VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everyone,

I FINALLY purchased a Toshiba RD-XS34 and look forward to using it soon. Thanks again for the advice on selecting this DVD Recorder. I can say that after searching for three months, I think I finally found a good one.

I did want to ask which DVD-Rs are recommended for any Toshiba models. I saw Taiyo Yuden is mentioned in the instruction manual, but I'm not sure if I can purchase these in Pennsylvania. I also have Memorex 8x, would these work?

Is there an update for this DVD Recorder that will allow it to burn 16X DVD-Rs?

Thanks,
    DJL
    Quote Quote  
  2. You may not need an update for 16x discs. If it does have a problem with 16x discs, it'll probably be finalizing, not burning. If there's a firmware update, if it has problems with 16x discs there should be one, you'll have to contact Toshiba and have them mail a disc, they don't have updates on their website. I can use 16x discs in my D-R4, but I've seen other D-R4s that won't finalize 16x discs without the update. Each recorder is different.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks samijubal. I will test out the player with 16x DVDRs and consider contacting Toshiba if this is a problem.

Also does anyone know what the difference is between Taiyo Yuden VL 8x DVD-R Silver Lacquer and Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R Silver Thermal Lacquer?

DJL
    Quote Quote  
  4. Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media is the way to go

I personally use "value line" 8x blanks you can get at SuperMediaStore.com and other online sources

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-media-value-line.html

Some people prefer the premium line or inkjet printables, but these have served me very well.

I record everything to my XS34 and XS35 on the hard drive first, then transfer to DVD-R after editing

Virtually no coasters so far out of several hundred discs burned (whether with the DVD recorders or my computer's DVD burner). Plus, Taiyo Yuden discs have outstanding player compatibility, too.

BTW, "thermal lacquer" tops means they can be used with thermal disc printers. I use a Sharpie on mine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have a number of Liteon standalone recorders with and without HDD and it makes no difference what the speed of the disk is (4x, 16x, etc) or the manufacture. I use verbatim 8x a lot because I got a good deal on them but have used many 16x of different mfg.

Some of these units have replaced PC drives that have firmware that is for 16x
    The recorders burn the 16x disks at 4x max because; it is what these units do, regardless of any version of the firmware used. I have never had any problems with burning or finalizing with any disks

Is it being said that a firmware upgrade will increase the burn or copy speed of some standalone units? I had always felt the manufactures limit this, to avoid problems

I have not used a lot of other units but have not seen any real difference in burn speed in those I have.

When used in a PC the disk speed will make a difference. If the burner will burn at 16x and the disk used is 4x or 8x the burn should be within the parameters of the disk, Depending on the operator and/or quality of the software used to avoid a coaster.

Edit
    The liteon units will burn any DVD disk, any speed + or - R/RW and CD
    The ilo units will do the same but only + disks and no CD, except when the firmware on an ilo R04 is changed to make it a lteon 5005x than it will do as any liteon with allwrite
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gshelley61,

Thanks for the advice on which DVDRs you prefer. I will probably consider getting some of the Value Lines one to try for it.

LCSHG,
    I'm confused with what you said about:
    "I have a number of Liteon standalone recorders with and without HDD and it makes no difference what the speed of the disk is (4x, 16x, etc)"
    I also had a Liteon 5005 (I believe was the model number) which I liked a lot, but it was so particular about using only 8x speed DVDRs and never could I use 16x. I'm impressed that yours was so flexible.

You also said,
    "When used in a PC the disk speed will make a difference. If the burner will burn at 16x and the disk used is 4x or 8x the burn should be within the parameters of the disk, Depending on the operator and/or quality of the software used to avoid a coaster."
    I totally agree with you and I guess that's why I was confused as to why my LiteOn was so picky about using 16x when in the end it still burns it at like 4x.

DJL
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW gshelley61,

Do you ever use 16x DVDRs to record on your RD-XS34?

DJL
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hard to argue against Taiyo Yuden. Most people seem to prefer the 8x (TYG02) to the 16x (TYG03) but both types are excellent media. I actually prefer Verbatim 8x

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1792&C..._Code=VERBATIM

These have always proven to record well and have excellent compatibility with recorders and players. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Onesidepickup,

Is there a difference between the DVDRs you suggested and the ones found here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6965331&st=Verbatim&lp=15&type=product&c...=1099385476779

DJL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VideoGard discs (Verbatims) have an extra protective coating that makes them resistant to scratches. I suggest these for heavy-use discs, such as video game backups or favorite DVD movies (be they homemade or commercial backups). Also good for often-used archives or even packet-written discs.

A bit expensive for general use.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used VideoGard discs (Verbatims) on old Betamax movies that never land on VHS or DVD as of yet.. Great Disc!
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. DJL82

I should think that a disk of preference would be a choice of the user.

I have two Liteon 5045,and three 5005 also two ilo RHD04 and two R04 units.
    Originally they had 451s and 813s drives and most have had liteon drives from 812s to 1693s installed.
    With correct operating procedure and a --- (correctly operating) --- drive, they would burn any disk to 16x without fail.
    A number of the units have the original drives re-installed and they burn a 16x disk fine.
    The same is also true of some 20 liteon/ilo units that I worked on and/or replaced the drives.
    If your 5005 will only burn an 8x disk and by your posts I should think procedure is not an issue. The drive itself could be at fault. (This has been a problem with the orig drives).

A note on a drive replacement
    A liteon/ilo 5005 units DVD drive is replaced with a 1693s drive. This drive is specified as 16x.
    In a 5005 that drive will only burn at 4x max as the unit will govern the drive speed.
    The 1693s, while accepted by the unit, will be ignored in any firmware change. Its firmware and properties will remain unchanged unless changed in a PC.
    I have two 1693s drives in my PC units and have yet to have either burn at 16x except for a brief moment and any attempt to do so, to often, results in a bum burn.
    I do my burns at 8x, even with 16x disks. (At least at this point in time}

PS
    While there may be bad disk I feel that to often a disk is blamed when it is the operator or the drive at fault. I had used Verbatim +RW disks and had problems until I worked out a procedure the satisfied the disks when used in the ilo units. (at times these units do not properly erase the disks).
    There have been a number of comments, that disk manufactures are trying to push their disks to higher speeds that may have resulted in disk failures, which is a reason I look for 8x disks.

Edit
    The Toshiba is a good unit and I should think it should burn any disk except if the above for higher speed disks is correct. If so, it would be a disk problem. not only in a standalone unit but a PC
    Quote Quote  
  13. Those Value TY discs suck these days. I used them heavily for about 2 years and saw maybe half a dozen bad discs. Now I've got 200 or more with scratches, spots, chips, etc. I'll never touch them again. It's not worth all the bad discs to save a few pennies per disc.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    samijubal,

Which disks do you recommend then?

DJL
    Quote Quote  
  15. Buy the premium TYs. If you watch the sales at Supermediastore, Meritline, Newegg, you can get them for slightly more than the value discs. Verbatim is good too. I've got them for $10-$20 for 100 a few times after rebates, which usually come pretty fast.
    Quote Quote  
  16. There's a deal this week at SuperMediaStore for 100 TY premium DVD-R's... $25 shipped with rebate.

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-r-media-100-pack.html

Originally Posted by DJL82
    BTW gshelley61,

Do you ever use 16x DVDRs to record on your RD-XS34?

DJL
    I have received some 16x TY discs (when I actually ordered 8x) and they have also worked perfectly fine with my Toshiba recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks gshelley61 on the link. I took your advice and ordered some TY. What confuses me is why these disks are getting so scratched for certain guys? I know even reading feedback on the website by some members, there seems to be a big issue with errors and scratches on the disk.

DJL
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by DJL82
    Onesidepickup,

Is there a difference between the DVDRs you suggested and the ones found here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6965331&st=Verbatim&lp=15&type=product&c...=1099385476779

DJL
    Sorry - been offline for awhile. I see lordsmurf answered your question though.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DJL82
    Thanks gshelley61 on the link. I took your advice and ordered some TY. What confuses me is why these disks are getting so scratched for certain guys? I know even reading feedback on the website by some members, there seems to be a big issue with errors and scratches on the disk.

DJL
    It's probably just those value discs. They are the TY rejects that aren't good enough for them to sell under their name.

Edit
    It looks like it's the premium discs now too. Bummer, guess it's time to use Verbatim. I'm sick of scrapping discs because of scratches, spots, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so let me see if I have this straight, Toshiba (an excellent DVD Recorder) recommends "reject (DVDRs) that aren't good enough ... to sell under their name"? Why is that?

DJL
    Quote Quote  
  21. The value discs are the discs that didn't pass TY quality controls so they are sold to someone else who resells them, they aren't labeled TY anywhere on the packaging. I don't know what's up with the complaints on the premium ones. Maybe it's the discs or maybe it's just people that haven't updated their burner firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Clarifying

A PM (other site) questioned a statement I made in a previous post on this thread

“they would burn any disk to 16x without fail”

I did not mean to imply that the recorders would burn at 16x
    The units will burn at 4x with any disk if its a 4x, 8x or 16x disk, and I believe I said that in a prior statement. BUT meant that I could use any disk from 4x to 16x without fail
    I prefer Verbatim but have used many different manufacture disks. I have not had problems with any. I might add that that many disks recommended on posts are not on a “list ‘ of approved disks for many units mine included.
    I am not referring to rip off disks but brands such as Verbatim, Toyo, Maxell, Memorex., Ritek, TDK, and yes CMC. Which makes the disks for a number of brands.

My son in law has an 11/2 yt. old Toshiba and uses Memorex disks most often (4x and 8x) and has not gad any problems. Some of these disks were made by Ritek and some by CMC

A favorite for the tech service) on many new units in which the customer is having problems is, “ The disks are at fault” or “it’s the firmware, you need to upgrade, we have a new one that will be posted in a few days ” (sure)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even though they come with lots of scratches and other problems, do you all find that TY DVDRs are better quality compared to say Verbatim or are they pretty much the same?

DJL
    Quote Quote  
  24. I've had no problems with Verbatim, except some scratched discs on a spindle once.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    The value discs are the discs that didn't pass TY quality controls so they are sold to someone else who resells them, they aren't labeled TY anywhere on the packaging. I don't know what's up with the complaints on the premium ones. Maybe it's the discs or maybe it's just people that haven't updated their burner firmware.
    I don't believe that's true. Although those discs did not pass premium grading, it's not crap. TY is not disowning the discs.

If you find lots of dust on your media, on a regular basis, then you probably need to look at your own home being the source of that dust. At any rate, there is always going to be some % of debris on media, or even food for that matter.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I don't have a problem with dust on discs. The last batch of value discs I got were scratched, spotted, etc. I've got about 200 discs like that out of 500. Not worth it to save a few pennies per disc at best.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Part of that is in how they are packed (tape wrapped) ... and then mistreated by shippers and even handlers at the store where you bought them. Even that could be certain people are clods, not the whole store. You may want to report that to the store, not TY.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Like I said, I've had no problems with the value line TY's personally. Even recent shipments I've received have been fine in my case. Perhaps I have been lucky.
    Quote Quote