VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking to purchase a number of standalone DVD-R recorders (10+). I need a thumbnail display on the menu screen for the recorded tracks, but need the thumbnails to display the first frame of the recording... not randomly selected by the recorder. These units will be direct recording, so internal hard drives is not desired. Nothing fancy - composite input and output. I have a few Pioneer DVR-231 units, but I am not familiar with addional units that have frist frame thumbnail feature.

I would appreciate any suggestions!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Out of curiosity, I did a Google search using these words: "dvd recorder menu first frame," and got a lot of hits. One mentioned the Toshiba RD-XS35, another the Mustek R100A, and still another went to this link:

http://www.videodirect.com/panasonic/dvd/dvdrecorder.html

I have a similar Pioneer model to yours, but the availability is getting scarcer. So you want more than 10? It sounds like you are making live event recordings, then hawking those DVDs after the event ends; am I right? Another option would be to record on 1 or 2 DVD recorders, then put the master disc in a high-speed 1-to-10 DVD duplicator. Just a thought.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any Panasonic DVDR will allow you to change the frame that's displayed as the "title" thumbnail. It always defaults to 1:05. It's pretty easy to change. Note Panasonic won't do thumbnails for chapters if that's what you mean by "recorded tracks". The older Toshibas are the only standalones that I'm aware that had that feature.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The Toshiba D-R4 is a non HDD model that does what you want, thumbnails for titles and chapters are user setable. You can find them for a decent price on ebay. They are '05 models and may not hold up too well after this much time. The '04 - '06 recorders that were actually made by Toshiba have the best PQ of any recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies

Actually, the recorders will be recording live sample testing images. I have 4 locations across the country using the same process. The idea is everyone to use the same equipment. Each recording is recorded on 2 seperate units - just in case we make a coaster on one. Each track will be about 5-10 minutes, about 20 titles per DVD. I am using a video titler to display sample information at the begining of each recording. Having the thumbnail display the sample info is pretty nice. So far in the last 4 years, we have a library of over 1500 DVDs of very boring data in one location- but I can find sample information quickly!

I have used a Panasonic DVR-E35 (04 Model I think), but could not set the thumbnail default. Then we found a bunch of Pioneers that worked a treat. But we are wearing them out pretty quickly - and they are getting scarace. The Pioneers may not win many durability awards, but I cannot complain too much.

I was looking at the Toshiba D-R400 - I think it will fit the bill... if the thumbnail can be set as a recorder default.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That's a Funai made piece of crap. I don't think thumbnails can be set on them. Only the recorders made by Toshiba will allow thumbnail setting. I think the D-R5 was the last one of them, if it will do it.
    Quote Quote