VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a tip for all of you that bought an AVCHD Camcorder and want to edit the footage in Premiere without first rendering it to an intermediate codec.

Tools nedded:
    Avisynth - Intsall
    PremiereAVSplugin - Copy the "IM-Avisynth.prm" in to the Premiere plugins folder. For Premiere Pro 2, thats: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0\Plug-ins\en_US

*You'll also need an AVCHD directshow codec installed. If you don't have one, you can use the latest QTalternative
    * You'll also need to install Haali Media Splitter.

1) Create a script like this:
    DirectShowSource("myclip.MTS") #use the name of the clip

2) Import the AVS script into Premiere just like any other asset. It will show as Sqare pixels by default. Just Right-click on the AVS script and choose "Interpert Footage" Change to "anamorphic 1440 x 1080".

3) Edit at will.............

I tried it with some downloaded clips from a Panasonic AVCHD Camera. It works fine on my AMD 3800x2. Slight stuttering, but nothing major.............
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hello, Maybe Im misunderstanding your entry. I installed the Avisynth but I cant find the file "IM-Avisynth.prm"

I own a panasonic HD Cam and Id like to edit my content in Premiere CS3.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you have found it by now but you download the PremiereAVSplugin from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105017&package_id=116722
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using premiere cs3

Almost have it working I think but have a few problems with this article maybe someone can help.
    I followed the above info installed Avisynth installed PremiereAVSplugin and the IM-Avisynth.prm installed Haali media splitter. Only part that didnt make sence and I couldnt find more info on was the AVCHD direct show codec install.
    Where can I find this?

It didnt quite work.
    I made a script to my shot with AVSedit and imported it. I got an error message:

Avisynth configuration error
    old avisynth version please do a fresh install at a recent version of avysynth

I close the error message and the clip comes in black I right click and interpret footage and the only option is HD anomorphic 1080 (1:33)
    The clip is still blank although it shows up in premiere. Uneditable.

1st question: When I set the project I have a HD folder but no presets for it. Do I need to set a custom setting for the project. the only presets that I have are the standard NTSC PAL standard stuff. Are there presets out there for the AVCHD projects

2nd Question: What is the error message? did I miss a step or forget a plugin

3rd question: If all goes well one day and this works and I edit some stuff what are the options now for exporting, burning to disc, etc etc.

4th question: my clips are m2ts clips does this change anything?

As you can tell Im a newbie at this but willing to learn.
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tested above method with CS3 and it worked like a charm. About version problem (question number 1 above), reinstall avisynth with newer version (i used aug08) and it disapears.

very good solution for those who dont want to work with vegas and dont want to go thru all the conversion problems (space and time).

tks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. What is the point of the Haali Media Splitter? every time a play a video it opens and there is no way of controlling it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DirectShow needs an MTS file reader/splitter to open MTS files. That's what Haali Media Splitter is for.

You should be able to use ffdshow to decode the AVC video data. Or CoreAVC if you want to spend a few dollars.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's also the option of DGavcdecNV , which (if you have an Nvidia card) will use the GPU on the video card for decoding the AVCHD file. This could work pretty well for the original subject of feeding Avisynth files to Premiere. See this post for specifics:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic357041.html

CS4 of Premiere is supposed to support AVCHD natively.
    Quote Quote  
  9. maybe its not working because i don't have the AVCHD directshow codec installed. can any one post a link to it?

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  10. I already gave links to two DirectShow AVC decoders: CoreAVC Pro, ffdshow. You can also use a player with a built in AVC decoder: MPCHC, VLC, KMPlayer, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. k, i finally got it working. thanks a lot for your help guys but i have one other question. the quality if the imported video is very shitty and interlaced looking. is there any way i can import the video the same quality as it was filmed? or do i just have to export is in a cretin format to get the best quality?

thanks a million
    Quote Quote  
  12. I think what you have is exactly what was filmed -- interlaced video. You should shoot in progressive mode (if your camcorder has it) if you don't want interlaced video.
    Quote Quote  
  13. For some reason, I can't seem to make the AviSynth import filter in Premiere CS4. Anybody else having the same problem? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gecko672
    Using premiere cs3

4th question: my clips are m2ts clips does this change anything?
    I think my situation is the same as gecko's....I've got m2ts files too & cannot yet see it.

I've followed the instructions from the 1st post. All works fine except the script file only has the audio component & not the video.

As well, the "Interpret Footage" command on the script file is greyed out.

What's missing or is it coz its an m2ts & not an mts file?

Currently, i've got the script file in the same folder as teh media files which is a subfolder of the Premiere files. Does this make a difference?

Alex
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well....to some degree this explains my problem....

HDD camcorders don't record in MPEG2. They record in AVCHD (aka MPEG4 part 10 aka H.264).
    I think the "m2ts" file extension is throwing you off...
    The format of the file is "MPEG2 Terrestrial Stream" (thus M2 T S). This is a capsule, the same way as AVI and MOV are. Inside that capsule are two steams - the Video (H.264) and the Audio (MPEG1-part 2 I think).

So no, you can't directly edit the video stream inside the m2ts file because it's H.264 and H.264 isn't supported in Premiere (if you don't have the Main Concept plugin).
    Quote Quote  
  16. When using DirectShowSource() AviSynth is asking Windows' DirectShow subsystem to do all the file parsing, stream splitting, and audio/video decompression. If you can open your M2TS (or whatever) file with Windows Media Player then you have everything necessary for DirectShowSource() to work. If WMP will not play the file then you need to find and install the appropriate file reader, file splitter, and/or codecs.

