VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't seen much information about the LG BD390 posted.
    I've been using one for about a month so if you have any questions about it's capabilities I'll try to provide the answers.
    It does play HD x264 or HD Divx in the MKV container.
    You can either burn them to a DVDR/RW or plug in an external USB hard drive using the USB 2.0 port on the front.
    It recognizes FAT32 AND NTFS formatted hard drives. I use a 1 TB Western Digital MyBook and it sees all of it.
    The browsing interface is similar to Windows. You can choose three different views. The smaller the icon the more titles can be seen on the screen. The remote control lets you scroll one title at a time or a page at a time.
    I don't know how many characters of the file name are displayed, but I would say at least 50 and if it can't all be displayed it slowly scrolls through the complete name including the suffix.
    It plays mp3, ac3, dts, and aac audio formats. Vorbis is not supported.
    Subtitle support is it's weak point so far. Maybe firmware upgrades will address the problems in the future.
    SRT has the best support. It can be external or in the MKV container. Works great. Good sync.
    The font could be a little bolder with more of a black outline, but it's easy to read in most cases.
    IDX/SUB is only supported externally. Both files must have the same name as the video.
    IDX/SUB support is weak. The font is all white and has no black outline so it becomes invisible at times.
    The timing is also terrible. They come up late and stay on the screen for a fixed length of time or until the next title is due.
    This is a big disappointment because when I back up my DVDs the subs are in this format. Converting them to SRT is very time consuming.
    The only other sub format I've experiment with is the ASS format. (who picked that name? <g>)
    These look great on a computer because you can pick the display font.
    This format doesn't appear to be supported at all.
    Those are the only subs I use so I can't say if any others are supported.
    This is the info I couldn't find anywhere before the purchase so I thought I would post it first.

Andor1999
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you tried the player with AVCHD discs?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sampalmer21
    Have you tried the player with AVCHD discs?
    I've tried several and they played fine.
    Both single and dual layer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. great, I really wanted to get this player for the mkv support and the avchd.

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the only Bluray player I know of that recognizes NTFS formatted hard drives.
    If there is another would you please post the model, start a thread, or point me to an existing discussion.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello:

I just released my first post, and may not have sent it to the right place. I copy it below, given your helpful post about the LG BD390 player that I am having an issue with. Thanks for any advice or comments.

I am a newbie to this terrific site and to the gear that I am asking about. I cannot view .mts files (imported from a Canon Vixia HFS-10 camcorder) on a flash drive that I plug into the USB port on my blu-ray player (the LG BD390). I am able to view these files on my pc, which I imported using the software (Pixela) that came bundled with the Canon camcorder. But, after I copy these files to the flash drive (SanDisk Cruzer) they appear as empty folders when I try to view them on the blu-ray player.

The LG BD390 player does not read .mts files, but the manual says it it is compatible with most other video and audio files. So, I then tried a few .mts converters, and converted the .mts data to various compatible file formats. But, nothing worked, and the file folders on the blu-ray still say empty.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I am asking only about copying to and viewing from a flash drive, and not DVD disc conversion.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jakeworld,

I downloaded a small mts file from a Panasonic HDC-SD1 video camera.
    Let me do a little experimenting and I'll let you know what I find.
    I've got quite a few conversion programs. One of them should work.
    If you are able to post a short sample from your camera that would be a big help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    andor1999 - I don't own the LG player, but I just noticed this thread. It was very thoughtful of you to provide such a detailed post on MKV support and I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

Subtitle support seems about on par with my first generation WD TV media player. SRT are the only subs I've been able to get to work reliably 100% of the time with the WD player. The WD unit and the LG may use the same Sigma Designs chip.

ASS actually means Advanced Sub Station Alpha. I guess someone with a 3rd grade sense of humor thought that ASS was funnier than ASSA.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jakeworld
    Hello:

The LG BD390 player does not read .mts files, but the manual says it it is compatible with most other video and audio files. So, I then tried a few .mts converters, and converted the .mts data to various compatible file formats. But, nothing worked, and the file folders on the blu-ray still say empty.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I am asking only about copying to and viewing from a flash drive, and not DVD disc conversion.

