I just got the recorder a week ago and am still learning all it can do, the recorder is truly amazing for PQ and functions/options. I haven't seen any way to delete specific parts of video yet. It may be there and I just haven't found it yet. I have the KX50 too so I'm not new to Toshiba HDD recorders. I don't remember a way to delete unwanted scenes on it either.

The one thing that's missing that every other recorder has is a way to stop a manually started recording automatically. If you manually start a recording and have to leave or something, there's no way to make the recording stop. It will record until it runs out of disc space or if recording to the HDD after 9 hours of recording.

The way the whole recording process is tied to the TVGOS sucks. It may be good for cable users but it sucks for satellite users.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    they advise not to delete unwanted parts of video but to make playlists first then delete the original to keep the HDD from becoming fragmented.
    A Playlist is only a list of original titles and chapters, not a copy. Any original that is used within a playlist must be kept in order to play the playlist. Deleting the original will destroy the playlist.

I have the KX50 too so I'm not new to Toshiba HDD recorders. I don't remember a way to delete unwanted scenes on it either.
    This is described on page 118 of the KX50 Operations manual. The "star" button on the remote switches between selecting titles and selecting chapters.

The one thing that's missing that every other recorder has is a way to stop a manually started recording automatically. If you manually start a recording and have to leave or something, there's no way to make the recording stop. It will record until it runs out of disc space or if recording to the HDD after 9 hours of recording.
    On the KX50, during recording, you can access the Quick Menu and set an end time. Not very convenient, but possible (page 37).

The way the whole recording process is tied to the TVGOS sucks. It may be good for cable users but it sucks for satellite users.
    One advantage of the KX50 (XS52) is that it does NOT have TVGOS but a more traditional VCR type of timer programming menu (including separate bitrates for each recording). Two additional side benefits of this is low power consumption and a fan that stops when the machine is "off".
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KeepItSimple
    Hi I came across a description of the Toshiba RD-XS35 that I just had to share. It tells you in a nutshell (ok a large nutshell ) the great features of this machine:
    Source?

Here's another write-up, this one on the RD-XS34, but most of it pertains to the RD-XS35 as well, plus it has a method to quiet the fan if you really want to: http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/xs34/index.html

Originally Posted by KeepItSimple
    No other recorder gives the user this type of professional control. [...] Most users will not utilize all these features, but it is sure nice to know that it is possible.
    I do!

Here are a couple of workarounds.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davideck
    they advise not to delete unwanted parts of video but to make playlists first then delete the original to keep the HDD from becoming fragmented.
    A Playlist is only a list of original titles and chapters, not a copy. Any original that is used within a playlist must be kept in order to play the playlist. Deleting the original will destroy the playlist.

I have the KX50 too so I'm not new to Toshiba HDD recorders. I don't remember a way to delete unwanted scenes on it either.
    This is described on page 118 of the KX50 Operations manual. The "star" button on the remote switches between selecting titles and selecting chapters.

On the KX50, during recording, you can access the Quick Menu and set an end time. Not very convenient, but possible (page 37).

One advantage of the KX50 (XS52) is that it does NOT have TVGOS but a more traditional VCR type of timer programming menu (including separate bitrates for each recording). Two additional side benefits of this is low power consumption and a fan that stops when the machine is "off".
    The playlist can be copied to the HDD or DVD and then the titles can be deleted. Like I already said this is what is recommended in the manual to keep the HDD from becoming fragmented.

The XS35 DOES NOT have the end time function in quick menu or anywhere else. I know it's there on other Toshibas I've used it on the D-R4 many times. All recording is tied to the TVGOS.

The XS35 manual timers work pretty much like any other recorder, except they are set in the TVGOS instead of easy navi. The bitrates can be set just like the KX50, in fact, there are more options on the XS35 than the KX50. There are 10 preset record options plus up to 5 user selectable video and audio bitrate settings.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by samijubal
    Here are a couple of workarounds.

Those workarounds are with the TVGOS setup. I use satellites and don't have the TVGOS setup, it can't be with satellites. There's no way without having the TVGOS setup to stop a recording. I've tried everything under the sun, nothing works. I can make the recording stop but I can't make the recorder shut down. The best I can do is to set a manual timer recording for the time I want the current recording to stop and just set the timer recording for a short time, this doesn't shut down the recorder since it was on at the time the timer recording started. With HDD stop set in the setup menus the HDD will at least stop spinning after 5 minutes. In my situation that's the best that can be done.

I suppose I could connect an antenna to the recorder and setup the TVGOS and then use the methods suggested. I might have to try that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. A DVD-R disc scan in DVDInfoPro shows the burn speed as 10x. The recorder can be set for fast or slow, maybe slow is 4x.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by samijubal

Try this.

Yes as a satellite user I do not have the TVGOS guide populated with data but as a satellite user I still use TVGOS to set up manual timer recordings. This also holds true when starting manual recordings when I may want to adjust the end time. This is similiar to using the quick menu in non TVGOS models.

