VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently bought a refurbished LG LRM-519. It has the ability to send recorded video files from the internal hard drive to my PC. They call it, "Send to PC" and I've been unable to get it to work. When I make the attempt, the error message is, "Unable to connect to the specified share." I have the manual and have followed their instructions.

As required, I set up a machine with XP Professional, created a user and created a shared folder in the root on my C Drive. This computer is not connected to the internet.

I've tried a number of different things. I created the user with a password and then without; plugging the ethernet cable directly into the ethernet card on my PC and then also into a hub. I setup a second computer and verified that the two computers could transfer files between them and this worked.

While XP Pro is supposed to work, do I need to use XP Home? Is it possible that because of the way the unit is setup to retrieve the program guide, it's interfering with the file transfer? (The unit gets a program guide of tv shows each night. The setting for that require it to use a dynamic IP. But when I want to transfer files, do I have to reset the program guide up to use static IP? If true, this seems weird).

Any suggestions?

On a separate problem, the LRM-519 seems to turn itself on! Each night it attempts to retrieve the Program Guide. If I forget to plug the ethernet cable into my DSL modem or forget to turn the modem on, the next morning, the LRM-519 is on. Anyone know of a way to have it either not retrieve the guide or at least not stay on after a failed attempt?

Thanks for any help you might offer,
    Brian
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just went through the process of doing this here this evening. I've had my LRM-519 for a while now and I love it! Sure beats the hell out of paying a subscription fee for TIVO.

As to your problem, here is what I did.

1. Created a new, limited user that I use for network transfers only. Set it up with a pretty simple username and password so it's not a pain to put both into your LRM-519 field.

2. Create a shared folder. You typically do this by opening up your network folder and looking for the SharedDocs folder. Open it up and create a folder called "Video".

3. Right click on the new folder and go down to Properties. Click the Sharing tab and enable the sharing on the folder and give it the shortcut name of Video.

4. Make sure your computer has a name. For example, mine is "WINMIND" You can right click on the "My Computer" icon, go down to properties and click the "Computer Name" tab to see what your computer name is.

5. Then in your Shared Files prefs on your 519, give it the computer name. For example, mine is:

\\WINMIND\Video

6. Put in your username and password

You should be good to go. I do not think it will allow you to share files while trying to log into the computer as an administrator. Of course, I'm not as versed in Windows networking as I am other forms, and it took me about 30-40 minutes of futzing with things to finaly get it to work.

The issue I'd like to have resolved is how can I play the videos I've transferred from the 519 to my computer. When I try I get an Unsupported Codec error. I'm wondering if the share option only allows you to store 519 files on your computer, but not play them elsewhere. If that is the case, then it really sucks I can always burn a DVD and get the off that way, but it would be much nicer to transfer them this way.
    Quote Quote