VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I have spent almost 2 hours of looking though the different questions people have about their LG LRA-780, I couldn't find anyone with the same problem as me.

Problem:
    I want to transfer some recorded TV to a DVD-R or RW or really anything! I can record to disk however I'm only able to watch on the original DVD player. I have tried to finalize the disk without success. I have figured out that the disk requires that it be initailized in order to finalize. When going through the steps outlined in the instruction book, I am not able to "choose" initialize disk. The option is not "highlighted" so I can not choose to do that function.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?
    Was I suppose to "do something" before I started recording on the HDD?

Please any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an LRH-780, which should be similar to your model. Although the manual describes how to format a blank disc, the recorder actually does it automatically as soon as I insert a blank disc. DVD-RW's are auto-formatted in VR mode, and all others are in Video mode, so if I prefer the -RW in Video mode, I re-format as follows:
    "Setup - Disc Format - Video mode".

Finalizing seems to be automatic as well: Just turn the recorder off at the conclusion of recording to the disc, and it takes about a minute "Preparing a menu" before it shuts off. If I intend to play the disc on another player, I go to "Setup - Finalize Disc" prior to turning the recorder off, but I'm not sure this is necessary for -R /+RW discs.

Note, however, that even the finalized discs won't play on a couple of cheapie stand-alone players that I wasted my money on.

I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have tried to finalize the disk without success. I have figured out that the disk requires that it be initailized in order to finalize. When going through the steps outlined in the instruction book, I am not able to "choose" initialize disk.

You have to choose DVD on the HDD/DVD setting (either use the HDD/DVD button on the machine, or there's separate HDD DVD buttons on the remote). This will enable you to format/finalize the DVD. Kind of frustrating, but ...

For temporary stuff, I recommend using +RWs, if your other players can play them. DVD+VR is a more convenient format. It automatically finalises when you eject the disc (although you have to switch the HDD/DVD to DVD before you can eject).

BTW, I believe your machine is LRH-780, H being (I assume) HDD. All the A models I've seen are disc only recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you...your right it is LRH-780, and I can't claim fat fingers as A and H are 4 keys apart!

I will try the suggestions of switching to DVD using the DVD/HDD button. I will let people know if it's that easy!

Thank you again!

tnk
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    obs was right
    >>>>You have to choose DVD on the HDD/DVD setting (either use the HDD/DVD button on the machine, or there's separate HDD DVD buttons on the remote). This will enable you to format/finalize the DVD. Kind of frustrating, but ...

Thank you very much!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having similar problems. I can transfer the files from my LRH-780 hard disk to a DVD-RW. Once on the DVD-RW, I can play them on the DVR. My problem is that I want to import the video onto my laptop using Adebe Premiere Elements. The program recognizes there is a file on the DVD but I can not get the video images.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan
    Quote Quote