VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Another fly in the archiving ointment:
    I pretty much like the Philips 3575 DVD Recorder with hard drive but I must not understand the Philips recording system.

I'm used to DVD-R recorders (Panny, JVC) where each title creates a separate vob file in the VIDEO_TS folder. The Video_ts folder that the Philips 3575 creates merges the titles together into 1 long multiple VOB files as if it were 1 Title (on a DVD-R). That sucks big time for editing later.
    It also puts a folder on the disc named VIDEO_RM which is new to me.

I'm trying to convert lots of old VHS footage to DVD. Recording to the Philips HDD I was careful to split the programs up into separate titles so that once it was burned I could easily re-arrange (and edit) them later on my mac. But the Philips puts them all back together.

So put them in MPEG Streamclip and split them? Wrong. I tried it but after title 1 the gray menu screen appeared instead of title 2. So that's glitchy.

The Philips 3575 is fun but I'm almost ready to pack it in and go for the JVC DR-MV5 combo.

Am I missing something? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Would there be a different file structure depending on whether I use DVD-R or +R?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I said before, I don't do PC editing, but I started a new thread on AVS forum here on that subject.

It's been discussed before on AVS but in scattered comments, so the new thread is intended to be on just the subject of editing Philips DVDR3575H/37 files on a PC.

I suggest you copy your question here over to the next post on the linked AVS thread, and that would be a good way to "get the ball rolling"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tanks wabjxo! Done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It uses DVD-VR formatting for video data.
    Your Panasonic and JVC were the same way, using DVD-VR.

A DVD-Video non-VR disc uses 1GB VOB chunks, totally separate from the titles. Titles are controlled by IFO in all situations.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote