VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I create AV compositions using Video sampling, this involves ripping and re edditing sections of films and using them to create music and video compositions, up untill now I've always worked with plain dvd, but am currently trying to move to using Blu-ray films as my source footage, so far I've had two problems, perhaps some of you may be able to help give me some advice on.

Firstly, This LG Blu-ray drive won't play Blu-ray discs on my PC, the Cyberlink software it comes with says that playback canot continue and sugests my monitors are not HDCP complient. (Does this really mean I need to spend again to get a DVI HDCP compliant monitor?) my current monitors are plain old non HDCP VGA 19".

I uninstalled all the Cyberlink/Power dvd software and started looking in to way's to ripp and convert the Blu-ray discs (this is a common part of my work as an AV Artist) the most important thing being to preserve the quality - bit for bit ie the exact quality and resolution the blu-ray files are on the disc (AV compositions are projected over very large screens and need to be very large in size to accomodate) but I found Ripping and converting Blu-ray was far from straightfarward, I had some limited succes with DVDFab, it did rip a 20gig m2ts file (great) however it won't rip individual chapters (which would help for re editing) 20gig can take an hour or so just to load in to an editing app like Sony Vegas, and I found again Vegas also won't display the image, is this sony's HDCP kicking in again? Cirtainly none of the convertors I've tested will work propperly and the only one that does (ISkysoft) won't keep the original image resolution 1080x1920.

Please offer any advice that you can, I'm getting very depressed about this, and having to outlay so much money on Blu-ray drives, movies, screens etc before I can even know if what I want to do is even possible is getting to me.

Please let me know what your expieriences with HDPC are, and any Apps that you have found work well for ripping Blu-ray discs or any good conversion software you might use. Also what do you think my problem might be? is it all down to HDPC, is this why none of my ripping/conversion software will not work? Any dvd - Clone dvd - HandBrake, I've tried most of them now, to no avail.

Regards ni-cad.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Working with BDs like you are doing is pretty much 'cutting edge' at present. The BD manufacturers and studios have made it as difficult as they can to extract video from the discs. Thank the MPAA and Sony for that.

Most of my BD backup conversion has been to MKV for easier playback on my system. I have no problem viewing the BDs or the MKVs on my 22" LCD monitor over a VGA connection. My monitor also has a HDMI interface, though I haven't used it much. I also output from the same computer via a DVI to HDMI adapter and 45' HDMI cable to my video projector with no problems. It works fine at 1920 X 1080, but I generally use the same res as my monitor 1680 X 1050 as it fits my projection screen better. I use PowerDVD and Arcsoft for software BD playback. I don't have a standalone BD player.

The principal tools I use are AnyDVD HD and RipBot and the tools included with it, tsMuxeR most often, sometimes eac3to. I had problems displaying BD on my projector and monitor till I upgraded my video card to a ATI 3870 and that solved them and it works great. My HTPC uses the on-board video and it works well also after I upgraded the drivers. I haven't really had any problems with HDCP, except it slows down the start of the playback when it 'negotiates' with my projector.

I also have a LG BD ROM and a Sony BD ROM drive and a new Pioneer BD burner. Never had any problems with them playing BDs. I'd look at your video card and drivers.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks redwudz, you certainly have a lot of kit, that makes me feel better, I have to be realistic about these things, it never ceases to amaze me though just how much money it all takes.

So, a few things you mentioned stood out, firstly that your using Anydvd and Ripbot, neither of which will rip my discs. A lot of people use them, at first I figured they were just duff bits of software but it's good to hear from someone who has first hand expierience with them actually working, this points to my system being the culprit not the ripping software.

Secondly, the fact that your using Power dvd for BD playback over a VGA output is confusing, the Powerd dvd version that came with my LG Blu-ray drive (Power dvd ultra) detected the fact that my monitor was not HDCP compliant and pointed to this being the reason that there was no playback.

Are you conected to a HDCP compliant screen, over a VGA connector then?

I double checked my Graphis cards and drivers, Radeon HD4870's are HDCP compliant, this leaves only the screen. I guess I need to confirm this with LG technical support tommorrow.

