VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    as some of you might already know, it's possible to record programs from your settop cable box to your computer via the firewire port on your cable box (if it's enabled). well, my cable company here in Toronto (Rogers) has recently enabled this via their recent firmware updates...recording is of course limited to those stations/programs that are not "encrypted" but recording of SD/HD channels that are not "flagged" is possible.

now, i've set up my computer & STB via firewire using these generic TV Tuner firewire drivers and following this guide and I'm able to capture all of the SD channels and only a couple HD channels, the rest of the "unencrypted" channels have serious artifacts and/or pixelation. Now the thing that I'm trying to figure out is a guy who lives in the same area as me is able to capture all of the "unencrypted" channels flawlessly...but he's on a Mac. (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17649190) So, what I'm wondering is, is this more likely anything a Windows driver problem? and if so, does anyone know of any other drivers that could/might work or things that I have to change? I'm on WinXP SP2. I was thinking of trying Win2000 to see if the drivers have better compatibility but I don't wanna go through all that hassle for nothing. Also, the cable box I'm using is a SA3250HD.

And at last, here is a screenshot of a glorious 1080i broadcast that I recorded....
    http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5001/vlcsnap251249px2.jpg [/url][/url]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have Windows XP SP2 and I doing EXACTLY what you are talking about with the same drivers to record directly via firewire from a digital cable box. The quality of my HD captures is outstanding. It might be an issue with your cable company or the box. I only have seen one HD channel with my company that has pixelation at times and it's not one I'm interested in recording. Everything else is clean. I don't think using a Mac or moving to Windows 2000 is going to solve your problem since I don't have it using the same drivers and OS as you. One of my friends who lives in another part of my city has the exact same cable company as me and he bitterly complains about his poor quality reception with his cable box. It could be an issue with your box or just where you live there might be problems with the signal. My friend had to call the cable company a bunch of times before he finally reached someone who wasn't a moron and they sent someone out to his house. The repair guy had to do some work on some of the equipment in the neighborhood to fix this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure your firewire cable is of good quality and not too long. The PQ should be no worse than what you're seeing on your TV. I have heard of a lot of people having trouble capturing from their Scientific Atlanta boxes, however, so your friend may have one of the "good" ones while you have a "bad" one. If you suspect this, bring it into your cable company's local customer service center and exchange it for another one, hoping for better results. It's worked for me before.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried both the STB's in my house and both have the same results. As for my signal...it's great, actually it's at the optimal strength so I don't think it's the STB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are lots of problems with firewire compatibility. Not all firewire devices work well with all firewire interface cards and cables. Retailers get an inordinate number of returns on firewire cards and cables due to incompatibility with digital cameras.

Try another interface in your system, preferably with a different chipset, and a quality cable.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videotape74
    as some of you might already know, it's possible to record programs from your settop cable box to your computer via the firewire port on your cable box (if it's enabled). well, my cable company here in Toronto (Rogers) has recently enabled this via their recent firmware updates...recording is of course limited to those stations/programs that are not "encrypted" but recording of SD/HD channels that are not "flagged" is possible.

now, i've set up my computer & STB via firewire using these generic TV Tuner firewire drivers and following this guide and I'm able to capture all of the SD channels and only a couple HD channels, the rest of the "unencrypted" channels have serious artifacts and/or pixelation. Now the thing that I'm trying to figure out is a guy who lives in the same area as me is able to capture all of the "unencrypted" channels flawlessly...but he's on a Mac. (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17649190) So, what I'm wondering is, is this more likely anything a Windows driver problem? and if so, does anyone know of any other drivers that could/might work or things that I have to change? I'm on WinXP SP2. I was thinking of trying Win2000 to see if the drivers have better compatibility but I don't wanna go through all that hassle for nothing. Also, the cable box I'm using is a SA3250HD.

And at last, here is a screenshot of a glorious 1080i broadcast that I recorded....
    http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5001/vlcsnap251249px2.jpg [/url][/url]
    I have WMC 2005
    I installed timmmoore drivers for my motorola stb.
    I disabled the "unknown" device {as per some instructions} and have both devices as "imaging devices":
    motorola av/c panel device (dct-3412) &
    motorola tuner av/c device (dct-3412)
    --------
    when I plug in the firewire cable WMC starts windows movie maker and when its supposedly going to start recording I get a message that says .... insert tape...

I also tried winDV, selected the "motorola av/c tuner device" and when I click "capture" and I get a "error: can't find dv output pin" message.

--------
    anyone have suggestions? my stb is actually a dct-3416-I but supposedly the 3412 should be compatible...

Thanks for your help...
    Quote Quote