VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

I humbly apologize for this long winded post. But I am desperate here. I will give all the details needed that I have available.

Firstly, Some time ago, my father bought me a DVR-220 Recorder. No HDD, just a DVD Player/Burner for my tv. It was a gift for my birthday.. It is the only dvd player I have ever owned. I am very proud of this recorder because he bought it for me. Four months after my birthday, my dad died of a heart attack... He was 62.

I realize this machine wasn't the best on the market from what folks have told me, but it was what my father could afford, and I didn't care about the money he spent on it. It has sentimental value that I cannot put a price on as you can imagine...

The drive inside it died. But everything else worked fine. Anyway, knowing something about electronics, I went to Pioneers website and ordered a new drive for it and a service manual. Well, Pioneer had no issue selling me the drive for $300 and the service manual. But then, after I install the drive and read the service manual, I find I have an issue with the "CPRM Error".

Obviously, after I installed the drive properly, it gets power, but has an "ID" issue... I think to myself, "Damn!"

Next step: I call Pioneer in California. They then inform me that I'm on my own as they won't sell me the GGF1381 service remote. I am then informed as well that the GGV1179 Data Disc that I need to set the stupid ID cannot be sold to me either! "What?"

They have no issue taking my money for a part, But won't sell me the other parts to make it work? Is this even legal? Selling someone a part just to make a profit, and then telling me I can't get the parts to activate it?

This seems wrong to me. If they don't want to sell me the stuff to fix it, then don't sell the parts to begin with in my opinion.

Anyway, on to the matter at hand. (Sorry, I don't mean to bore you folks with this. Please forgive me for it.)

I am very upset right now as I'm desperately trying to fix this machine. I am trying to find a good copy of this GGV1179 Data Disc that the service manual says I need, but cannot get.

I think I "might" have found the service remote online. But not sure yet. I'll have to check this out and get back to you guy's on the remote if your looking for one. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up for a false alarm on this stupid remote...

Thank you and I appreciate your help..
    Quote Quote  
  2. This thread about hard drive replacement for Pioneer DVD recorders has all the info you will need to be able to replace the burner drive in your unit...

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic253998.html

A few years ago I repaired the DVD burner in a Pioneer DVR-420H by replacing the lens reader assembly with one from a used consumer DVR-107 burner I got on eBay:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic253998-180.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    After reading the original post, I believe that since it states that this is just a DVD player/recorder with no hard drive that the first link in gshelley61's post won't help. That's for hard drive replacement. The 2nd link might be of some help though.

I do understand your attachment to it, but it looks like since your very expensive attempt at repair failed that you may have to pay a Pioneer service center to repair it for you. Note that at best, assuming you can find someone who can get it repaired and working, that you are just postponing the inevitable. DVD players/recorders aren't designed to last forever and eventually you will have more problems with it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The process for swapping the burner drive in the non-HDD units is the same as for replacing the hard drive (or burner drive) in the HDD units. A service remote and service disc are needed in order to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    In that case the 1st link should help. I took a quick glance and it seems to have ways to deal with the service remote and service disc issues.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, the service disc should still be available through P to P download and certain programmable universal remotes can easily be programmed to operate as the service remote. Reading through the thread thoroughly will reveal all. The second link was provided for folks who want to try repairing their burner drive instead of buying a new one from Pioneer for $300.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again,

I apologize it took me a bit to get back to the board.

I have been given a "possible" GGV1179 image of the original disc.. Only catch is, I am unable at this time to try it out as I'm waiting on the remote to be delivered. They say Monday delivery. (I ordered it for $45.99) But it sure as hell didn't come from Pioneer. It is the GGF1381 so I have been told. I want to make darn sure of it before I post the wharehouse it is coming from.

