VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First, this is my first posting to your forums, so I hope that I have chosen the right forum and my subject is clear and sufficiently specific.

I live in France. We live in the country, in a forest clearing, so the only way we can receive TV signals is from a satellite dish and its associated reception box (sorry, I don't know what is its correct label).

We have bought a Yamada 9300HX DVR. (It has a section in English in the User's manual).

So far, instead the previous setup of connecting directly from SRB to TV, using a SCART cable from the satellite reception box (SRB for short) TV socket to the TV, I have connected (again using SCART cables) from the SRB TV socket to the DVR Decoder socket and from the DVR TV socket to the TV.

Update: We can watch the TV channels without problem, so the signal is being transfered from satellite to SRB to DVR to TV.

Now, a DVD disk plays and displays on the TV with no problem.
    However, using the DVR handset, SETUP>VIDEO/Channel Scan is finding no channels.

How do I set up the satellite input, SRB and DVR so that the DVR can find TV signals from the satellite input with Channel Scan, so I can record programs.
    (For your information, we wish to record the upcoming Tour de France competition. The broadcasts are most afternoons, which rather disrupts work and other life activities.)

Thank you for your help, I hope this question is clear enough. If it is not, I am very happy/willing to answer any questions and to try and clarify things.

TM
    Quote Quote  
  2. Salut l'ami !, unfortunately you will not be able to achieve what you're trying. The channel scan works with cable only, not with set-top boxes such as satelite or digital cable box.

The best you can do is set the box to the channel you want to record and set the timer on the right source. You might want to check if your box allows you to set timers to change channels, then set your pvr timers accordingly, basically setting up two timers, it's a pain, but it's the only way, that's what I do with my cable box.

à la prochaine, prends soin. ("till next time, take care).

CC
    Quote Quote  
  3. Salut! Je suis très reconnaissante de recevoir votre réponse. ^_^

Même qu'il y a des ans, j'ai eu un enregistreur VHS, je ne sais rien de tout des DVRs. Et mon français n'est pas suffisamment bon pour demander de l'aide en français - désolé.

OK...
    I'm in a confusion.
    1. I have to turn everything off fairly regularly, as we are subject to frequent thunderstorms (a 'benefit' of being warmed by African winds). Now when I turn on the DVR, it is managing to
    a. show the correct time;
    b.plays the French channels from the French satellite signal/box, when the DVR is sent to SCART.

I have managed to record to the internal HDD via this SCART input setting. However, I am recording picture only. I shall verify (not now - gotta go strimming rampant vegetation while we're permitted to make noise) that I have the correct audio cables going to the correct places. Now this is a bit like Monk's 'jungle out there' to me.

However, beyond that I'm vraiement confusée - what is a PVR? (This shows my level of ignorance, I know.)

When I have sorted the sound, I shall try to learn the DVR Timer settings. (I have checked, the box to 'unscrabble' the satellite signal does not have a timer - sigh - so that will limit me further.)

Thanks for your patience - I suppose now, more than anything else, I'm just wanting my hand held a bit so as to feel a bit brave about communicating with this strange beastie.

A la prochaine

The Muddler
    Quote Quote  
  4. My bad, a "pvr" is a personal video recorder", in other words a hardrive recorder without the optical drive.

The "dvr" is a "digital video recorder", the label that's commonly used to refer to what we have, a hardrive recorder with optical drive and is also known as a "poor man's pvr" because the user is required more hands-on management of the recorder compared to the features in a pvr (TIVO for instance).

Yes, I agree you should look to see if your audio cables are in the proper input and also verify that you are choosing the appropriate source when recording. These units do have a learning curve to them but quite easy once you get familiar with it. Sorry to hear that you don't have any timer on your box.

Come back if you have any other questions, a lot of helpful people here.

Take care

CC
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi CC

Yay - everything sorted now - thanks for the hand-holding.

My amp has six inputs which totally confused me. Now I can hear the French satellite TV signal directly from its box, or via the DVR - ouch, my head goes fizz.

As for PVR - well that is something that is beyond my ken out here in the depths of French forest. There ain't no such thing as TIVO here, I'm not sure whether such anglo-saxon inventions exist here.

So thanks for your help and now to work out how to dump from the HDD to my computer ^_^

TM
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the oddest problem with my Yamada DVR 9300 HX. Would appreicate some help. All region free DVD's (bootlegs) play well on the DVD including audio. While DVD's from region 1 and 2 (I do not have anyother) give a odd audio problem. I can hear all the back ground music and noise, except for the dialouges. I assumed that this was maybe because it was not region free, so I tried the Angle 1234 Source 0 hack , but still no luck.
    I am sure there is a problem with the audio settings, or maybe it is locked in some sort of dubbing mode, but I just can not get out of it !
    Recorded material from the TV is okay, but the image qualilty is very weak.
    I would highly appreciate any help here.

PS: I have had it for over one year, but used my old DVD player for playing the discs, since the old dvd passed away, I am depended on the YAMADA to play movies.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If I remember correctly the Yamada is a Liteon clone (same aluminum case as the ILO HD04). The region free hack for the HD04 is:

Press SETUP
    Cursor down and sit on EXIT
    Press on remote 2960
    Hidden region menu appears
    Choose "free" or "0" (can't remember which one shows up)
    Press EXIT

Being a clone this might work.

As for the image quality, it might be your video setting, if you are watching TV through the Yamada, set the video at HQ. The output will be at the quality of your setting.

It can also be the strenght of the incoming signal (splitters will also reduce the strenght of the signal) and/or the type of A/V cables your are using.

You might also want to research any firmware updates for your model.

After a bit of research, the Yamada 9300 was manufactured with two different tuners (Samsung and Philips).
    Found this sit that has picures showing how to recognize the different tuners (2 different firmwares) and explains how to burn and load the firmware. Scroll down to DVD recorders.

http://www.umax.de/support/yamfaqsUS.php

Hope this helps

CC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lalanifa
    I have the oddest problem with my Yamada DVR 9300 HX. Would appreicate some help. All region free DVD's (bootlegs) play well on the DVD including audio. While DVD's from region 1 and 2 (I do not have anyother) give a odd audio problem. I can hear all the back ground music and noise, except for the dialouges. I assumed that this was maybe because it was not region free, so I tried the Angle 1234 Source 0 hack , but still no luck.
    I am sure there is a problem with the audio settings, or maybe it is locked in some sort of dubbing mode, but I just can not get out of it !
    Recorded material from the TV is okay, but the image qualilty is very weak.
    I would highly appreciate any help here.

PS: I have had it for over one year, but used my old DVD player for playing the discs, since the old dvd passed away, I am depended on the YAMADA to play movies.
    First, you should start your own thread, not threadjack someone elses for a totally different problem.

Second, you shouldn't dig up a 6+ month old thread.

Both are against the rules (which you should have read before posting).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote