VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been looking at buying a low-end DVD recorder for my mother who has a Sony E42A10 (has HDMI/HDCP input).

I was looking at the Toshiba D-R400 which seems to get great reviews on most aspects, but several online reviews mention something that the player's HDMI output "always expands any signal to 16:9 even if recorded at 4:3" which of course an HDTV really stretches! I would have thought this would be some sort of switchable option, etc.

thus users are switching to the component outputs for 4:3 sources (ie no upscaling).

My question is. is this a normal upconvert issue, or something specific to this model, all Toshibas, the chipset, etc?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is not really the answer you are looking for, but it does contain a few things that might be of incidental help to you.

Component outputs are fine in and of themselves and are not really any worse than DVI or HDMI. Having to use component video is not a bad thing.

If your TV is good enough, the upscaling hardware on it may be much better than that offered on a cheapish DVD player anyway. I have a cheap piece of crap Philips DVP-642 and I am getting outstanding results via component video to my 42" Samsung LCD HDTV. I let the TV do all the upscaling and I am getting an excellent quality picture. If your mother's TV is good enough, you won't miss anything but letting it do the upscaling. You don't HAVE to have an upscaling DVD player. You can let the TV do all the work. That's a little secret the hardware manufacturers and the electronics stores don't want you to know because there is a lot of erroneous belief that if you don't have an upscaling DVD player, you are screwed, when in fact you don't HAVE to have one at all.

I don't keep up with it because like I said I have a cheap player, but I have read about all kinds of weirdness with regards to HDMI outputs on various players. Your post doesn't surprise me at all.
    Quote Quote  
  3. jman - thanks for reply. as far as I can tell, the Sony TV she has doesnt have decent upscaling circuitry - many of the DVDs I have seen on it actually look quite bad.

given that, anyone else with suggestions on whether the 4:3 / 16:9 issue is with all recorders, etc?
    Quote Quote