VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I'm looking for a good dvd recorder that gives you the ability to navigate a dvd menu from the player itself. Thus it wouldn't require a remote to finalize the recorded disc.

Seeing a picture in one of the pinned threads here makes it appear that the Pioneer DVR 531H is one such recorder. Is that true? And is it a pretty good recorder or are there better ones with such a feature?

I also want the recorder that has an s-video imput and firewire imput. I would like it to also work with both + and - formats, including DL r.

I don't care if it has a hard disc drive and I don't plan on recording from tv. I don't need the recorder to make direct dvd copies either as I have a dvd burner on my computer for that. I just want to back up my Hi8 and vhs tapes. And a few from miniDV as well.
    Quote Quote  
  2. So can I ask why you dont want a remote? If you already mentioned it somewhere up there im sorry. Just Curious.
    LITEON man!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I think your needs are better met with a hardware MPEG 2 encoder connected to your computer rather than a standalone DVD recorder. If you don't want to record TV why have the thing taking up space?

Some older DVD recorders had many controls on the machine (such as my Pioneer DVR-510H) but those disappeared as prices dropped and the machines were reduced in size. I know I can do a lot of things from the front panel but I don't think finalizing a disc is one of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's not that I don't want one with a remote, I just don't want one that requires a remote. If I lose the remote or it dies like they all do (even with new batteries) within about 2 years*, my recorder would become completely useless.
    I know about those universal remotes but you always have to enter some super duper secret hidden magic code which I can never find, even if I try every possible combination. A remote would be pointless anyway because I already know I'll be sitting less than 2 feet from the machine.

*I have a good panasonic dvd player. The remote died after a whopping 3 years for the dvd player, but it still strangely works for the tv. Luckily we also have a panasonic portable dvd player and the remote that came with the portable machine also works with the other one. But it's still a major hassle to use one remote for two machines on different floors.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That's not really the case, you can get a remote that is programmed by your computer from Logitech for $50 at tigerdirect. They have a database of 10,000 machines. Just enter the serial or model number & it does the rest.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just for fun, I tried copying four TV shows from the hard drive of the 531 to a dvd-r including menu selection and finalizing. It worked. The only keys used were "Home Menu", "Enter", and the four arrow keys on the front panel.

The 533 is the version with a DV input but the DV input is not as sharp as with many other recorders according to Gshelley61.
    Quote Quote  
  7. All this and other forums do not say much for many machines that have remote problems, either not working or lost
    For my units, a Brand New remote that is factory and just as the original, because it is, can be purchased for $13 to $15 plus $5 to ship That’s about $20 for the new Original

On ebay I saw a Used one go for $26 plus $9 to ship that’s $35 for a used old one

Go figure

PS
    These units and remotes are over 3 years old. The remotes are still in perfect woking order
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. I checked around and found that pioneer 533 model reviewed at dvd-recorderreview.com. But the review is about 2 years old. Did one of the newer models (like the 633?) keep the same buttons on the machine?

The reason why I haven't looked into using a computer drive as a straight dvd recorder is because it's been really confusing just to get my video editing system up and running. I don't want to pull my hair out trying to install these drivers or codecs or formatting the system for... well you get the idea. For example, I have a firewire cable but I don't know what I have to do to get my computer to recognize it. That is what I want to avoid.
    I've worked with a dvd recorder before and they are pretty user friendly. For editing videos and capturing just parts, I'll use my computer with Vegas but for just a straight transfer to dvd, I want to keep it simple and not have to worry about harddrive space or overloading a cpu.

And will those remotes from Tiger Direct work with anything? Older vcr's or televisions? What about a laserdisc player or even a betamax vcr? Just wondering. You mean you just give them the serial (is that the same as model) number and they program the remote for you? I'd rather save the $50 at this point but I'll keep it in mind.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The One For All 8910 has operated anything I've ever tried it on, and that's a lot of stuff. Some stuff it had to be upgraded over the phone to operate, but in the end it works with everything. With the advanced functions they'll e-mail if you ask for them, I can do all functions on everything I've tried it on, except progressive scan on my Toshiba D-R4. Not bad for $20.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The 633 is not newer. It is the 533 with a 160 GB hard drive. The front panels of the 531, 533, and 633 are the same. The 633 is shown below,

The 640 is newer.

Quote Quote  
  11. SOme of the older recorders have the functions on the front panel.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One other thing. Is it easy to make a direct dvd copy from something that was recorded using one of these machines. Because I have one of those small simple sony machines that lets transfer stuff to dvd. It can't hook up to a tv and play stuff and the quality is not that good.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&stor...9219&langId=-1
    I recorded a video to a disc and tried to use Sonic record now to make a bunch of copies (like I had done with authored dvd's) but my computer froze.
    A friend tried to make a direct copy of the same disc using his more advanced computer but it didn't work for him either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You probably forgot to finalize it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I definitely finalized it. In fact, before I attempted to copy it, I watched it using a different dvd player. My computer had copied a - dvd a night before but this one wouldn't.
    Quote Quote