Since you are getting sound but no picture you probably just need a DirectShow decoder for the video. ffdshow includes MPEG 2 and h.264 decoders.

If you can't get DirectShowSource() working you should try DgMpgDec (MPEG 2) or DgAvcDec (h.264). Run DgIndex or DgAvcIndex, and then use Mpeg2Source() or AvcSource() in the Avisynth script.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hI Jagabo,

Thanks for the reply. I've actually already downloaded & installed ffdshow along w/ the instructions given.

Is there something specific i have to do w/ ffdshow? With no instructions on configuration of it, i installed it & left the defaults as installed.

The AVIsync script that i used is in a file named *.avs....is this correct?

The contents are: "DirectShowSource("1st night dive.m2ts")"

...without the 1st set of quotes & where the file name is: 1st night dive.m2ts
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by wrazoru
    I've actually already downloaded & installed ffdshow along w/ the instructions given.

Is there something specific i have to do w/ ffdshow? With no instructions on configuration of it, i installed it & left the defaults as installed.
    You should use MediaInfo to determine the exact contents of your video. Assuming it's h.264 video select Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> Video Decoder Configuration. In the left pane select Codecs. In the right pane locate H.264/AVC and make sure it is enabled (libavcodec).

I have seen instances where even though the h.264 video plays with WMP AviSynth's DirectShowSource() still doesn't work correctly. This is usually caused by an incompatibility between the file splitter and the h.264 decoder. This is much harder to fix as you have to determine what file splitter and decoders are being used, disable one or both, and locate different ones to use in their place.

Originally Posted by wrazoru
    The AVIsync script that i used is in a file named *.avs....is this correct?
    Yes.

Originally Posted by wrazoru
    The contents are: "DirectShowSource("1st night dive.m2ts")"
    That will work fine as long as the M2TS file is in the same folder as the AVS script. The fact that you are getting something (sound) rather than an error message indicates the script name and file name are correct.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Jagabo,

Great news....all is working now.

What you posted was just what i needed i guess. i had to reinstall the same version of AVIsync to get rid of 1 error message & then I could see both my video & audio files. & i can now choose "Interpret Footage" to 1080(1.33)

THe video files run really really slow tho....guess that could be coz of the high pixel data & plus i'm running off a Duo 1.8GHz cpu w/ only 3Gb of RAM.

Less anyone can shed some light on that...

Thanks again Jagabo!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by wrazoru
    What you posted was just what i needed i guess. i had to reinstall the same version of AVIsync to get rid of 1 error message & then I could see both my video & audio files. & i can now choose "Interpret Footage" to 1080(1.33)

THe video files run really really slow tho....guess that could be coz of the high pixel data & plus i'm running off a Duo 1.8GHz cpu w/ only 3Gb of RAM.
    If you mean seeking within Premiere is slow, that's to be expected with h.264 and long GOPs. Playback of the AVS script in a media players is likely to be poor too.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there!

I'm new using Premiere CS3 and I'm trying to import some AVCHD files, I own a Sony SR-11 camcoder. I followed all your instructios with the avisynth but I get lost when I have to create the script. How do I do that?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by tangosalon
    I get lost when I have to create the script. How do I do that?
    Start Notepad. Type in the script text. Save as... FileName.AVS.

Or:

Start AvsP. Drag your source file to the AvsP window. Add any other script commands you want. Save Script As... FileName.AVS.

If you put the script in the same folder as the source video you don't need to specify the entire path:

Code:
    DirectShowSource("filename.m2ts")
    If the script is in a different folder you have to specify the entire path:

Code:
    DirectShowSource("c:\path\to\my\videos\filename.m2ts")
    AvsP will include the full path so you can put the AVS script created by it anywhere you want.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm doing my best here, but still I can't make it work, when I try to import the AVS file, Adobe premiere stops working and automatically quits.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks for all your help, as I said, I'm a newbie...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Try opening your script with VirtualDub or one of the better media players (MPC, MPCHC, VLC, KMPlayer -- NOT MWP). Can you see the video? (Media players probably won't play smoothly but you should be able to see the image.)
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I can see the image with the VirtualDub, although there is no sound. The audio is not working.
    So...what should I do?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by tangosalon
    Yes, I can see the image with the VirtualDub, although there is no sound. The audio is not working.
    So...what should I do?
    Are you using DirectShowSource() to read your AVCHD file? In order for DirectShowSource() to read the file you will need all the appropriate DirectShow filters. You are getting video now which means you have the source splitter and an appropriate video (h.264?) decoder. Now you need an audio decoder. What is the audio? AAC? AC3? Ffdshow includes a AAC and AC3 decoders.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ racer-x,

thank you!
    I have been going crazy on the net searching for this.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone help? I tried the instructions in the first post and is like chineese I can't understand. Nothing is working for me.

Like it says "Copy the "IM-Avisynth.prm" in to the Premiere plugins folder" but where do I get this from?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Louie_Case
    Like it says "Copy the "IM-Avisynth.prm" in to the Premiere plugins folder" but where do I get this from?
    http://videoeditorskit.sourceforge.net/
    Follow the link to the SourceForge page
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jagabo, it's working but it's so red line that I have to render everytime to do anything. It's too sluggish and latent. I will have to go another route. Thanks for all your help.
    Quote Quote