To do this all you have to do is start your manual recording within TVGOS. There are a couple of ways to do this. Here's one:

Press "Easy Navi". Navigate to and press "TV GUIDE ON Screen". You are now in TVGOS at the "Schedule" tab.

Press "Menu" on the remote. Navigate to the "new manual recording" tab.

Press enter on the remote. Arrow up to "schedule recording" (don't set any start or end times - just start the manual recording). You can also set up recording quality at this point if so desired. You might set the default to "user" and then adjust the quality before entering TVGOS when setting up a manual recording.

You can edit the end time of the manual recording in progress by highlighting the recording within TVGOS (under the "schedule" tab) and pressing the "Menu" button on the remote. There is an option to "edit recording". You can set the end time under "edit recording" to what ever you would like - down to the minute.

It sounds a lot more cumbersome than it actually is. If you do it a few times it becomes second nature. But the rule is pretty simple - if you want to set the end time of a manual recording it must be started and edited within TVGOS.

You can also press the "TV Guide" button on the remote. This will put you at the "Listings" tab within TVGOS. Left arrow twice to get to the "Schedule" tab. From here set up your manual recording and edit the end time as explained above.
    Quote Quote  
  10. That actually works, thanks. Sort of a pain in the ass compared to just using quick menu but better than nothing. I thought I tried everything, I guess not.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Here's another approach but it requires setting up the guide.

After you set up the guide - for example with an OTA antenna - if you are set on 1.2 or 3 line input when you press the TV Guide button on the remote the Guide default is that line input. Said better if I'm on line input 3 and watching Satellite from the Satco STB when I press TV Guide on the Toshiba remote the guide opens and defaults to line 3. Now all I have to do is press record to start a manual recording.

So using this way to initiate a manual recording becomes a two remote press process. Press TV Guide then press record. That's it. Two clicks. Now at this point to set an end time things change a bit from what I described above. It's easier - much easier. There is no need to move to the Schedule tab, highlight the recording in progress, press menu on the remote and then go into the edit screen to change the end time.

Here's the progression to set an end time for a manual recording using this approach:

Press TV Guide on the remote -> press record to start the manual recording -> press menu on the remote -> you now have acces to the "edit recording" menu tab. That's it. All of this happens within the TVGOS guide.

There are also additional options available within the Guide prior to starting a manual recording. Prior to pressing the record button if you press the menu button you have a "set recording" option tab. Under this tab you can set the end time in various increments up to two additional hours - similiar to multiple record presses on a remote as offered on other DVD recorders. You can also adjust record quality at this point.

Also at any time during the manual recording you can highlight the "Line in" in the TVGOS guide. Press Menu on the remote and adjust the recording end time.

It looks like most of the options people want are there. They just seem to be undocumented. Which doesn't suprise me based on the complexity of these machines. I have the XS55 which brings an entire additional set of complexities not included on the XS35. Amazing machines.

Remember you have to first set up the Guide to have access to these options.

edit - correction to the above. If you want to set the end time down to the minute you still have to enter the "edit recording" menu from the Schudule tab under TVGOS. Sorry about that.

The trick here is to start a manual recording with just two remote actions. From here a number of options become available to set the end time of a manual recording.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by next
    There is no need to move to the Schedule tab, highlight the recording in progress, press menu on the remote and then go into the edit screen to change the end time.
    I was just testing this out and about to point out that this option only allows you to set the end time in various increments up to two additional hours and now I see your edit. But still, your explanations show that there is indeed more than one way to skin a cat with these great machines. Thanks for your expertise.

Since when I start a recording I also know and want to set the end time right away, I now usually select Line In and just go straight to the Schedule tab, hit Menu on the remote, select new manual recording, set the end time and recording quality, then hit Schedule Recording, which starts the recording immediately, then walk away.

Now my turn to edit : put in "hit Menu on the remote" to clarify the procedure.
    Quote Quote  
  13. What will happen in February of next year? If the guide has been setup with an antenna and then the antenna is disconnected, do all those guide cheats still work or does the antenna have to be connected at the time of use?
    Quote Quote  
  14. That's a good question.

My guess is that if the guide is set up and it stops becoming populated the "Input" as the first channel in the guide will remain.

I might check this by disconnecting the OTA antenna and see what happens after the guide data is no longer received.

The key is to have that "Input" channel appear in the guide. It is not there if the guide is not set up. And I believe the TVGOS data has to be received in order for the guide to be set up. Obviously a catch 22.

Next question is if one of the new digital to analog converters will pass TVGOS data from the local CBS affiliate. There are reports that there are some that do. But I really haven't been paying attention. If there are some that do it should be no problem for this exercise - simply having acces to the "Input" as the first channel in the guide. Even if the rest of the channels in the guide are hosed up it won't really matter as far as this is concerned,

I think I might also manually delete all of the channels out of the guide and see what happens. See if the "Input" spot in the guide is retained after I do this. As a satallite customer I don't need or use the guide.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have a Zenith digital converter box I could try and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Does the recorder lock up when the guide is downloading? I connected an antenna and setup the guide and when I went to turn the recorder on a few hours later to see if anything happened it wouldn't turn on with the remote or unit either one. That's never happened before. I waited 15-20 minutes and it still wouldn't turn on. I ended up doing a reset. I think I'll pass on using the guide.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The TVGOS is a great feature, so I hope you can get it working. For its initial download, it's best to leave the unit off for 24 hours; no peeking.
    Quote Quote  
  18. With a satellite the guide is useless anyway, except for the recording cheats posted here.