Regards ni-cad.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I only had problems with the projector for BD playback, and that was mostly settings. My VGA hooked-up monitor has always worked. I had some stutter before I upgraded my video card, but it still worked. I do have a HDMI cable for the monitor, so maybe tomorrow I'll try hooking that up to the monitor. Since the monitor is only 1680 X 1050, it's not going to display 1920 X 1080 anyway. Your video card is quite a bit more powerful than mine, so unless it's a odd driver problem, no sure what's going on there or if that's part of the problem. But ATI has had a few odd driver problems in the past.

I'm using ATI driver version 8.591.0.0 but I don't know if the ATI 4870 uses the same.

I've never had any problem with AnyDVD HD reading any of the BD discs I've tried. Some of them are a bit more than RipBot can handle by itself, then I rip them to my HDD and use tsMuxeR to sort them out and feed the muxed version to RipBot.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    PowerDVD is rather infamous. In my opinion each release honestly gets worse and less functional than the one before it. Hollywood demands changes and removal of functionality with each new release. In the recent past PowerDVD would play BluRay and HD DVD without HDCP, but it would not do so in full high definition. The resolution was barely above standard definition, but I don't remember what it was. Now it seems that they have taken even that away. I doubt that WinDVD is any better. Note that if you rip BluRays to your hard drive, the current PowerDVD will refuse to play them from the hard drive. You can also thank Hollywood for that.

I stopped buying PowerDVD years ago and I'll never give any money to Cyberlink as long as they keep being Hollywood's bitch. We consumers desperately need someone to come up with a freeware BluRay software player not because it's free of charge but because we need someone to make one that is free of the restrictions Hollywood wants like the apparent new mandatory requirement for HDCP.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree completly, the closest thing to a Blu ray freeware player I've found is Zoom player, though, I havn't as yet tested it with Blu-ray I know it will play HD.

My problem is definatly the HDCP, the more I researched in to it the more horrifying the stories I found became, I un-installed the Power dvd software almost imediatly, however you can never be sure what parts of it may remain hidden away, perhaps spying or enforcing the HDCP, maybe thats just my parranioa It is worrying though, almost all of the (Blu-ray/m2ts) ripping and conversion software I've found seems to either be functioning incorrectly or to have been dissabled by the HDCP not even Anydvd will allow playback on this PC.

btw I've ordered a new 22" del 1080p HDCP compliant monitor, if this doesn't solve my problem then it can only be a driver issue as I'm sure these Radeons are HDCP ready.

Thanks though guy's, your support has been really reasuring, I'll post back as soon as I have had any succes.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd love to know how this turns out for you. I also have the ATI 4870 and 2 Samsung SyncMaster 205BW monitors. I could not get BluRay to play back on my system using PowerDVD, WinDVD or ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater. The ArcSoft wouldn't even play DVDs. I got so fed up that I purchased a Samsung BluRay player and a 22 inch Full HD TV.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I'm with you Brainiac..I wanted cheap hd so I got the xbox 360 hd dvd drive..my computer had more than enough to playback hd dvd smoothly but the software/drivers all sucked..I ended up buying a standalone player off craigslist..it just isn't worth the hassle .
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVD HD removes the need for HDCP & AACS compliancy as well as decrypting the movie

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ocgw
    AnyDVD HD removes the need for HDCP & AACS compliancy as well as decrypting the movie
    That may be one reason I have no problems with playback. But I think PowerDVD worked with my monitor and projector with BD discs before I installed AnyDVD.

MPC-HD will play the AnyDVD decrypted BD's .m2ts files from the BDMV/STREAM folder on the disc, but won't open the full BD or play it that way. The Zoom Player Home MAX v6.00 that I have will also do that.

But to play the whole BD with menus, etc, you still need PowerDVD, ArcSoft or WinDVD. I don't know of a freeware BD disc player program, though someone may have come up with one. If you have AnyDVD for decryption, someone should be able to make a freeware player for the whole disc.

I did try hooking my HDMI output from my computer to my 22" Hanns G monitor and it works fine with HDMI at 1680 X 1050 (Native res). The downside is, it doesn't look any better than my VGA hookup and I have no computer screen at all, just the HDMI output. I have to switch the monitor back to VGA to do much of anything. But I plan to use that option to playback directly from one of my 400 disc DVD changers to the monitor so I don't have to use the projector just to watch a DVD from my changers. I have a HDMI switch to bypass the projector input.
    Quote Quote