VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, after some searching and not finding a definitive answer...

I have a friend who's thinking of finally upgrading from a VHS to HDD recorder to record OTA HD content. I've read that HDD PVR cable boxes can record HD content, but are there any standalones that can record OTA signals in HD? Most of the posts I've read are kind of old so is there any new information out there?
    "*sigh* Warned you, we tried. Listen, you did not. Now SCREWED, we all will be!" ~Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other than some old units, the forthcoming Echostar TR50 is the only non-sub. OTA HD recorder on the horizon (OTA only)... if they ever release it. It won CES2008 product of the year award. AVS has a thread on it here.

For HDTV passthru but SDTV recording, click my signature.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yup I've been waiting to see the TR50 despite being a Dishnetwork Subscriberso I can record Locals without tying up the HD DVR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are no HDD DVD Recorders can can capture HD streams. The can only down-convert to SD. If you want to go with computer capture of OTA HD then there are a number of options out there. Comes in 2 flavors, USB2 devices and internal capture cards. Have experience with the MyHD MDP-130 (excellent) and the DViCo Fusion USB2 device (solid). Just giving you other options and things to think about to achieve what you are ultimately looking for. If computer is not an option, then Dish device may be what you are looking for, when it is released. Dont know if it will allow you to archive the HD capture though through USB or firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There's a Panasonic Blu-ray recorder on the horizon, if you want to spend $2000-$3000, or there's HD TiVo.
    Quote Quote