1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fixing AVI with VBR audio using VirtualDub

Open file in GSpot to see what kind of file you're dealing with

Open file in Virtualdub and click OK

Under Audio, choose Full Processing Mode and click compression

Choose No Compression [PCM] and click OK

Click File and choose Save Wav

Choose a folder and name to save the Wave file to (preferrably your working folder)

In VirtualDub, click Audio and choose Wav Audio

Find the Wav file that you saved earlier and click Open

Click Audio, Compression

Select compression of choice

Click Video, Direct Stream Copy

Click File, Save AVI and choose the folder and filename you want to use

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This seems a rather long way round. I'd suggest taking note of the new CBR bitrate recommended by Virtualdub, choosing Full Processing Mode for audio, Direct Stream Copy for video. Then choose Compression (not No Compression as recommended here) and elect to compress using Lame to the recommended CBR bitrate. Write the newly commpressed audio and the original video out as an AVI with a different name and the job is done -- except that you might then have to adjust the sync using, say, MPC. But you might have to do this anyway using the longer intermediate WAV method suggested here.

I think older versions of VirtualDub had a bug that made the intermediate WAV method mandatory, but that's fixed now in version 1.9.0.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you notice that this post is six years old? It is also in the Test forum.

VBR MP3 is no longer a problem with Virtualdub and hasn't been for a while now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    > Did you notice that this post is six years old? It is also in the Test forum.

I did. But I believe that old posts need to be amended where approriate. Otherwise the information is misleading. A lot of folks see this stuff.

VBR MP3 is no longer a problem with Virtualdub and hasn't been for a while now.

VBR isn't a problem with VirtualDub. It is a problem with many standalone players. VirtualDub is how you fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This was a test thread. Not a guide. No need to pull up a test thread that was never intended for public eyes.

What in the post was misleading anyway? Six years ago, this was the way to fix VBR. Now, all you have to do is open the file with Virtualdub, direct stream copy the video and save the audio as CBR MP3. Six years ago, that method would not have worked because Virtualdub did not support VBR audio at the time.

Maybe you should write a guide and post it if you think everyone is having problems with VBR audio these days. Wouldn't want them to be mislead by a 6 year old post that you felt you had to drum up.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote