VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello I had a heck of a time finding my Philips 3575 so I thought I'd give y'all a heads up on a deal I found online where it doesn't say out of stock.

It's at Ubid.com. and as of this writing says they have 14 available for a buy it now price of $219.99 for a factory refurb with 90 day warranty and free shipping.

I just got my Philips 3575 refurb. through amazon.com otherwise I would be trying to get one of these.

http://www.ubid.com/Philips_DVDR3575H_DVD_Recorder_160_GB_HD_Drive_*FREE_SHIPPING*/a11....html#bid_here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen a number of these at Wal-Marts and Circuit City's even up to a week ago. So they exist for sale on shelves. Those are about $300 each, so this is a good deal.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or brand new ones at Amazon.com now w/free shipping 289.99.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Guys,

Does this machine have flex recording (FR) function? In other words, does it allow you to set the time/bit-rate of your recordings or are stuck with only XP, SP, etc.? Thanks.

That link you posted to Ubid.com has the listing as a PAL machine. Is that an error? seems all the bidders are from the US. I hope they know what they are bidding on. Actually, in reading further, that listing on uBid is extremely misleading and I am scratching my head as to what is true and what is true and what is not. Besides the PAL listing, it also says DVD+R DL recordable media. On the website for Philips, it makes no mention of DL in the owners manual. What is the truth concerning this machine?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something is weird about that add since it seems to be PAL and it i mentioned that a Scart is included in the package. Scart is not used in the US and yeat they only sell to the continent of The United States Of America.

Fishy indeed...
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently the Spec sheet is wrong. One user in Minnesota USA posted on AVS Forum that he just got his unit from ubid.com and scanned channels, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVWannaB
    Does this machine have flex recording (FR) function? In other words, does it allow you to set the time/bit-rate of your recordings or are stuck with only XP, SP, etc.?
    No FR mode. It has an "AUTO" dub mode, but even that just selects the highest-quality real-time rec mode, from among its six normal rec modes, for the material to be dubbed... just saves a person from having to make a decision on which to choose, i.e., "dubbing for dummies".

I did a test of a 1:30:00 title and AUTO used 2-hr-SP mode for the real-time dub. I also had High-speed and SP modes available, and High would have taken less space on the disc, so I would have chosen High, of course. I've never used AUTO.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wabjxo
    Apparently the Spec sheet is wrong. One user in Minnesota USA posted on AVS Forum that he just got his unit from ubid.com and scanned channels, etc.
    Yes, the Spec sheet must be wrong cuz one user here set his ubid.com unit up and everything works great in Minnesota, USA!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    thanks wab. Or should I say Waxy-Poo
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I've seen a number of these at Wal-Marts and Circuit City's even up to a week ago. So they exist for sale on shelves. Those are about $300 each, so this is a good deal.
    lordsmurf I remember a couple of years ago when you condemed Philps recorders, you claimed their encoder chip sucked and that they had a noisy picture. Do you mean that this have changed?

Are there any good models from Phillps now?

Which brands on the market today is the best ones?

I remember you spoke highly of JVC in 2005!
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
  11. To Add to –[Joakim_A] Post

Does the 3575, or another recomended unit, Have a 2-1/2 hr recording mode that would permit a full D1 recording. [at a proper but not excessive bit rate].
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 3575 has the following 1-, 2- and 2.5-hr rec. stats:

Mode.....Res..........Mbps-1...Mbps-2...Rec. Time on SL DVD, hours
    HQ......720x480......9.558......9.5...........1
    SP......720x480......6.124......5.5............2
    SPP....352x480......3.758......4.0............2.5

Res = Reading shown by WIN DVD.
    Mbps-1 = Reading shown by WIN DVD.
    Mbps-2 = Best est. of VBR centerpoint observed in Pio 640 Mbps display.
    Rec. Time = Max. program time that will fit a DVD, + a little for each if high-speed dubbed
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks for the info

I had felt that the SSP was 21/2 hr but was not sure and could find no info
    It seems it keeps the bitrate up but lowers the resolution. I should think this is good as many users like in the pioneer would push these values to far and end up with a bum disk

I have used the lition/ilo units, which have a 3hr mode

What seems accepted and is much as with my liteon/ilo units (the figures are not exact)
    LP ----- 1 hr ----- 9500 kbit/s ----- 720x480
    SP ---- 2 hr ----- 4800 ----- 720x 480
    LP ----- 3 hr ----- 3100 ----- 352x480
    EP ----- 4 hr ----- 2250 ----- 352x480
    SLP --- 6 hr ----- 1400

I had used mostly SP with some LP both are very good but dubbing a slight difference could be seen between them.

With VHS tape LP was as good and better [sometimes ?] than an original tape.
    With laser disk, while also analog in video, most often had better resolution and was full D1 {720x480} in a DVD disk} except one made from an old film on VHS tape.

The problem was those flicks that were some 2hr 10min. to 2hr 25min. long I didn’t want to push out very many to 3hr with less resolution and bitrate.
    I just split the program into 2 parts using SP and had 2 disks. Its not that many or a problem for myself. For a very few that were some 4-1/2 hr long I split into 3 Disks.

I had thought of a pioneer and than the Phillips But I think at this point I will just put it on hold
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I saw the mention of uBid and thought I would pass along a site that help bidding on uBid by sniping. The site is www.bidnapper.com and I believe support for uBid is free.
    John
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by LCSHG
    Does the 3575, or another recomended unit, Have a 2-1/2 hr recording mode that would permit a full D1 recording. [at a proper but not excessive bit rate].
    I know this is an old thread, but if anyone still needs an answer to this question, the current Pioneer units allow manually-set "speeds" of 2hrs 10min, 2hrs 20min, 2hrs 30min, 2hrs 40min, 2hrs 50min and so on up thru 6 hours on one single-layer DVD. I frequently use the 2hr 10min setting to fit three edited hour-long shows on one DVD, or to fit overlong movies, and find it very hard to tell the difference from standard SP (2hr) speed. The 2hr 10min setting can fit as much as 2hrs 15mins on a disc depending on the program material and is a Pioneer feature I use daily. Of course Pioneers are now only sold in Canada, but some USA residents find ways to import them for $300 or less. The Pioneer 450, 550, 650, 460, 560 and 660 are all identical except no USB/DV inputs on the 450 and an ethernet jack added to the newest 660. Whichever one you find on sale for the best price will be fine, open box 450s are often available at Canadian warehouse chains for $250 or less.

The Phillips is a steal at $219 if you can find it, but trades its good ATSC tuner for finely-tuned recording speeds. It might be preferable for users who are strictly OTA antenna recordists: the downrezzed ATSC records better at the Phillips SPP speed than lousy compressed cable or satellite sources. For those you might want to consider a Pioneer. Panasonic DVD/HDD units also had variable recording speeds but those machines have now been pulled from Canada as well as USA and are no longer easy to purchase. In North America the choice is now down to just Phillips and Pioneer, all other makes of DVD/HDD have left the market.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sam's Club has new 3576's for $249 Walmart sells them for $288
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  17. Wal Mart by me has stacks of 3575s and 3576s for $200. Nobody around here seems to want them. They also have the non-HDD recorders for $100.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where's "here"... I'd like to let some people know who might live in that area.
    Quote Quote  
  19. The store is in Harrisville, Utah.
    Quote Quote