Post Edited.
    Quote Quote  
  8. First, calm down before you give yourself a stroke ! Seriously, my friend, the hardest thing to obtain is the burner, and you already have that. So don't make yourself needlessly crazy: the service remote and disc can be had one way or another even if it takes you another week or two. Its unfortunate that you are paying upwards of $400 in parts to fix this machine, I don't understand why Pioneer did not advise you to just send it in, or why they even sold you the part in the first place (they do not normally do that). But I do understand your sentimental attachment to the recorder- its irreplaceable to you.

At some point in the future you will have to brace yourself for the inevitable: it may break again. This particular model has a problem with its power supply, which burns out eventually depending how much you use the machine. Also, the DVD drive has a limited lifespan of 18 months to two years before it fails again. Both problems are fixable by the right person with the right tools. The power supply uses common parts, any skilled repairman can fix that if it fails. You already know how to replace the drive, when you have the service disc and remote you'll be all set. I urgently recommend you DO NOT discard the original "dead" burner: it contains a priceless circuit board that you can recycle in future when the new burner fails. Over the next few weeks, monitor eBay listings for a used Pioneer computer DVD drive, model DVR-107 or DVR-A07- in fact I saw a couple on there this week. Buy one, they sell for about $30-50, when you get it you can switch its controller board with the one inside your original burner and therefore create an inexpensive spare burner. I have done this many many times, as long as you have the service remote and disc this "swap-the-board" trick always works. Best of luck to you!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Orsetto,

Your right. I have been a bit anxious about this recorder. I kinda went into "panic mode" thursday night, when I was suddenly faced with the prospect that I just paid over $300 for a paperweight..

And it didn't help when my wonderful woman gave me that look.. You guy's know the look I'm sure. It's the "Nice going you lunk-head. Now we have an expensive doorstop!" look. lol

I called several service centers across the u.s and even one in Canada.. I was told by the last tech I spoke to that service centers do not repair DVD Recorders. This is only handled by Pioneer.. Hmmm, that's interesting to me in a way. It is my curious nature to ask why this is? After opening up my first DVD Recorder, I'm forced to think to myself, "Gee, this isn't rocket science in here." (as a side note, this would have been wonderful to know if tech #1 had told me this, thus saving me the phone bill.) lol

When looking in these things, there really isn't very much in there. Just a few boards, a drive and wires. Seems to me any repair tech can fix it. As you say, "if you have the right tools". And of course parts. I saw nothing in there that would make me feel like we needed to have NASA on speedial...

Although, I must admit. The first words out of my mouth the night the drive croaked was "Houston, we have a problem..." Of course, at that very moment it was probably appropriate given the fact that I had just inserted the movie "Space Cowboys". (true story, I kid you not.)

And I'm sure some of you would have loved to witness what my lady would later call "The grip of death" on my disc.. It went something like this...

I push eject button.

Drive ejects quickly, then closes again. (I hate a tease)

Me: Pushes eject. "Give me the disc."

Drive: No.

Me: pushes eject: "Damnit! Give me the stupid disc."

Drive won't eject: "let me make this clear. "Hell No!"

At this point, I go for the little key that you stick in the emergency eject hole.. I stick the key in to eject the disc... The drive opens a little, then slams shut like an oyster guarding a precious pearl.. At this point, I am no longer amused by my drives blatent disrespect to me..

I figure I should pull the stupid plug on it, and then I retrieved my Space Cowboys DVD. (Triumphant at last!)

Now, I realize that although this whole thing really comes across as comical.. It really wasn't at the time. Now however, I can look upon this adventure with a bit more humor.. I'm sure some of you poor guy's have had similiar experiences at least once in your life..

Before I end this post, Orsetto, That was the first thing I did when I removed the drive. I carefully undid the wiring to the board on the back of the drive, and remove it for safe keeping. I had no clue about the DVR-107 drive though. This info is invaluable to me. This is a great idea.

Heck of a lot cheaper than the drive I purchased. (VXX2926)

Seriously though, I want to thank everyone here for they're help. You folks are good people. And I will update as I can on this. I'm sure this will be fixed soon.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVR-220 repaired and fully functional.

I would like to thank Orsetto for his help and advice. It is people like Orsetto that make this forum as great as it is. Orsetto owed me nothing, yet found it in his heart to assist a stranger that Pioneer had told to take a flying leap.

Thank you Orsetto for everything you do to help people you don't even know.. We need more people like you in this world.

I would also like to thank the creators of this board and everyone who responded. For without this great forum, I would not have been able to repair my recorder. This is a wonderful forum filled with a great group of people.

Thank you for giving me back the gift, from a father to his son.

Sincerely,

Mike. P / Bagheera
    Yeah, I'm probably nuts... But what the hell. Nobody's perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think companies who make those DVD recorders should be held liable for screwing the customers - Also who said a drive will last 18 months to 2 years ? There is no way to predict how long a drive will last. I have been using my DVD burners on my PC for years, and since and burnt thousands if not more of DVDs of personal videos I had on 8mm and VHS and for friends and family and they still work strong - A good burner should be able to handle thousands of discs - Also I personally know someone who has had his DVD burner for years and uses them daily for archiving people's videos and they work just fine - If your DVD recorder lasts you 1 to 2 years then you have been scammed by a company who has cut corners and used shoddy parts inside. In your case yes i t was a gift, and I can understand why you want to hold on to it, but it would have cost you less maybe to send it to Pioneer for repair - Most of the problems with these recorders are mechanical - the boards can easily last for many years - Mechanical and power supply issues, since they use cheap shit generic power supplies that have limited hours. If you are lucky to still have those old burners they should last you a long time, but it seems lately most of what I see is utter crap now - that is the result of companies cutting corners to sell you your DVD recorder for $200 instead of $600 !

I'm happy for you that you got your recorder fixed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD burners are subject to the dangers of their own environment. Smoking, dust, moisture, humidity, dryness, temperature -- it all affects the life of a drive. Reading can be more damaging than burning too, so people who use their drives for play/recording AND reading/burning are prematurely killing the drive. This is a reason I tend to use players/readers for playing/reading, and burners only for writing.

These devices spin at a fast volume, and the bearings and motors are not eternal. Wear happens. When we ask for $30 drives, we're not going to get the best quality double-bearings and high-strength motors.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    DVD burners are subject to the dangers of their own environment. Smoking, dust, moisture, humidity, dryness, temperature -- it all affects the life of a drive.
    The drives are inside the recorders and inside a casing and well protected from the outside - Also the double door mechanisms used on DVD recorders keeps the dust out - as to moisture, well unless you use one in your basement at 80% Rh, then I wouldn't worry - most of the time those drive fail prematurely, NOT because of wear and tear, but because they are a piece of shit As far as the reading part and spinning fast, those are DVD recorders we are talking about, not high speed burners on your PC - video is read off the disc and buffered in memory - and same when recording - and it happens at 1x unless you are using a highspeed dubbing capable recorder - as to reading being more damaging - how so ? you are using a much higher laser power during burn - so unless you are playing your DVDs 24/7, I wouldn't worry - and BTW, I too use my recorders for recording. Normally, these drives, providing they are not defect out of the box, have a high MTBF rating, even if you take into account a 25% duty cycle, still that's a lot of hours of use - like I said some of these drives fail way too early before the time, before they should because of cost cotting and the flimsy shit they use - I've litteraly raped my DVD burner with many thousands of DVD burning and reading and high speed burning, and they are still kicking ! yet I had once a shitty liteon 811S that didn't last me 1 MFing year, laser went bad, go figure - Usually if you can use your recorder the first 6 to 9 months without problems, it should last you a long fuckin' time - because usually the failures occur within the first year Remember, DVD recorders are SUPPOSED to replace VCRs right, so they SHOULD be designed to be used on a regular basis -The internal motherboard, no problem it can go for many many years, providing there is no overheating - it's the drives and power supplies that go bad quick - it SHOULDN'T be. As far as Toshiba, I've seen the components they use, I wouldn't worry, those units are good and built solid. The LITEONs ? HAH big joke. If manufacturers used IDE drives in their recorders, they would go bankrupt, because people would never need to buy new recorders - because they would outlast the technology

Reading can be more damaging than burning too, so people who use their drives for play/recording AND reading/burning are prematurely killing the drive. This is a reason I tend to use players/readers for playing/reading, and burners only for writing.

These devices spin at a fast volume, and the bearings and motors are not eternal. Wear happens. When we ask for $30 drives, we're not going to get the best quality double-bearings and high-strength motors.[/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I highly agree that these burners should last a hell of a lot longer than they do. I got my DVR-220 in the beginning of 05, The sticker says it was built in 04.

I used it to play movies every day. And I mean 1-2 movies EVERY night. Then I used it to record my Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis every friday night on SCI-FI channel. My drive lasted me 3 years. I'm not sure if that is considered a good life or not really... I think in our current state of technology, a drive should be able to handle at least 5-7 years at minimum. But then, companies would lose big money if they built a product that didn't break down.

This drive I bought from Pioneer was not cheap at all. If it cost $50-60 I could understand it being crap. But this drive cost me $300. And that was just the drive, nothing else came with it. Not even the faceplate. I had to transfer that from the old one. (no biggie)

At $300, I would expect the drive to have gold plated connectors internally for better electrical connection etc. However, looking in the drive itself, I seriously see no better design or higher quality parts than the Sony DRU-840A DVD Burner in my pc. Normally, I would laugh at any company that tried to screw me for 3 bills on a drive. But, being that this is something that was important to me, I folded and said okay, I'll do it.

And well, it is a Pioneer.. They're customer service in this country sucks horribly. But I must admit, they build one hell of a product from what I've seen thus far. Same thing for Toshiba, they build a nice product as well.

I once bought a Liteon DVD burner for my pc... Only once.. What can I say? I was ignorant about the company at that time. Needless to say I returned it in less than 24 hours.. I wouldn't even use they're crap as a doorstop... I wouldn't want to insult my door.

It is funny in a way. People say the DVR-220 units have a tendency to blow the power supply board.. Yet, to this date, I have never had any issue with mine. Luck perhaps? Or could it help the situation that I have mine plugged into a battery backup power system by a company known as APC? My battery backup also is a spike protector as well. And my entire entertainment system is plugged into the battery backup unit.

As to sending it in for repair? Well, I spoke with a tech originally on that. He stated it would cost me $80 just to have them "bench it." then it would cost me $300 for the drive, and another $180-200 or so for labor. And then, I had to pay for return shipping to me. After doing the math, I knew it wasn't worth shipping to them. For $300 I got the drive, and another $45 I purchased the service remote from another company. Actual time it took to do the repair? Less than 30 minutes in real-time! For 30 minutes, they were willing to screw me out of another $200... That is sad and pathetic really.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by highvolumeJP
    The drives are inside the recorders and inside a casing and well protected from the outside
    Well protected? Not even close.
    Smoke, dust, moisture, humidity, dryness, temperature -- it all gets in, like it or not.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by highvolumeJP
    The drives are inside the recorders and inside a casing and well protected from the outside
    Well protected? Not even close.
    Smoke, dust, moisture, humidity, dryness, temperature -- it all gets in, like it or not.
    I have to agree with the smurf on this. I don't care what the drive is in. These things have holes in them to allow air flow for heat dissipation. Not to mention the fact that every time you open and close the drive bay your allowing free flow of air into the unit. What's in your air, is in your drive. Like it or not, you cannot avoid it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I regularly rub the upper edge of the DVD drive tray openings in my machines now since I noticed one day a THICK layer of dust deposited on the upper edge on my Pio 640... evidence of dust infiltration while the disc is spinning(?)... and we keep a very clean house, no smokers!
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto
    Over the next few weeks, monitor eBay listings for a used Pioneer computer
    DVD drive, model DVR-107 or DVR-A07- in fact I saw a couple on there this week.
    Buy one, they sell for about $30-50
    If one has no luck for awhile with that search, another category to look under is for used "DVD-Duplicators", as many of these have had Pioneer burners. I've seen older ones (with 107s in them) being sold intact as is, or even with the burners sold off individually. The downside is that there could easily be a lot more mileage racked up on those burners than on one you buy from an old PC-pull. But these are older, used units in any case, so it's going to be a crapshoot no matter what you do. You can ask up front, and just hope that the seller knows the answer and will be candid about it.