The recorder would be a lot better if easy navi and quick menu had the options they do on the non-HDD models. The guide may be cool for cable, it's not for satellites.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have this recorder XS-35, used to record TV shows from an analog cable ( Shaw cable/Vancouver) thru the TVGOS, no problem.
    Recently, I switched to satellite using the Motorolla DSR-505 receiver (StarChoice satellite), it's a HD receiver.
    When I tried to DL the TVGOS, somehow I erased the current TV guide (the one I had before, even though no new data)
    don't know how to get a new TVGOS and how to record.... I think I can record manually a channel ,but have to physically present to start and to stop and can not watch other channel at the same time .
    Any help will be appreciated, a timer record will be great
    Quote Quote  
  20. To manually set a timer, press guide, then left twice to schedule, press menu and select new manual recording, there you can set timer recordings. The satellite should be connected to input 3 on the recorder, then you can go into the setup menus and set the recorder for satellite use and use the IR blaster if the Motorola code is there.

Unless the satellite receiver has dual tuners, you can't watch one program while recording another. The TVGOS doesn't work with satellites. All you can do is set manual timers as described above.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank You,
    At least I can record using timer now, UR the genius
    Can you be clearer about : "go into the setup menus and set the recorder for satellite use", and is IR Blaster the same as G-Link that came with the Toshiba recorder?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  22. When you're in the setup menu, go to the right icon and select set top box I think it's called. There you can set the recorder for satellite use. The TVGOS won't work but the IR blaster will if the code is in the database. I don't know what G-Link is. The recorder came with an IR blaster that plugs into the back to change channels on cable/satellite boxes for timer recording. Look on page 40 of the installation guide for setup instructions. The codes are on page 43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's someone on another forum who has a Panasonic EH55 set up for OTA and digital cable, and has an antenna feeding his Panny its TVGOS signal, and the EH55's RF out feeding his CM cable box (along with an IR blaster, I'm guessing). He records exclusively from his box and this setup allows him to do that through the TVGOS interface on his EH55, and the TVGOS automatically titles his shows for him. I wonder if a similar setup might work for the Toshiba RD-XS35 and a satellite box as well, given that it also has TVGOS and an IR blaster, AKA G-Link. Try it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. There are some Panasonics that the TVGOS will work with some satellites, Direct TV if I remember right. Panasonic designed them to work that way. I don't think it will work with Toshiba but it doesn't hurt to try.
    Quote Quote  
  25. The TVGOS system, while convenient in some ways, comes at the cost of minor (sometimes major) operational glitches in every recorder that includes it. There were a couple of evolutions to the system, with the "final" analog version being used in the Panasonic EH55 and other Panasonics of that year. The Panasonic version has a much less difficult manual timer override, is more stable overall, and is compatible with some satellite services. On the whole, if you have a jones for TVGOS, the 2006 Panasonics have the most capable and least cumbersome version of it. If your primary thing is timeshifting, Panasonics' version of TVGOS rules. The 2004-2005 Toshibas would be one step down from the Panasonics, and the 2005 Pioneers a distant third with the worst possible TVGOS version: nearly unusable and interferes in every way with normal recorder operation. Other priorities come into play, of course. If you want the highest possible picture quality and the greatest flexibility for authoring DVDs, the Toshibas were miles ahead and remain so to this day. No other mfr has ever even tried to equal the Toshiba feature set, which is very unfortunate. Current Pioneers are a decent compromise between Toshiba and Panasonic, I use those exclusively now, but they don't have TVGOS or extensive authoring features.

Its a shame the marketplace has shrugged off the more versatile Toshiba-style recorders. The dedicated, one-box, soup-to-nuts set-top DVD machine still holds great appeal for me and many others. I keep hoping Toshiba will release new machines or that another mfr will copy their features. But we live in an age where the PC dominates everything: it killed off standalone CD recorders and DVD recorders are next in the crosshairs. Commercial studio DVDs will remain as the rental/purchase option, but video recording is rapidly headed toward the "MP3" usage model. SanDisk and other chip makers are currently engrossed in negotiations with all the major studios in an effort to launch SD memory cards as "the new VCR", with protocols to handle everything from downloads to off-air recording. This wasn't expected for a few more years yet, so the trend seems to be accelerating. The hard-copy DVD-R is "old hat", apparently easy file transfer is more important to this generation than using cheap, broadly-compatible disc media.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's very helpful, Thanks P_L and all of you here
    , and now I will have to go down to my jungle basement looking for that G-Link, never learnt to use this recorder properly! just use it as a big VCR up until now
    Quote Quote  
  27. The IR blaster won't turn the satellite on, if it works, it will only change channels.
    Quote Quote