My best friend just received the subject recorder as a Christmas gift and she is JUST NOW wanting to unpack it, hook it up and record shows starting with the new season of Survivor (1st episode THIS THURSDAY--ACK!)...

Guess who is stuck with the aforementioned task?

She has a brand-new wide screen TV (over 40"--unk brand) with I assume all the connections, and a DVR from Comcast (I believe it is a Scientific American brand).

Since I am a newbie at DVR/DVDRs (all I have is a Sony CD/DVD burner in my PC), would someone please answer the following general questions?

1) Will I be able to hook up the DVDR where she can still use the DVR to record other shows at the same time while recording yet another with the DVDR? Or will I have to do what some forums suggest and use the DVR to record a show as normal and THEN record THAT copy to the DVDR?

(I am not exaggerating when I tell you that she has always had the DVR set to record TWO different shows EVERY 30 MINUTES!)

NOTE (probably unneeded): the DVDR manual offers the following connection guide pages:
-antenna cable
-RF modulator
-cable/satellite box
-TV
-audio system

It doesn't mention anywhere in the manual anything about a DVR connection situation.

2) On some forums and even in the DVDR manual I have heard some shows are copy-protected and can't be burned, like those on pay-cable channels (HBO, Showtime)--is a show like Survivor one of those and will I even be able to burn a copy to the DVDR from the DVR if I have to go that route?

I would gladly welcome any help and it would be mucho appreciated!