VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 16:9 MPEG-2 TS files (digital TV). The programs are in "pillarbox" format. I would like to be able to crop the pillars out (go to 4:3), and encode the file for burning to DVD.

If I try to use the "DVD ffmpeg" preset (disable "normalize audio" in the audio tab) and enter crop values, the cropping and encoding works, but the video is stretched (the aspect ratio stays 16:9).

I've tried just about every aspect size in the popup menu, but it's always 16:9. Is 16:9 forced when cropping is done?

A sample is here:

http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3I1HVUEXGA8BO3S4BENLGZ63OT
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I might be wrong, but I think all you need to do is choose the DVD ffmpeg preset, change the aspect ratio to DVD (not DVD 16x9), check the bitrate and be sure it will give you the size you need, do your audio the way you want, and than under options, check "Decode with Quicktime" and "Letterbox". This should automagically put the need black bars in so that when played on a 4:3 TV it looks normal and not stretched or anything.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a 4:3 program in "pillarbox" format. Pillarbox is used to show a standard TV program with a 4:3 aspect ratio on a high definition TV set with a 16:9 aspect ratio, black bars are displayed at the left and right sides to make up for the shorter width of the 4:3 frame. Contrast with letterbox.

I want to "extract" the 4:3 image from the 16:9 image, then encode it for DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gotcha. I'm not sure what to tell you, then. Sorry bout that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if I enter this command in the terminal I get the result I want:
    Code:
    /Applications/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg -i SOURCEFILE  -croptop 0 -cropbottom 8 -cropleft 166 -cropright 166  -aspect 4:3 -target ntsc-dvd -b 4000 -maxrate 8000 TARGETFILE
    I wish I could use the ffmpegX GUI to do this.

Dan
    Quote Quote  
  6. The following command is used if you choose "DVD ffmpeg" preset and disable "Normalize audio", and select appropriate crop values in the crop tab:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i SOURCE -target film-dvd -b 4000 -croptop 0 -cropbottom 0 -cropleft 166 -cropright 166 -aspect 4:3 .. TARGET
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I choose those settings in ffmpegX I get a stretched image. If I enter the command you list in the terminal, I get the 4:3 image. My guess is that the "-aspect 4:3" flag is not being set by ffmpegX.

Try it with the sample clip referenced in my original post.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry, the link has expired.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Major,

Have you been able to give this a try?

Dan
    Quote Quote  
  10. Are you sure you were not entering crop values in the letterbox (padding) fields instead of the cropping fields?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am quite certain I am not entering crop values in the letterbox fields. I use Autocrop.
    Quote Quote  
  12. You're right, when crop is enabled, the aspect flag was not sent. I log this in my to-do list for next version.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What's new in ffmpegX 0.0.9v:
    - Fixed aspect ratio issue when cropping in ffmpeg engine.
    Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  15. This works well, but leaves a final video size of 388 x 480. Thus caused audio playback problems for me. If you overspecify the width "-s 1080x480" and cropleft & cropright being 180 that will leave a final video size of 720 x 480. Works great. Dis not try width of 1096 x 480 with crops of 180.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!