Thanks in advance.
    Jakeworld,

I tried the mts file and as you said the BD390 does not "see" it.
    Then I changed the suffix from mts to mkv and it recognized it and played find. Picture and audio.
    Give it a try on your file.
    I couldn't believe the fix could be so simple, but looking at the mts file with Mediainfo shows it uses the H264 codec and AC3 audio.
    That is your typical MKV video file.
    Let me know how it works for you.

Andor1999
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    andor1999 - I don't own the LG player, but I just noticed this thread. It was very thoughtful of you to provide such a detailed post on MKV support and I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

Subtitle support seems about on par with my first generation WD TV media player. SRT are the only subs I've been able to get to work reliably 100% of the time with the WD player. The WD unit and the LG may use the same Sigma Designs chip.

ASS actually means Advanced Sub Station Alpha. I guess someone with a 3rd grade sense of humor thought that ASS was funnier than ASSA.
    jman98,

Thanks for the info. I suspect you are correct about the chip set.
    I'm learning to live with SRT. I just wish there was an easier way to move the text position.
    Sometimes it covers other text or action on the screen.
    I love this BD390 and think it's of of the best HD solutions to date. Prices keep dropping too.
    I'm surprised there haven't been more questions. LG does a terrible job of marketing it's features.
    Their website doesn't even say it's DivX-HD certified or that it has USB 2.0 that recognizes NTFS drives.
    That should be in bold print on their front page.

Andor1999
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andor1999
    Originally Posted by jakeworld
    Hello:

Thanks in advance.
    Jakeworld,

I tried the mts file and as you said the BD390 does not "see" it.
    Then I changed the suffix from mts to mkv and it recognized it and played find. Picture and audio.
    Give it a try on your file.
    I couldn't believe the fix could be so simple, but looking at the mts file with Mediainfo shows it uses the H264 codec and AC3 audio.
    That is your typical MKV video file.
    Let me know how it works for you.

Andor1999
    FYI: I got a private reply from jakeworld and renaming the suffix to mkv also worked for him.

Andor1999
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To play M2TS files on the BD390. You must have a file extension of M2TS. Any other file extension and it won't recognize the file.

MKV support. It will NOT play h.264 MKV files that have a reference frames of less than 3. Such as reference frames of 2.

It will play a M2TS file with H.264 support with reference frames of 2, however NOT in MKV containers.

At least on my BD390 it won't. I have tried muxing using about 5 different MKV muxing programs. That is what I have noticed.

But for those of you that I read where you weren't getting it to read MTS files. Thats because they need to have the file extension be M2TS.

TGC

I have also noticed that it will NOT play any M2TS file or MKV file where the video was encoded with the VC-1 codec.

The advantage to MKV files is that the BD390 will do Slo-mo, as well as forward/reverse scan with MKV files & it won't do it with M2TS files.
    Quote Quote  
  13. OK so if your like me you want to watch a video .mkv or whatever and it isn't showing up on the BD-390 when you search the "My Media" option to stream the file from your computer. Well all is not lost. The BD-390 will play your .mkv it just can't see it. So go to your computer and change the file extension to .avi and then rescan the server in the "My Media" option. Now the LG BD-390 will be able to see and also play your .mkv file. This trick may work for other video file types. Hope that helps....someone....
    Quote Quote  
  14. 20th Feb 2010 the last post
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    20th Feb 2010 the last post
    I complain a LOT around here about newbies adding needlessly to old threads, but I think that justpostingthisonce's post is OK in this case since it does add potentially helpful information to the thread.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for a player that lets me burn an MKV video to a DVD-R disc and play it on the TV screen. This sounds like it might work. Do you just burn the MKV to the DVDR as data?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lots of players do this. Check the players list and just use "mkv" in the search....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    any of you had prob with sound on mkv files on the BD390? some mkv files with DTS sound gets kind of scratshy on my bd player but plays fine on my pc while others play fine on the bd player. al are mkv files video: H264 - mpeg-4 AVC
    audio: DTS audio, chan: 3F2R/LFE
    Quote Quote