VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know where I can get a firmware disk for a Pioneer DVR-533H?

I'm replacing the hard drive because it failed. I've tried the ISO files (pioneer4.zip and pioneer(533).zip) from pioneerfaq.info, but they do not work. I found PIONEER.DVR-X3XH.nrg on Bittorrent and DVR loaded it, but even though it no longer complains of a Hard Drive Error, the Timer Record now says "Cannot complete this operation now".

Please let me know if you have any information at all. I don't care about regions, since I don't use this to play DVDs, and don't care about TV Guide. I just want to use Timer Recording. I dread sending this thing back to Pioneer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jjmdtw
    Does anyone know where I can get a firmware disk for a Pioneer DVR-533H?

I'm replacing the hard drive because it failed. I've tried the ISO files (pioneer4.zip and pioneer(533).zip) from pioneerfaq.info, but they do not work. I found PIONEER.DVR-X3XH.nrg on Bittorrent and DVR loaded it, but even though it no longer complains of a Hard Drive Error, the Timer Record now says "Cannot complete this operation now".

Please let me know if you have any information at all. I don't care about regions, since I don't use this to play DVDs, and don't care about TV Guide. I just want to use Timer Recording. I dread sending this thing back to Pioneer.
    I don't think PIONEER.DVR-X3XH.nrg is for region 1 533H. I remember reading somewhere that it was actually the region 2 firmware. You can check the firmware on the device and see what it says. If it says 1.xx, then it still has the US firmware revision. If it starts with 3.xx, then it's the region 2 firmware.

Also, if it says 1.xx, can you verify if the firmware is 1.27 or different? I have the same exact problems as you and my firmware version is 1.30. I am suspecting the isos don't work for firmware versions other than 1.27 but I have so far not been able to confirm it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Several people have been experiencing problems when trying to upgrade or replace their hard drives on the 533. I suspect there may be some validity to the theory that the current iso's do not work with recorders having firmware beyond version 1.27 My recorder is a 531 with firmware 1.27, it accepts both the Pioneer4.iso and the pion533.iso. but will not accept an .iso created from a recorder with firmware version 1.30, one caveat, the .iso I tried may have been corrupted since it came from a recorder that was experiencing problems.

To settle the issue, we need to have someone with a working 533 recorder and firmware version 1.30 to create a 4Mb iso from it and post it at Hkan's Pioneer Faq site. The procedure to do this is at:

http://pioneerfaq.info/filer/DVR-630/pioneer_file_extract.pdf

Urundai or jjmdtw could then try it in their recorder and we'd have the answer. At present, changing firmware is not an option since it is not publicly available for Region 1 recorders.

Corona
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Corona
    Several people have been experiencing problems when trying to upgrade or replace their hard drives on the 533. I suspect there may be some validity to the theory that the current iso's do not work with recorders having firmware beyond version 1.27 My recorder is a 531 with firmware 1.27, it accepts both the Pioneer4.iso and the pion533.iso. but will not accept an .iso created from a recorder with firmware version 1.30, one caveat, the .iso I tried may have been corrupted since it came from a recorder that was experiencing problems.

To settle the issue, we need to have someone with a working 533 recorder and firmware version 1.30 to create a 4Mb iso from it and post it at Hkan's Pioneer Faq site. The procedure to do this is at:

http://pioneerfaq.info/filer/DVR-630/pioneer_file_extract.pdf

Urundai or jjmdtw could then try it in their recorder and we'd have the answer. At present, changing firmware is not an option since it is not publicly available for Region 1 recorders.

Corona
    I had the drive replaced by Pioneer because nothing else worked. Before powering up for the first time, I extracted the firmware. I put it on a different HDD, and it worked. I have this file safely stored away for the day the USED drive (idiots at Pioneer) fails. I'm not sure what version it is, but can check tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jjmdtw

I had the drive replaced by Pioneer because nothing else worked. Before powering up for the first time, I extracted the firmware. I put it on a different HDD, and it worked. I have this file safely stored away for the day the USED drive (idiots at Pioneer) fails. I'm not sure what version it is, but can check tomorrow.
    A simple method to determine Firmware version on your recorder is as follows:

Via the remote, from the Home Menu, go to Initial Setup, then select Audio
    Out, select Digital Out, highlight the "On" setting (i.e. don't click enter
    just make sure it is highlighted), then press the Angle button, the firmware
    versions are now shown.

If in fact your recorder has Firmware version 1.30 or later, it will cure the repair/ upgrade hdd problem for a host of 533 recorder owners should you decide to make a copy available to Hkan. There is still a point of confusion (probably my fault), when you make an .iso from your drive, that is not the firmware, it is the executable program residing therein and executed by your recorders firmware that installs TVG and Timer Record. Normally all the required info is stored on the first 4mb of the drive. No doubt, I contributed to the confusion when writing Part 4 of the Pioneer Faq and called for storing .iso's in a directory called Firmware.

Corona
    Quote Quote  
  6. http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/dvr630.php is now updated with the correct info for US/Canadian DVR-531/533/633 that comes with firmware version 1.30 and subsequent. Thank you jjmdtw. Make sure you get version 3.5 of the Guide. Always check for latest version.
    Pioneer FAQ http://pioneerfaq.info : Please visit the sponsors
    @Twitter
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hkan
    http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/dvr630.php is now updated with the correct info for US/Canadian DVR-531/533/633 that comes with firmware version 1.30 and subsequent. Thank you jjmdtw. Make sure you get version 3.5 of the Guide. Always check for latest version.
    If anyone has luck with my extracted code, please send me a quick PM to let me know it worked for you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Pioneer 533H with the same problem as well. I installed a new HD successfully only to find that the Timer Recording function no longer is available. I tried all three the ISO files available for region 1 models with no luck.

I can't even find another 533H to buy to extract the firmware from.

I scoured the net for days for a solution and was unable to find one.

Since this thread is hasn't been updated in a while I thought I'd see if there has been anyway to get the 1.30 version of the firmware in order to restore the timer recording function.

Thanks
    Quote Quote