VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Am I the only one who does not know this? Looks like it's a common knowledge ever since. Perhaps I did not read the manual very carefully.

After using two Sony HDV tapes, then two JVC tapes, then two Panasonic tapes, my barely used HC-3 suddenly won't play or record. The error message - "head is dirty." After using a Sony head cleaner, it kind of works albeit with occassional dropouts.

For six years, I have used a Digital8 with a mix of tapes (whatever on sale) and this did not happen to me.

I also read that, years ago, Sony already reformulated its lubricant so that is does not react with the other brand. NOT.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After all that Sony has done to @#$% us ... you still are buying their products?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Interesting, I've heard this before and others have declared it a "urban myth". Could be it's not the tapes that are the cause of your problems and it's just a coincidence. Whatever the case to be on the safe side I've only purchased one brand of tape and intend on sticking with it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.tapestockonline.com/minidvtapefaqs.html

I'm not sure about the accuracy of the statements but there are many others about this topic.

BTW, I used the $12 Sony HDV tape and the Panasonic brand which are both made in Japan. I read that you should use a head cleaner first before using a different brand of tape if you are not sure of the lubricant used.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edong
    After using two Sony HDV tapes, then two JVC tapes, then two Panasonic tapes, my barely used HC-3 suddenly won't play or record. The error message - "head is dirty."
    A similar thing happened to me with the same three tape types. I had been using only JVC with no problems, but found some Sony and Panasonic tapes on sale. Big mistake.

After several passes with a cleaning tape, I was able to restore the performance of my camcorder. Ever since then I have used only JVC tapes, and things are fine once again.
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I can't believe people are still buying Sony products.

Roberta
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is known that Sony uses a wet lubricant while some others use a dry lubricant. Mixing tapes can cause problems as you've already seen.
    Once you get your tape head fixed choose one tape and stick with it.
    Quote Quote