VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone i own a Panasonic DMR EZ25 and it has been working like a charm throughout the tiem i have bought it.

but it is until a day ago where i inserted a disc and then all of a sudden its started to make this weird stroking noise for a couple of secs then it went to the kind of noise u would hear from the machine but it continuously clicking (like if it where banging its head all the time) and every time i would put a disc inside of any kind, it would just say it cannot read the disc. and even when i close the tray with no disc inside, it would still do the same and think i have inserrted a disc and the little icon of a disc would still appear on he machine.

we opened the machine and the drive and we found that the laser was just (as i stated) banging itself for awhile until it will give and say disc error.

this is a really weird problem, cause when it happened, i inserted a disc and played it nicely, then i inserted another and all of a sudden this happens.

i was wondering if anyone has came across this problem (even though i can exagerate the words) and see if it can be fixed.

i would really appreciate it if anyone can.

thanks, look forward to your replies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a lens/tray tracking issue. Basically the tray mechanism is no longer tracking properly (or the laser has failed) and it cannot properly read a disc. You can take it in to be serviced, but unless it is under warranty, it would likely be cheaper to replace it.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've heard that "stroking noise" only twice on my Panny's. Both times it was bad. On my es-30 once that noise, or you could call it a grinding noise, started it was downhill from there. After it started I would get failed finalizing, in which case it would never finalize on that, or any other panny. Worst case, it would erase the whole disc, and I never have access to those programs, or disc use. Unless it was a RW disc, in which case I would have to reformat the disc and then it would be blank, but reusable.
    Since you have a EZ unit, and at least in the states there is a 1yr warranty, maybe you could send it in to repair. If out of warranty....as KK said, it's usually cheaper to replace, than repair.
    You could also take the machine apart and try a cleaning of lense, etc. maybe that would work. I've been meaning to try that on my 2 panny's with the problem, but havent yet. Cleaning discs did nothing for me.
    Good luck mate!
    Quote Quote  
  4. hey there! cheers for the replies! and from what KK said, it is most likely the lens has failed on me, it just keeps hitting itself against the motor after i put in a disc (which was strached but this wasnt a minor problem in any case as it always read and write on it without problems).

i have opened it, and i should have recorded footage of wat it is actually doing (probably do that another time), dont think the lens is dirty anyways, but i still cleaned it.

unlike ur problem jjeff, my machine complately failed on me once i got that 'stroking noise' for a couple of secs and went downhill from there, so i literally cant put in any disc inside to even save mylife to read whatsoever.

may i ask here also, is it possible to replace the drive itself?

P.S. it was bought from ebay (not a dodgy one, trust me on that, it has worked for me for a long time). so i dont know about the warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it sounds like different problems, since mine will read fine. Only seems to be a problem writing and in particular finalizing.
    I won't be a lot of help here, but I'll try. I have seen on various forums, and I think even this one, try the sticky about Panasonic tips & tricks, suggestions about how to replace drives, condensers, etc. Sorry I cant steer you to a specific one about drive replacement. I do thought remember reading such. I guess, because of the cheap price, and willingness for us Americans to just throw things away, instead or repair, I didnt really think that was a option I wanted undertake.
    In my past life I used to keep my circa 1982 VCR's going up until I switched to DVD's in '03?. I guess with DVDR's I figured they were so much cheaper than my $1000+ '82 VCR's, and there was less mechanical things that I could actually replace, I am now more inclined to replace vs. repair.
    But hey, give it a go, and good luck. Keep us posted!
    P.S. I'm not familiar with euro Panny's, maybe you could educate me. Here in the states the EZ series of panny is the newest. <1yr old, I think. They have the new digital digital tuner's, for American HD source. What year is the euro panny EZ series, and do they have the ASTC, QAM digital tuners?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    About a year ago the drive on my old Panny died. I asked here about replacing it, but found out that the connections were soldered in. (No, I am not good with a soldering gun, except maybe to cause an injury.) I took it to a repair place that quoted me $495 for a new drive. A new machine was $145. That was a no-brainer.
    Since your machine is newer, it may have a different setup. Most repair places here will inspect the unit for a nominal amount and give you an estimate. (I think that I paid $20.) See if you can find one with a reasonable fee and see exactly what you are looking at.
    Quote Quote  
  7. well i was reading around, but i cant pin point exactly what u were refering to.

either way, soon i will post a video on youtube to show what the problem looks like.

also, does anyone know what kind of problem this is exactly?
    Quote Quote