Originally Posted by Bagheera:
    At this point, I go for the little key that you stick in the emergency eject hole..
    I stick the key in to eject the disc... The drive opens a little, then slams shut
    like an oyster guarding a precious pearl.. At this point, I am no longer amused by
    my drives blatent disrespect to me..

Now, I realize that although this whole thing really comes across as comical..
    Sounds a bit reminiscent of that old comedy routine with the bowl of clam chowder, that still had a live clam in it. (Abbott and Costello used it a couple times, but they were surely not the first to do so, and far from the last.)

I once bought a Liteon DVD burner for my pc... Only once.. What can I say? I was
    ignorant about the company at that time. Needless to say I returned it in less
    than 24 hours.. I wouldn't even use they're crap as a doorstop... I wouldn't want
    to insult my door.
    Like many blanket statements, not necessarily correct. I've bought three of these so far, the first an 8x model, the other two 16x burners. One was used by a relative for at least a couple years, one of them I'm still using. They all saw at least moderate use. While they are not my first choice in burners, I've found them to be worthy.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I once bought a Liteon DVD burner for my pc... Only once.. What can I say? I was
    ignorant about the company at that time. Needless to say I returned it in less
    than 24 hours.. I wouldn't even use they're crap as a doorstop... I wouldn't want
    to insult my door.
    Originally Posted by Seeker47:
    Like many blanket statements, not necessarily correct. I've bought three of these so far, the first an 8x model, the other two 16x burners. One was used by a relative for at least a couple years, one of them I'm still using. They all saw at least moderate use. While they are not my first choice in burners, I've found them to be worthy.

Perhaps you are correct Seeker47.

My very limited experience with a drive purchased a few years ago, did not leave me with a good impression of the company. I found the drive to be very noisy, it sounded like a jet engine taking off. And had other issues as well. Perhaps the quality has come up a bit since my last purchase. I cannot remember the number of the drive at the moment, but it did get very bad press on the internet with many unhappy users at the time. I believe it had Litescribe built in. But honestly cannot remember anything else about it.

I apologize for my blanket statement. It truly might have been unfair to label ALL LiteOn products as junk.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by wabjxo
    I regularly rub the upper edge of the DVD drive tray openings in my machines now since I noticed one day a THICK layer of dust deposited on the upper edge on my Pio 640... evidence of dust infiltration while the disc is spinning(?)... and we keep a very clean house, no smokers!
    I recently noticed this as well, and it struck me as odd because I have a much older 510 and 531 in the same rack as the 640 which do not show this layer of dust. When I looked more closely, I discovered the "dust" on the 640 was actually residue from the apparently disintegrating foam rubber gasket around the rim of the tray faceplate. This foam gets sticky after awhile and leaves traces around the tray opening as it opens and closes. (If you have an old film camera, you notice the same thing causes "dust" on the mirror.) Strange that the older Pioneers seem to use better grade seals?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got some old DVR-107 and DVR-A07. Should anyone want it, send me e-mail at georgemakhk@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  22. The 107 dvd drive is selling at HK$80 upwards (US$10) in the Yahoo Hong Kong. Don't know if they accept overseas bid but if someone needs that, you may try contact the buyer direct.

http://hk.f2.page.auctions.yahoo.com/hk/auction/b9069419

Another set from the same seller which closes within 24 hours is bidding at US$8.

http://hk.f1.page.auctions.yahoo.com/hk/auction/1116941488
    Quote Quote