VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Has anyone ever seen this code appear on the display, DB7FC27E19? I see it when turning the unit on, at first it shows WAIT, then it just turns off (the stand-by light never turns green). Any fix for this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The last time a saw a list of error codes, they were 3-4 digit codes...like E05. That looks like gibberish. You may want to verify through Philips or a repair shop, but it is likely cheaper to replace than to repair.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. DB means digital board, so it can probably be fixed by replacing the digital board.

However, it will be much cheaper to buy a new unit than to have Philips repair it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by qpskfec View Post
    DB means digital board, so it can probably be fixed by replacing the digital board.

However, it will be much cheaper to buy a new unit than to have Philips repair it.
    It's been a while, this recorder has been sitting gathering dust. I had some free time and figured you were right about the digital board, but considering this recorder was fairly new I tought it migth be a case of bad solder. The way they solder electronic boards you often end up with cold solder joints; mostly on components with larger pins. I simply removed the power supply and the digital board and re-soldered the pins from the connectors. That's all it took to fix the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. This is just a reference for others trying to upgrade the firmware of their DVDR985. I spent some time searching for an answer and the only one I found lead to a dead site.

The last version is 6.3 a.k.a ff12x. All the files I downloaded from Philips' website wouldn't work; during the upgrade the display would show "FILE EMPTY" and eject the disc. I tried the files for DVDR985/171 (my model #), DVDR985/172 and DVDR985 ver. 1.01 with same the result. I did a file compare between all 3 and they were identical.

The solution is to search the Philips site for DVDR985A99 (looks like the file is on the US site). You will find a 68.61 MB zip that contains the same files as the ones I tried before (except dvdr1000.001 is bigger) and a bunch of others.

P.S. I tried swapping the two dvdr1000.001's with the first fileset I got and it doesn't work. So, when it says FILE EMPTY, it must mean file missing.
    Last edited by nic2k4; 11th Jun 2010 at 01:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I still have my firmware disc from my DVDR985.

EDIT - it is 139MB dated from 2004(?).
    Quote Quote