VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to back up my VCR tapes to my external hard drive. I was planning to copy them to DVD-RWs and then rip them to my hard drive, so any suggestions on a good VD recorder would be appreciated, but what would be even better would be if there is a device with a hard drive than I can record to and then simply transfer the video directly to my computer hard drive--via a USB port most likely--without having to go to the trouble and expense of burning DVDs. Does such a device exist?

I know there are devices where I can stream video to my computer, but these require me to leave my computer hooked up to my VCR during the entire duration of the tape, which is not convenient. I would prefer to buy a unit that has its own hard drive so I can hook it up to the VCR in the morning, take my computer to work with me, and when I come home in the evening my VHS tape is copied and I transfer it to my hard drive in a few minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe one of the new Pioneer HDD recorders with the media jukebox function would allow you to copy back throught the USB port. But, recorders work in VR mode and they seem to keep recordings and other media files separate, so you may not be able to see your recordings when you go to transfer them. Best answer would come from the company's tech support.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If it works like the phillips media jukebox function then the one thing you cant transfer thru usb is recordings. photos and mp3's and avi's fine, works both ways.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote