VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently purchased an LG RC897T combo DVD/VHS recorder which seems to work OK. Normally I use + RW discs to record shows, however with the Digital tuner, you can only use
    - RW discs in VR mode for copy-protected programs. I have a batch of Sony -RW's that I've used on other recorders with no problems. Yesterday I recorded a 3 hr football game using the
    897T and a DVD-RW disc at LP mode. While the disc plays fine on the LG, it will not play at
    all on my Philips 3575H, my Toshiba SX-32 reports an error "Disc Authentication Failed", but
    does play the video. On my other combo DVD/VHS player, also an LG, the video freezes
    in certain places and locks up the player. Last but not least, my 4 yr old Sony RDR-GX7
    plays it with no problem at all. I tried Finalizing and Unfinalizing the disc a few times, same
    result..... why would it play on older machines, an not newer ones ? Doesn't make any
    logical sense. The Sony discs are rated 1X -2X and recorded with no problems on the Sony,
    Toshiba and Philips using regular Video mode. Seems like problems came up using VR
    mode, which is the only way to record a Copy Once broadcast on the LG 897T.
    Does anyone have any similar experiences with DVD-RW VR mode, or is it peculiar to
    this machine only ? I was intending on buying a Panasonic EZ47VK until I read all the online
    reviews, now I'm wondering if I made the wrong choice getting the LG 897T.....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Media problems where manufacturer A's discs play fine on DVD player X but not on DVD player Y happen all the time. You should be aware that Sony hasn't sold good quality media in the USA for some years now. I'd recommend Verbatim for your DVD-RW needs.

I can't help you with the VR question as I don't have a standalone DVD recorder. I record TV directly to my PC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-RW in VR-mode can't be read by the 3575 or a lot of other DVDRs. If a DVDR can read and record to -RAM, which are in VR-mode, odds are it can read a VR-mode -RW.

The copy-protection that limits recording to a VR-mode disc (HDD or DVD) works perfectly... it limits your ability to do anything with it except watch, more or less.
    Quote Quote